Cultivation template file for scenProc

• I have compiled a scenProc script that allows creation of Trees, Lights and Buildings (including high rise) in the one script. The script allows for the creation of suburban houses, suburban apartment buildings, industrial areas and city high rise areas all at once. This negates the need to have separate TOCs for tall buildings, other buildings and trees. I found this script gave a pretty accurate representation of my own city when combined with photo realistic scenery from FSET or AeroScenery. I have added some additional comments in the script to explain some values used and a few options.

The script has a working airport area exclusion, but only excludes buildings. I found that creating buildings, trees and lighting all from the OpenStreetMap source, negated the need to exclude plants and lights from airport areas. The original exclusion lines for lights and tress are just commented out so add them back in if you need to, and you will need to use more than just the 2 lines to exclude all light and plant types

As all vegetation information is sourced from OpenSteetMap data, the vegetation coverage is not as detailed as the source bitmap method kindly documented by kenventions. But OpenStreetMap data seems to have a lot of forests, parks etc, so coverage is still pretty good (in Australia at least). Using the OpenStreetMap data for trees also does away with the problem of trees appearing in odd areas like cultivated fields, waterways etc that I was experiencing when using the bitmap method.

The script is designed for areas that have a suburban areas with higher proportion of single level houses as we have here is Australia. However I have included details of how to get more 2 and 3 story houses common in European suburban areas, in the script. Thanks to kenventions and Rodeo and other forum members for their source data and information that allowed development of this script.

I assume you already have looked at the various tutorials about cultivation creation and know how to use scenProc, so to try this script for yourself, just:-

. download Template_ver7.txt

. rename it to Template_ver7.spc

. edit Template_ver7.scp with your input folder and file from OpenStreetMaps, your exclude folder and filename and your output file folder and filename.

. Should be then right to run it through scenProc and into FS2.

Note - Version 2.0.0.0 of scenProc DEV 2/09/2019 or higher is required to enable all features of Ver 7 of this script, so you may need to update if on an older version. Theis version of scenProc is not backwards compatible with older scripts, unless you update the CreateAF2Building lines in those older scripts.

See post on page 6 for full details of the Version 7 update.

• Great file, thanks.

With the spacing of the trees of 0.00025 degrees the trees are in a distance of 27m to each other (111'000m x 0.00025, one degree is 111km). By changing this value i got much denser forests.

Regards,

Thomas

i7-14700KF @ 5.6 GHz, Geforce RTX 4090, 32MB RAM, 1TB SSD M.2, 1TB SSD M.2, 2TB SSD M.2, 32" Monitor 4K, Pimax Crystal

• Great file, thanks.

With the spacing of the trees of 0.00025 degrees the trees are in a distance of 27m to each other (111'000m x 0.00025, one degree is 111km). By changing this value i got much denser forests.

Tom,

What value are you using for tree density?

Regards,

Ray

• Usually with 0.0001 which gives a 11m distance between the trees, much nicer than the 27m with 0.00025. I have also tried with denser trees but too dense does not look natural because of how the trees are structured.

Regards,

Thomas

i7-14700KF @ 5.6 GHz, Geforce RTX 4090, 32MB RAM, 1TB SSD M.2, 1TB SSD M.2, 2TB SSD M.2, 32" Monitor 4K, Pimax Crystal

• Usually with 0.0001 which gives a 11m distance between the trees, much nicer than the 27m with 0.00025. I have also tried with denser trees but too dense does not look natural because of how the trees are structured.

OK thanks.

Regards,

Ray

• Looks nice Chris! I plan to give it a try on several big city areas and will post how it goes. With Nick's idea for a toc hub to share cultivation files, your script would help speed up and standardize toc development for each level 10 tile in his hub.

Do your tall buildings remain visible from distances beyond 5-6km from your aircraft?

• I had to use the Development release of scenProc

Thanks, have updated the original post with the version of scenProc used.

Do your tall buildings remain visible from distances beyond 5-6km from your aircraft?

Unfortunately the disappearing buildings is still in issue. This appears to be problem with Fs2 rather than any values in the cultivation files.

Have updated the template with the following enhancements:-

. Can load and process single or multiple exclude files by default (assumes that all .kml files in the source folder are to be used). Substitute .shp if you are using those.

. Will now exclude marine parks by default that usually result in "Trees in the Sea". Also handles Marine parks in Australia that don't have the word "Marine" in their name but are very conveniently consistently named. Any other Marine park without "Marine" in the name will have to be excluded using an exclude polygon. I didn't use any complicated OR statements, just stuck the 2 filters in different sections. Luckily both sections seem to work.

. Added comments about the effect of the SplitGrid command on scenProc running time and output files.

. Added comments and options for excluding plants.

. Added comments about increasing plant density and the effect of increased density on scenProc running time.

The enhancements have been tested on my local cultivation areas.

Thanks, Chris

Win 10 64-bit, 24GB RAM, i5-9400F @ 3.9, 6GB Nvidia RTX-2060

• Thanks for the script mate, makes it easy :)

Handy cultivation tools

Windows 10 64bit | iCore7-7770K| ASUS STRIX Z270E |KHX2400C15D4 - 32GB | Gigabyte Ge-Force GTX 1080Ti| SSD Intel 520 Series | 40" Philips BDM4065UC/75 4K - Oculus Rift

• New version of the template with the following enhancements:-

. Modified industrial building height for greater realism as industrial building floor heights are generally greater than other building types.
    . Modified apartments, residential, office, commercial and retail to use building_level only where that value exists in the source file.
    . Added additional code lines for apartments, residential, office, commercial and retail to create random floor levels for larger buildings with no building_level value. This change had a big impact on the city and suburban realism.
    . Modified visuals for larger residential buildings to provide some variety to residential & apartment high rises overall.
    . Set default to comment out SplitGrid command as running time penalty is smaller than I thought.

Thanks, Chris

• New version of the template with the following enhancements:-

. Modified industrial building height for greater realism as industrial building floor heights are generally greater than other building types.
    . Modified apartments, residential, office, commercial and retail to use building_level only where that value exists in the source file.
    . Added additional code lines for apartments, residential, office, commercial and retail to create random floor levels for larger buildings with no building_level value. This change had a big impact on the city and suburban realism.
    . Modified visuals for larger residential buildings to provide some variety to residential & apartment high rises overall.
    . Set default to comment out SplitGrid command as running time penalty is smaller than I thought.

It will be interesting to see if the code can be refined and fine-tuned to create some "almost instant 3d buildings mixed with houses and hangars" like a small military base. I am thinking something like the Marine Base on Oahu at Kaneohe Bay. Here we have some large older style hangars, some semi-modern multistory buildings, some typical storage tanks and a fairly large family housing area with single family houses, duplexes and quadraplexes.

Wouldn't it be great to have something that the user can create or download without having 3 or 4 support programs and learning how to use each one and how they feed each other?

Regards,

Ray

Hey gang,

I just tried to download ver 2.0.0.0 of ScenProc and got errors. It appears there is not a radio button selection for Aerofly FS2. Can someone post a link for the version you are using here.

win10 i7 8700 1080 Ti

Regards,

Ray

• Ray,

don't care about these options. Just press cancel and go on with scenProc.

I mentioned this at 3:30 in Aerofly FS 2 cultivation video

Yep. I unclicked the radio button and all is well. Thanks.

Is Whidbey 2.0 still on your radar?

Regards,

Ray

• Hi Ray,

Whidbey, Lake Chelan, Venice.... they are all done to a certain level but need fine tuning which is more time consuming than the rest.

But during the summer time I'm more on the model flying field andrepairing my rc models than working on the pc.

Nethertheless winter will come... ;)

See you

Rodeo

• Have updated the template to version 5 with the following enhancements:-

. Reduced running time with correct use of SplitGrid & MergeGrid commands.
    . Added new plant area for wetlands.
    . Added new plant area for golf courses.
    . Added new building type for hotels.
    . Added new building type for retail.
    . Modified building creation to use building area instead of building length for greater realism for row houses and smaller apartments.
    . Removed shopping centre parking shade sail structures that were appearing as residential buildings.
    . Corrected plant areas not appearing in FS2. This occurred where the area was in 2 or more extraction categories (ie any 2 or 3 combinations of landuse, natural & leisure). So an area with values natural="wood" & leisure="nature_reserve" were in 2 polygon areas, caused the plants to disappear in FS2. This was fixed with a few exclusions in the "PlacePointsInPolygon" lines.
    . Updated tree density defaults for greater realism. Correct use of the SplitGrid/MergeGrid commands now sees little time penalty for denser trees.

Future development:-

. plant sets for tropical and temperate areas

. more work on plant areas and building types

Thanks, Chris