Missing Tiles in Photo Scenery

• Having made my first large area of photo scenery I wanted to add more. I downloaded the next area and compiled as normal. However flying over the area where they meet I get some odd things happening with missing tiles.

Any help greatly received. Thank you in advance. Regards, Michael.

Best wishes, Michael :)

• Thanks for your reply, nice in a way that I'm not on my own. I have remade the scenery several times thinking that maybe it overlapped too much? I have been making scenery for many years for other sims but this one has me scratching my head!

I have two folders so far, they work perfectly OK using one at a time in the scenery, images folder. As soon as I put both folders into the scenery, images folder it goes crazy.

Michael.

PS I have made a "Test" area and can confirm that loading one area at a time into fs2 works perfectly OK. The moment you have several area folders the "missing tile" problem starts.

Edited once, last by IZ0JUB (August 28, 2018 at 3:02 PM).

• Hi Paul,

Firstly thank you for helping out.

I had a quick look at the link and on the face of it looks like a modern day FSET.

I have used FSET for many years making tons of scenery for FSX and P3D with no issues whatsoever.

However being new to fs2 is becoming a bit of a nightmare for me as I have made West Wales over to London in FSET level 2 and it took the GeoConverterHelper almost two days to compile.

That scenery and water look perfectly fine, in fact a lot clearer in fs2 then I have ever seen in the other sims mentioned.

However continuing north to add more scenery downloaded again in FSET at level 2 and just for testing did level 9 and 11 using the converter.

Where the sceneries join I have missing tiles some if I fly over them appear like magic and then disappear.

Its becoming very frustrating.

If you think this other software is the cure all then I will devote time to it, however looking at it it doesn't seem too simple to operate?

Thanks again, kindest regards Michael.

• Where the sceneries join I have missing tiles some if I fly over them appear like magic and then disappear.

Hi Michael,

I have used both FSET and AeroScenery, I find AeroScenery much simpler to use (less effort required) and the whole process is a lot faster (for me anyway)

Similar to you, I used to have tiles appear like magic, this is no longer the case. NOTE: I reduced the visibility a little (seems to have a positive effect)

There is no real learning curve using AeroScenery, nickhod has made the tool as simple as can be :) and is continually improving it.

Keep it up, you will not regret using these tools and AFS2.

Cheers,

Paul

Handy cultivation tools

Windows 10 64bit | iCore7-7770K| ASUS STRIX Z270E |KHX2400C15D4 - 32GB | Gigabyte Ge-Force GTX 1080Ti| SSD Intel 520 Series | 40" Philips BDM4065UC/75 4K - Oculus Rift

• Hi Michael,

This is very likely due to masked tiles being present on the outer perimeter of your converted scenery. It's been explained many times buried in threads all over this forum, but still seems to cause confusion for many.

To summarize: AeroFly's world is broken into square tiles. At different geonconvert levels (e.g. levels 9,10,11,12,13,14 &15) these tiles are a fixed size. The higher the level number, the smaller the tile in terms of geographic area.

In order to geoconvert photo scenery into one of these tiles, you should have imagery that *completely* covers each tile. For the lower numbered tiles like level 9, that means having a very large area of photoscenery because the tiles themselves are very large.

The reason you see issues at the boundaries is because: if you don't have complete imagery coverage for your biggest tiles before running geoconvert, AND if you have the option to use masks enabled, geonconvert will create a partial tile from your partial imagery, and a separate mask file that blocks out the area where you didn't have complete imagery.

The problem with this is that the mask creates an area that will appear as a permanent gap between scenery if you try to add anything more around it. Because of this, myself and others started encouraging people to *not* use mask tiles at all unless they really understood what they were doing, and instead use a tool that calculates the boundaries of the AeroFly tiles so that complete areas could be converted without needing masks. This ensures that you never have problems with gaps in your scenery.

Now thanks Nick and his AeroScenery tool, you don't really need to understand these things at all because his tool does what I described above automatically.

If you want to fix your existing scenery without reconverting all of it, it can be done but requires a significant understanding of the tile structure. You need to go into the folder and find the .ttc files that have been masked. Ones that have been masked will have a corresponding mask file with the same name, except 'mask' will be appended to the filename. For every pair of tile and mask, you need to note the filename of each of these, and then delete the regular .ttc files and their corresponding masks. After that, you can reconvert just those tiles.

• Many many thanks qwerty42 and others for your support, its been very frustrating at this end making scenery and after several days of processing not seeing it as you should.

However it would seem thanks to Nick, I think it is in Cardiff, Wales that all is sorted in his "Aeroscenery" software.

So as a new comer to this any help here would be greatly appreciated.

It seems silly but how do you zoom in and out on the selected satellite map?

If there is a step by step tutorial some where please advise.

Thanks again to everyone.

Kindest regards, Michael.