Cultivation template file for scenProc

• Chris,

Thank you so very much for your specialized talents and willingness to work with us novices. I do so very much appreciate it.

No to the size of the OSM area, I have tested it down to a square mile or two with no changes in the house density. I agree that OSM data is very spotty, I have that around where I live also. I would think Titusville Florida would be up to date with good data but, who knows.

East Center Florida where it land juts out to the East is Cape Canaveral/Kennedy Space Center. That is the area I am working in today. -80 w 29 deg will get you in the neighborhood.

Regards,

Ray

• East Center Florida where it land juts out to the East is Cape Canaveral/Kennedy Space Center. That is the area I am working in today. -80 w 29 deg will get you in the neighborhood.

Hi Ray, Looking at the area in OSM the problem is that there is very little data recorded for buildings, so scenProc can't create much. Unless you use another source your cultivation is not going to get any better. OSM is the only source I am aware of but I know other users have produced more detailed areas where OSM has a lot less detail.

The gray squares inside the red circles represent buildings in Titusville. Notice there are on very few gray squares. It you use the select tool and click on a building you can see what values are available for that building. Most buildings I clicked on contained the same values as this one, which was virtually nothing. Trees are not a problem as green areas seem to be well documented in this area.

Compare this with the area in the region I live. It is filled with buildings! The city centre shown in green has nearly every building recorded. The urban areas in red in the red circle are also well detailed, as is the commercial and residential areas around it. Also the buildings themselves are well documented with the type of buildings and the number of levels. This level of detail gives good results with cultivation. Unfortunately this level of detail is not sustained through all of the suburban and industrial areas of my region. Some are like this, some a bit sparser, and some with nothing. But like your area, green areas are well documented in most places.

Thanks, Chris

Win 10 64-bit, 24GB RAM, i5-9400F @ 3.9, 6GB Nvidia RTX-2060

• Might be able to figure out a way to define those areas where you want buildings with a polygon and then have ScenProc turn those polygons into several random points (like converting a forest area to trees) that ScenProc can then use to create buildings.

• Might be able to figure out a way to define those areas where you want buildings with a polygon and then have ScenProc turn those polygons into several random points (like converting a forest area to trees) that ScenProc can then use to create buildings.

Perhaps get the Centroids from here and convert to polygons in QGIS

Handy cultivation tools

Windows 10 64bit | iCore7-7770K| ASUS STRIX Z270E |KHX2400C15D4 - 32GB | Gigabyte Ge-Force GTX 1080Ti| SSD Intel 520 Series | 40" Philips BDM4065UC/75 4K - Oculus Rift

• Thanks.

When you are talking about building are you meaning residential houses?

There are sufficient “buildings” as far as commercial buildings, just almost no residential houses.

Regards

Ray

• The following picture shows the region of Titusville exported from OSM and opened in JOSM. JOSM allows to underline the osm data with bing images among many others (second picture). JOSM is one of the tools used by the people adding information to OSM, one can draw buildings, streets, forests, trees etc. With JOSM I have added single trees to OSM data close to Bern airport and then generated a toc file through ScenProc. Works fine but is a lot of work. The pictures of Titusville below show another limitating weakness of the osm data: there is almost no garden vegetation (trees, bushes). Even if we have residential houses the trees are still missing, and this does not look good.

Regards,

Thomas

i7-14700KF @ 5.6 GHz, Geforce RTX 4090, 32MB RAM, 1TB SSD M.2, 1TB SSD M.2, 2TB SSD M.2, 32" Monitor 4K, Pimax Crystal

• The following picture shows the region of Titusville exported from OSM and opened in JOSM.

Thanks for the information Thomas. I'll definitely have a look at this. I can see that this would allow you to easily add missing objects. For me this would perhaps be most suitable to add missing landmarks near airports. Personally I would want to avoid manually adding a lot of objects to the OSM data, just from a time and effort perspective. My preference is to create sufficient detail to enhance the realism of the FS2 with the least possible effort. After all you're only going to fly over it briefly.

Thanks, Chris

• Even if we have residential houses the trees are still missing, and this does not look good.

This is the primary reason I use the photoscenery approach for trees versus OSM data - you get lots of residential trees in the neighborhoods.

• I guess the OSM data varies greatly from location to location. It appears to me that South Florida is loaded with cultivation data and also the west coast of Florida but the central and east coast is sorely lacking in residential data. Just having the trees (forests) and commercial buildings adds a lot to the view.

puzzling that cities like Daytona Beach is almost totally void of any houses. I wonder where all those retired folks are living? ;)

Thanks guys for digging into this for me. I wish I knew more about how to read and understand the ScenPro codes.

Chris, can you tell me which line(s) calls for just plain old residential houses? The returns or results seem to be out of whack with reality. I may run the Tampa/St. Pete area again just to see how many houses are placed.

Regards,

Ray

• Chris, can you tell me which line(s) calls for just plain old residential houses?

Houses are at line 100 & 101 in the version 5 template

CreateAF2Building|NOT building ="roof" And FAREARAT>0.7 And FAREA <400|1|1|gable|residential|0
    CreateAF2Building|NOT building ="roof" And FAREARAT>0.7 And FAREA >=400 And FAREA <700|2|1|gable|residential|0

Thanks, Chris

• Have updated the template with the following enhancements:-

. Added feature to filter buildings from airport areas automatically. It is no longer necessary to create an exclude for airport areas. This works in most parts of the world.
    . Added feature to remove trees from playing fields. In Australia UK and the USA it is common to have playing fields located in areas designated in OSM as parks. Without this update you end up with trees appearing in playing fields such as cricket pitches, hockey fields, baseball diamonds etc. European countries do not seem to categorise areas with playing fields as parks in OSM, so is not a problem for them. Note - this feature has a slight time penalty of about 2 minutes on level 10 my test area.
    . Corrected comments about the size splitting of houses.
    . Added new plant area for scrub (Australia specific I think)
    . Added new street lighting with traffic lights created by Kenventions.

Thanks, Chris

• Hello Chris and Ken and all others,

Can someone look at the code to place round tanks at petrochemical plants rather than buildings. See two attachments. This is in Pascagoula MS SW of Mobile AL.

N 30.35 deg W 88.47 deg

Regards,

Ray

storage tanks are represented as buildings

real world view of tanks without cultivation

• I thought FSCloudPort has tanks as objects you can place at your airport - if so, you can fake an airport and place the FSCP tanks wherever you want.

Adding tanks with fsCP can be done but fsCP only has two sizes of the low profile type tanks. Adding tanks using fsCP would require some sort of exclusion for the cultivation which would be difficult to keep up with.

I think a better choice would be for scenPro to recognize a tank if is in the OSM data,

Something in the code is recognizing a round tank as a building and placing a square building at that location and that is not correct.

Regards,

Ray

• ScenProc uses the building textures in the airport's building_textures folder - I don't think ScenProc can create FS2 tanks in its current version, just houses and buildings.

The OSM data probably has those tanks tagged in the "building" group. If the tank has a sub-tag of something like "tank" or "storage tank" then a ScenProc line can be added to skip the tanks when it's generating buildings so you don't get those square buildings on top of your tanks.

• Ray, try replacing these 2 lines from Chrispy's template ...

CreateAF2Building|building="yes" And FAREARAT>0.7 And FAREA >=700 And FAREA <6000|2|1|flat|commercial|0

CreateAF2Building|building="yes" And FAREARAT>0.7 And FAREA >=700 And FAREA >=6000|4|1|flat|commercial|0

with these 2 lines to remove the warehouse buildings from your storage tank locations ...

CreateAF2Building|building="yes" And man_made<>"storage_tank" And FAREARAT>0.7 And FAREA >=700 And FAREA <6000|2|1|flat|commercial|0

CreateAF2Building|building="yes" And man_made<>"storage_tank" And FAREARAT>0.7 And FAREA >=700 And FAREA >=6000|4|1|flat|commercial|0

• CreateAF2Building|building="yes" And man_made<>"storage_tank" And FAREARAT>0.7 And FAREA >=700 And FAREA <6000|2|1|flat|commercial|0

CreateAF2Building|building="yes" And man_made<>"storage_tank" And FAREARAT>0.7 And FAREA >=700 And FAREA >=6000|4|1|flat|commercial|0

Don't think that will work as scenProc only imports the following fields for any object even when you nominate everything "*"..

aeroway,amenity,boundary,building,craft,geological,historic,landuse,leisure,military,natural,office,place,shop,sport,tourism

You would need to add "man_made" to osmconf.ini in order to use it as a restriction.

Also I haven't had any luck using "<>", so I think you would need to use "NOT" as indicated below.

CreateAF2Building|building="yes" And NOT man_made="storage_tank" And FAREARAT>0.7 And FAREA >=700 And FAREA <6000|2|1|flat|commercial|0

CreateAF2Building|building="yes" And NOT man_made="storage_tank" And FAREARAT>0.7 And FAREA >=700 And FAREA >=6000|4|1|flat|commercial|0

Thanks, Chris