• In the VR settings there is an interesting setting called scale factor. I always had the feeling that the cockpit of the F15 and also the F18 seems to be to wide, in reality they are quite narrow. I changed the scale factor to -50 and that seems better. For airliners a +30 seems appropriate.

Regards,

Thomas

i7-14700KF @ 5.6 GHz, Geforce RTX 4090, 32MB RAM, 1TB SSD M.2, 1TB SSD M.2, 2TB SSD M.2, 32" Monitor 4K, Pimax Crystal

• The cockpits are modeled at a 1:1 scale, so they all should feel right with the scale factor fixed.

The a320 cockpit for example is not as big as one might think, if you kindly ask the pilots if you can enter the cockpit after the flight you will see that you need to keep you head down so that you don't bump it into the ceiling.

Regards,

Jan

• In the VR settings there is an interesting setting called scale factor. I always had the feeling that the cockpit of the F15 and also the F18 seems to be to wide, in reality they are quite narrow. I changed the scale factor to -50 and that seems better. For airliners a +30 seems appropriate.

I have the same impression in Virtual Reallity .It rather depends on what plane you are on.

I dont know combat planes but I know B747-400, b737 And King Air the scale is 00 you dont need to change anything.

A320 you will need to reduce -10

C172 +07

b58 baron +28

I think it is a good tool we can adjust the scale to our views.

There isnt any sim with this important tool .

In other sim I have the impression that I am in a small plane that I cant change

• Although the aircraft are modeled 1:1 the perception of scale will vary on a per individual basis.

IPD, Inter Pupilliary Distance, is the distance between the center of the right eye to the center of the left eye of the viewer. If the distance between the two "cameras" or viewpoints which represent each eye in the virtual world are a different distance than the IPD of the person viewing the scene, the world scale will be out of wack.

The IPD can be adjusted on VR headsets by changing the physical distance between the lenses. You do this routinely to get the most comfortable view with the least blurry and maximized sweet spot area. Again you are adjusting IPD for a comfortable experience with minimum eye strain and maximum sweet spot.

Unless the application queries the headset IPD and adjusts the application 'stereoscopic camera IPD', the world scale will appear incorrectly to the viewer.
    An example would be DCS World, it does not query the IPD but also has a user adjustable parameter for IPD / World Scale.

Most of the time I fly the Baron. I know that the cabin in the cockpit is 3'6" wide (~1067mm). I cut a piece of 1" PVC pipe to that length to use as a 'gauge'.

I have my Oculus Rift on sitting on the ramp in the Baron. I adjust my seat (mapped to my hotas) and hold the PVC gauge in front of me and tip the the headset off my face and peek out at the gauge. If you try it you will find you can more or less simultaneously view the PVC gauge and the instrument panel cowling and doors.
    After a few trips to the VR menu I came up with a value of +38 for the Baron. It's in scale now for my personal IPD. These numbers won't work for you unless your eyeball distance is exactly the same as mine.

-- Rich

Edited once, last by RjG (September 17, 2018 at 9:53 PM).