• What does everyone think is the best way of representing a simple 2D grass or dirt runway in AFS?

1) Just define the airport in the TSC and don't add any models

2) Add a transparent runway poly so the elevation mesh is smoothed, but the orthophoto scenery underneath is still visible

3) Texture the runway poly with either a grass or dirt texture. (The texture might be a very different colour to the orthophoto scenery underneath though).

I'm specifically thinking about my work with auto-generating airports from raw data. If you were doing it by hand you could try to match colours.

AeroScenery - Easily create photoreal scenery for Aerofly

• 1) Just define the airport in the TSC and don't add any models

2) Add a transparent runway poly so the elevation mesh is smoothed, but the orthophoto scenery underneath is still visible

3) Texture the runway poly with either a grass or dirt texture. (The texture might be a very different colour to the orthophoto scenery underneath though).

I use number 2 so far. If the ground photo is good enough, it usually provides the best results IMO. Edit : you may even locally geoconvert this area in Level 15, or as the case may be Level 16 whenever it works)

You just define the airport mesh without any runway and set it to transparent. It creates a soft flattening (much softer than when drawing a runway) enabling ground operations.

Number 1) makes it too bumpy.

If you have a very good grass texture you can try it for number 3, but depending on ground photo colours, it may get quite tricky to prevent your runway from visually popping up on your scenery...

Cheers

Antoine

Config : i7 6900K - 20MB currently set at 3.20GHz, Cooling Noctua NH-U14S, Motherboard ASUS Rampage V Extreme U3.1, RAM HyperX Savage Black Edition 16GB DDR4 3000 MHz, Graphic Card Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 8GB, Power supply Corsair RM Series 850W, Windows 10 64 bit.

Edited 3 times, last by Trespassers (September 11, 2018 at 3:51 PM).

• Now AFS2 just needs the ability to set the runway type in the tsc and model the extra drag and bumpiness of grass or dirt.

Currently there's nothing such I'm afraid - maybe in the future ?

Cheers

Antoine

Config : i7 6900K - 20MB currently set at 3.20GHz, Cooling Noctua NH-U14S, Motherboard ASUS Rampage V Extreme U3.1, RAM HyperX Savage Black Edition 16GB DDR4 3000 MHz, Graphic Card Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 8GB, Power supply Corsair RM Series 850W, Windows 10 64 bit.