Pimax 8k Shipping this month?

• Did anyone here back the kickstarter for the Pimax 8k? I didn't but I've been following it closely for a year so its a relief to see it get close to the finish line. For those who aren't up on this its a VR headset with about twice the field of view that the Vive and Rift has and a lot more pixels for hopefully a sharper image. But will it be sharper? Those pixels are spread out over a much wider area and the extra GPU workload means you will probably need to turn off your supersampling so the question is how does the net effect look? Also the 8k version does not drive every pixel but uses upscaling so their other version, the 5k, may even be sharper. An 8Kx will follow at some point which does drive every pixel and probably will require an RTX2080ti.

It uses the Vive tracking system so you'dneed to be on Vive for now to have the bits to go with it.

https://www.roadtovr.com/pimax-8k-to-be…plus-announced/

Also they had a meetup of kickstarter backers a week ago. A few videos were made of first impressions. No-one tested FS2 :(

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• I have run FS2 on PIMAX 8K. It runs beautifully. I can’t say much as it’s still under NDA.

Best news all week. I'm looking forward to hearing a lot more after Sept 16th

• Looks really interesting and I think 8k headsets will really turn VR into something magical. Perfect for flight sims where we need to see instruments clearly. However, I'm biding my time until the Gtx 2080 and a future Oculus "flagship" headset in year or two.

I've never been keen on how you need to install tracking high in the corners of the room for a Vive or the design of the Vive touch controllers.

Oculus got a lot of stuff right (in my opinion), so I'm going to stick with them for the next generation of headsets.

AeroScenery - Easily create photoreal scenery for Aerofly

• Looks really interesting and I think 8k headsets will really turn VR into something magical. Perfect for flight sims where we need to see instruments clearly. However, I'm biding my time until the Gtx 2080 and a future Oculus "flagship" headset in year or two.

I've never been keen on how you need to install tracking high in the corners of the room for a Vive or the design of the Vive touch controllers.

Oculus got a lot of stuff right (in my opinion), so I'm going to stick with them for the next generation of headsets.

I agree that oculus got a lot of stuff right however I really don't think they care about our use case. I think they just want 1 billion people in Facebook VR chat rooms. Oculus Go is a good step towards that and the Santa Cruz which we might get next year isn't high end either.

• Great video! Some of those guys say 200 degree FOV on Pimax 8K is still questionable with distortion and 170 degrees is the sweet spot. I could live with that :D Just because screen door is practically non noticeable on Pimax, I still question if its enough to fully read the cockpit dashboard in VR (Need that in-game VR zoom!). I hope that other brands make their next gen VR to the standards of Pimax. It's what is drastically needed. Looking forward to hear what Pimax backers have to say about FS2!

• I’m a Pimax 8K Kickstarter backer, and look forward to receiving the headset at some point before Xmas. I’m a bit down on the list, so it might be a couple of months after shipping starts until I receive mine. While it would probably run AFS2 well with my 1080 card, I have somehow managed to justify the decision to splash out on a RTX2080Ti Founders Edition that should be in the mail sometime next week. Will post up my experiences once the new aquisitions show up.

Flying A330 as a day-job and enjoy VR-flying with PIMAX 5k+. NextLevelRacing v.3 Motion platform, Watercooled and overclocked i9-9900k, 32Gb 3600RAM, Samsung 970EVO Pro 2Tb m.2, nVidia RTX-2080Ti FE, Thrustmaster HOTAS, VKB pedals, Cockpitforyou motorised throttle quadrant, Precision Flight Controls Jetliner column

• I’m a Pimax 8K Kickstarter backer, and look forward to receiving the headset at some point before Xmas. I’m a bit down on the list, so it might be a couple of months after shipping starts until I receive mine. While it would probably run AFS2 well with my 1080 card, I have somehow managed to justify the decision to splash out on a RTX2080Ti Founders Edition that should be in the mail sometime next week. Will post up my experiences once the new aquisitions show up.

greate, we will be waiting for your experience

Consider it a public service for the benefit of the rest of us. Excellent decision I'd say.

i5-12600K/MSI RTX 3080/Win11/64Gb RAM/Asus Xonar DX+ Beyer DT990 pro headphones/LG 34" UM65 @2560x1080/Quest Pro/TM Warthog+VKB MkIV Rudder pedals

There are mixed messages about 8k backers having options to trade in for 8Kx when it arrives. Your new card could probably power that.. in fact easily so if foveated rendering ever materialises.

• I backed the pimax 8k and was at the berlin backer event.

This headset will be a big improvement for flight simmers, finally more visible details!

However, maybe i change to the pimax 5k+ which was also presented in berlin and made a quite good impression.

Still waiting to decide until the in-depth reviews are released later this week.

• I backed the pimax 8k and was at the berlin backer event.

This headset will be a big improvement for flight simmers, finally more visible details!

However, maybe i change to the pimax 5k+ which was also presented in berlin and made a quite good impression.

Still waiting to decide until the in-depth reviews are released later this week.

Do you find 5K+ has better perceived resolution than 8K?

I am waiting for my 5K+ which should arrive very soon, and I will compare the performance of the two on FS2.

Edit: I just checked the mail. 5k+ has been sent to me, and it will arrive tomorrow.

Edited once, last by frui (September 11, 2018 at 4:36 AM).

• Do you find 5K+ has better perceived resolution than 8K?

I am waiting for my 5K+ which should arrive very soon, and I will compare the performance of the two on FS2.

Edit: I just checked the mail. 5k+ has been sent to me, and it will arrive tomorrow.

It seemed that 5k+ had a bit sharper Picture and and lesser distortion on the edges left and Right

Also the constant 90hz are nice.

But i am totally unsure...on the other Hand the 8k had a bit lesser SDE.

Awesome that you got it so early, let us know what you think when NDA is lifted!

I am a backer with rather low number and should get it in the first Delivery Batch.

I remember, that even as amazing as it is the current VR generation, I felt a bit disappointed when I realize about the glass-door effect. I have faith in the future devices, but that will means to wait a couple of years for me.

you mean the Screen Door Effect? That is barely visible with the Pimax 8k and 5k+...compared to Vive and Rift it is much better.

• This will be interesting. Both in theory should be worse resolution than the Pimax 4k which has 100 degrees or so FOV. Only the 8KX would improve on resolution is my understanding. Possibly if the 5k+ is not quite as big an FOV as suggested will we have something with a big step up. Then again the 4k has no proper tracking.

• It seemed that 5k+ had a bit sharper Picture and and lesser distortion on the edges left and Right

Also the constant 90hz are nice.

But i am totally unsure...on the other Hand the 8k had a bit lesser SDE.

Awesome that you got it so early, let us know what you think when NDA is lifted!

I am a backer with rather low number and should get it in the first Delivery Batch.

I also expect 5k+ to be sharper as it uses more percentage of the LCD panel, which has been confirmed by Robin. This is especially important for FS2. For sims, every pixel matters.

you mean the Screen Door Effect? That is barely visible with the Pimax 8k and 5k+...compared to Vive and Rift it is much better.

Yes, I always make de same mistake. 😜

Looking forward to read your impressions. Also don't forget to mention your rig. ;)

• Do you find 5K+ has better perceived resolution than 8K?

i can't bear the tension. Did it arrive?