Best starter VR system?

• I may soon be able to go VR, but being retired, the $$ will determine what I can do. So, as someone who only knows how to spell "VR" (but has seen from others what can be done), what might be the most affordable, yet satisfactory way to start off with a VR setup?? Thanks in advance.

• I think that the Oculus Rift with hand controllers is currently the best option if flight sims are your biggest VR area of interest.

The Vive has many advantages, including a larger base of programs, but I get better performance in all flight sims with the Oculus.

By far the best performing flight sim for VR is Aerofly FS 2. The others are still lagging far behind.

I have extensive experience with these two units, and none with any of the other options.

• If my PC can run FS2 great now, will it be able to handle a VR system as well? IOW, does the VR demand more from the system?

Here is a video, that while slightly dated, should still be informative. I would also recommend going to Steam and downloading and running the Steam VR performance test: https://store.steampowered.com/app/323910/Ste…rformance_Test/

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Devons rig

Intel Core i5-13600K - Core i5 13th Gen 14-Core (6P+8E) @ 5.5Ghz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 32GB RAM DDR5 6000 / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070Ti GAMING OC 12G / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 6x Samsung SSD/NVME's various sizes / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 ATX Motherboard DDR5

• If you want VR primarily for AFS2, then you might want to consider a Windows Mixed Reality system. I've been really impressed with this and ran it on a GTX 970 with a 3rd generation i5 (supposedly below minimum specs) with barely a stutter (only in the most built up areas). Windows MR is very easy to set up as there are no base stations. The criticism is that it cannot track controllers when they are outside your field of view, but this is not really an issue with AFS2. There's also bargains to be had. Have a search around and see what others think.