Traffic and other moving objects

• I'm only going to say this once more since I've said it many times before already. Enjoy Aerofly for what it is now. Because if you do then once we release updates your experience it will only get better from here. You just need to be patient while we work, and make no mistake we are all working hard every day.

We all feel here that many just don't know what goes into programming, even a very small feature that most users take for granted takes a long time. The add into this the optimization aspects of that feature, testing, and integration. Also since what we are doing also is built from the ground up it takes even longer.

This is why we don't like comparing us with other flight simulators out there that had many years head start and have triple the development team.

And yes, i'm working on road traffic separately but it will be some time before you see this feature. There are many obstacles involved with this feature.

Thanks for this response Jeff, and thanks to everyone else who has contirbuted to the discussion.

I hope it's pretty clear from the way my questions and comparisons are worded that I was asking about the processing load of running the program. I am not questioning or criticising the development efforts on any of the real world simulators, including AFS2.

As I mentioned several times, AFS2 is still my go to sim of choice and I'm fairly sure it will remain so regardless of future developments, if performance remains at a high level ;)

• Enjoy Aerofly for what it is now.

Which is what I've been doing for some time now! Instead of moaning about what's lacking (which has been a hobby of mine for a too long time ;) ) I enjoy AFS2 for what it is. But... this also means I sometimes fly in another sim of mine! And that's not bad or anything: no one, not even IPACS, is forcing you to ONLY use one sim. I use AFS2 whenever I want to fly low and slow and I use my other sim whenever I want to fly high and dry (and whenever I like to use some options that AFS2 is currently lacking). Again, nothing bad with that.

As I mentioned several times, AFS2 is still my go to sim of choice and I'm fairly sure it will remain so

That's great and fine but don't feel guilty whenever you fire up another sim. ;) I've been flying in AFS2 only for weeks and weeks, specially since the release of TrueEarth Netherlands, but a while ago I really longed for ATC and weather and deep systems and so I fired up my other sim again. I haven't touched AFS2 for a week or two now so you might say that currently the other sim is my go to sim, but hey, AFS2 didn't delete itself! It's still sitting there on my SSD, waiting until I have a desire for ultra smooth flying over extremely dense scenery once more! ;) Sometimes I switch between the sims every day, sometimes every week, sometimes every month... I am certain AFS2 will be my go to sim again one day. I just pick the sim I feel like using at any given moment. No need to chose, no need to decide which one is the go to sim. Enjoy what you've got!

In short: I am done looking for the perfect sim and only using that one, simply because there isn't a perfect sim. ;) AFS2 is perfect is some aspect and my other sim is perfect in other aspects. They happily live along together on the same PC and I am perfectly fine with that. Moaning about lacking features, like I used to do, only makes you depressed and doesn't help anyone. On the contrary... ;)

• I'll be honest with you here; I'm a full member of the IPACS development team and I still even fire up Xplane 11 from time to time. So that should tell you something here, I love working with Torsten, Marc, and rest of the gang to assist in making the best Aerofly possible, but I also respect and often like to fly other developers successes. So it's fine, and even suggested by us to own as many flight simulators as you want. This does nothing except keep our hobby alive.

In my own spare time of course :)

IPACS Development Team Member

I'm just a cook, I don't own the restaurant.
    On behalf of Torsten, Marc, and the rest of the IPACS team, we would all like to thank you for your continued support.

Regards,

Jeff

• There are so many great add ons for x-plane and the mfs based sims, would be a shame to miss out on those. I think it shouldn't be "I only use this simulator", each simulator has its strengths and weaknesses and the more simulators you own the better you fill in the gaps and eventually if you can say I can land a Cessna in each of the simulators in each wind condition I think you are better prepared for the real world than if you had been using only one. We're all in here for the hobby (as Jeff said) and to become better pilots.

• One place, of many, that x-plane really shines is all those realistic looking static aircraft. I would love to see some of them parked at our AFS2 airports,

Another is the user generated flying models. Maybe we are just getting a slow start at adding user designed flying models here and will have some one day.

Regards,

Ray

• In a matter of some weeks, new addons aircraft have been released for P3Dv4: B747-8, DC-9, Shorts 360, A321-A318, B787, MD-82 Sp1, and several GA aircraft. Difficult to be a good pilot when you have such a variety of airplanes and different depth and complexity levels.

And yes, I guess it’s better to have several simulators.

Cheers, Ed

• Only AFS2 is still installed on my computer. I never liked XPlane and FSX always crashed. I fumbled more than I flew. ATC traffic and mega airports made flying impossible (frame rate). That all gone with AFS2 (and new hardware). :):thumbup:

I am really glad that IPACS is developing a new flight simulator and I support you (by purchase). I am convinced that Aerofly will be a very good flight simulator, maybe the best.

I am a software developer myself and know how long it took to program functionality. In my opinion IPACS has done a very good job so far with a very small team.

I go with Aerofly and I can wait for ATC, weather and other things for one or more years because I think there will be no alternative. ;) But every body should feel free to fly what he likes. 8)

• Hi Rivajes,

I've been using FS2 with the Oculus Rift for several months. The sim does indeed perform very well and looks good but that doesn't make it the best by any means.

If you took traffic, weather, 3d water and ATC out of FSX and P3D I'm sure they would look very good and run very smoothly. Yes FS2 runs very well, but it's not doing very much, is it? Thats really why I'm asking the question.

I'm keen to know if IPACS intends to make this product a complete simulator, or keep it as a 'light' simulation product. One particular area which works against all the plus points of FS2 right now is the empty airports with no other aviation activity except static aircraft, hence my original question about traffic.

If you try to remove traffic and so on from New York in P3D or Xplane you don't get as many frames as in FS2. I have tried it. But we need what you say: traffic, trains, boats, water... life.

• I think it shouldn't be "I only use this simulator", each simulator has its strengths and weaknesses and the more simulators you own the better you fill in the gaps and eventually if you can say I can land a Cessna in each of the......

It makes sense, however, although I use both AFS2 and XP11 for now, I’m afraid many flight sim players wouldn’t think in this way. After all, not everyone have a computer with 1TB+ storage to accommodate all three platforms. Furthermore, quite a lot of efforts(and money) are needed to turn the basic sim program into the one we actually use. You’ll need to buy addon scenery and aircrafts and many other stuffs and install them, which are not only expensive and tiring but also hugely storage consuming(have a look at the non-AFS2 version of orbx TrueEarth product, they’re really hard disk monsters). Perhaps this is not the case for Aerofly since addons for this sim are few. But for XP or P3D/FSX, you know it.

There are in fact a great number of flight sim lovers in my country (China). And it’s definitely a big market. But I found most of the players in China would stick to one platform and add lots of addons to optimize it instead of taking advantage s from different sims. There’re even “P3D party” against “X-Plane party”:D. But sadly there’s no “Aerofly party”. In fact, most Aerofly players in my country are amateurs flying blindly on their smartphones and arguing with the others which of Aerofly and infinite flight is the best mobile flight simulator...:rolleyes:

I tried to introduce those more advanced players Aerofly PC version in one of our domestic forums with a demo flight from Innsbruck to Amsterdam. It’s grateful that many people show their affirmation to this sim and it’s potential. But most of them state that unless the sim do better in functionality, they wouldn’t turn to it.

Indeed, we enjoy what this sim has brought us so far, but I sincerely hope more depth can be added so that Aerofly can be more popular and...... Besides, I hope the developers don’t be blinded by such excuse that “people can get what they want form different sims” but become more ambitious. If you don’t speed up and be more powerful, one day your advantages will no longer be there.

• most of them state that unless the sim do better in functionality, they wouldn’t turn to it.

Indeed, we enjoy what this sim has brought us so far, but I sincerely hope more depth can be added so that Aerofly can be more popular and...... Besides, I hope the developers don’t be blinded by such excuse that “people can get what they want form different sims” but become more ambitious. If you don’t speed up and be more powerful, one day your advantages will no longer be there.

:thumbup:

• I love AFS2, and expecially since the addition of the R22. For me traffic would be top of my list of things I would like to see, one day I'm sure we will get lots of what we want, I guess we will just have to be patient.

I never thought to put real ATC on in the background, brilliant idea.8)

Keep up the good work chaps.:thumbup: