It’s here: 2080 Ti VS 1080 on Pimax 5K+!

• I'm a little confused that you are running at 50 fps since I thought we were told that there isn't any support for ASW (Rift) or "Spacewarp" ability to handle half rates yet. You should see stutter when you move your head rapidly if "ASW" or equivalent isn't available since the performance is lower than 90fps .

I would like you to please try some lesser scenery - like maybe Orbx Monterey - and a simpler aircraft like the Jungmeister and try to get 90fps for some smooth aerobatics. I really want to be encouraged to get the Pimax 5K+ . Also, what SuperSampling value are you using and how much "clearer" is the far away image than a Rift/Vive - how much SDE do you experience?

Dave W

• I'm a little confused that you are running at 50 fps since I thought we were told that there isn't any support for ASW (Rift) or "Spacewarp" ability to handle half rates yet. You should see stutter when you move your head rapidly if "ASW" or equivalent isn't available since the performance is lower than 90fps .

I would like you to please try some lesser scenery - like maybe Orbx Monterey - and a simpler aircraft like the Jungmeister and try to get 90fps for some smooth aerobatics. I really want to be encouraged to get the Pimax 5K+ . Also, what SuperSampling value are you using and how much "clearer" is the far away image than a Rift/Vive - how much SDE do you experience?

Dave W

I think Pimax already has a partially working "brainwarp" to smooth things out now.

No worry. Pimax can handle 90 fps for most sceneries of Aerofly FS 2 at medium settings.

• frui,

Thanks for all the feedback! We all wish we had your system.

What settings for PiTool have you decided on for AFS2 and is the image clarity - particularly for the outside world - noticeably better than Rift/Vive ?

Dave W

I am using PiTool 1.5, SteamVR SS 40% (2923x2498)

Yes it's much better than original Rift/Vive in clarity. It's also better than Samsung Odyssey in clarity. For FOV it's no comparison.

• Question: What can happen to your Aerofly framerates on a 2080 ti when you turn shadows off?.........

Answer: This!

I think that's enough for VR........ ❤️

[Blocked Image: https://imageshack.com/a/img924/4008/KC22bS.png]

[Blocked Image: https://imageshack.com/a/img922/9633/VUqdsX.png]

[Blocked Image: https://imageshack.com/a/img921/7532/JluizK.png]

Devons rig

Intel Core i5-13600K - Core i5 13th Gen 14-Core (6P+8E) @ 5.5Ghz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 32GB RAM DDR5 6000 / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070Ti GAMING OC 12G / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 6x Samsung SSD/NVME's various sizes / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 ATX Motherboard DDR5

Edited once, last by HiFlyer (October 8, 2018 at 5:07 AM).

• frui,

Thanks for the feedback on out-the-window clarity - sounds like a winner!

A rough calculation for pixels per degree (horizontal) comparison:

Rift: 1080 pixels / 100 degrees = 10.8 PPD

PiMax 5K+: 2560 pixels / 170 degrees = 15.1 PPD

This would suggest an approximately 50% improvement in clarity by itself (horizontally) - maybe only 10 ->20% vertically but all the pixel RGB elements and their arrangement might be responsible for some more of the clarity and reduced SDE.

Question to Frui - if you really stare/focus on it - how do you rate the Screen Door Effect?

Also, the 8K looks like a flight sim loser for now (except for movies) but we can hope that the 8K X (+??) will act like you are trying to drive two 4K monitors (two Display Ports required ) which might just be possible with no extra SuperSampling and a 2080 Ti. Dreaming?? Then the Horizontal PPI would be 3960 / 170 = 23.3 and would finally be double that of a Rift (but still the RGB pixel element pattern is critical)

Dave W.

• My observation of SDE of different headsets: Pimax 8K > Pimax 5K > =(slightly better than) Samsung Odyssey = Oculus Go > Oculus CV1 > HTC Vive.

Pimax 5k has significantly enhanced the visual of Aerofly FS 2 compared with Samsung Odyssey which is already a step up from CV1/Vive. You don't have to lean forward to read the instruments now. 5K has only dual 2K panels, and dual 4K will be nirvana for flight simmers I am sure.

• Ken,

Yes, I got H and V backwards for the Rift CV1, But I have seen it calculated as 1200 / 110 FOV = 10.9 so I will keep looking for the best hard data - the improvement simply by this calculation is 39%, not 50% . But also, if you use "normal" FOV of 150 deg for the Pimax 5K+ that SweViver uses instead of 170, then the PPD = 17.1 which would then be 56% better than Rift. Also, the resolution at the "center" area of the display will be quite different than at the edges with lens distortion. Also, the spacing and quantity of red, green, and blue subpixels has a lot to do not only with Screen Door Effect but also "clarity" - each company's / model panel will be different. Lots of factors to consider.

Frui, any chance you could take a highly magnified, inside-the-lens (at the sweet spot ) photo of both an instrument panel digit on maybe the A320 PFD Speed readout, and then a similar photo of a static aircraft at an airport that is maybe 50 feet away - for your old Rift and then the 5K+ ? I realize I am asking a lot. We are simply trying to actually measure the difference in resolution. Maybe, SweViver will help out.

Dave W.

EDIT: Just for reference, the number of Pixels Per Degree required for 20/20 vision apparently is at least 60 PPD.

Edited 4 times, last by whitav8 (October 10, 2018 at 12:00 AM).

• frui,

A lot of us VR guys would like to know about "banding" for night flying. The Rift has very noticeable areas that deliniate between a color at the horizon and the next color as it moves to darker regions above - especially just after sunset. Could you please report about what you see during night flying - with and without a lot of cultivation lighting.

Thanks

Dave W.

• Pimax8k and 5k+ presale for non backers opened today.

Flying A330 as a day-job and enjoy VR-flying with PIMAX 5k+. NextLevelRacing v.3 Motion platform, Watercooled and overclocked i9-9900k, 32Gb 3600RAM, Samsung 970EVO Pro 2Tb m.2, nVidia RTX-2080Ti FE, Thrustmaster HOTAS, VKB pedals, Cockpitforyou motorised throttle quadrant, Precision Flight Controls Jetliner column

• Eine Frage an HiFlyer??

Läuft ORBX Niederlande under VULKAN gut,mit der RTX 2080 TI ??

(Google übersetzer ..A question runs ORBX Netherlands under VULKAN well with the RTX 2080 TI??)

Danke Enrico

• A question to HiFlyer ??

Does ORBX Netherlands run well under VULKAN, with the RTX 2080 TI ??

(Google übersetzer ..A question runs ORBX Netherlands under VULKAN well with the RTX 2080 TI??)

Thanks Enrico

Yes :) Vulkan is now faster than OpenGL in 2D

OpenGL is faster in VR.

Devons rig

Intel Core i5-13600K - Core i5 13th Gen 14-Core (6P+8E) @ 5.5Ghz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 32GB RAM DDR5 6000 / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070Ti GAMING OC 12G / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 6x Samsung SSD/NVME's various sizes / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 ATX Motherboard DDR5

Edited once, last by HiFlyer (October 27, 2018 at 2:42 PM).

• Yes :) Vulkan is now faster than OpenGL in 2D

OpenGL is faster in VR.

vielen Dank HiFlyer für die Auskunft.:thumbup::thumbup::)

möchte mir auch nächstes jahr die Zotac RTX 2080 ti amp oder Asus RTX 2080 ti Rog Strix oc holen.:):)

schönen Sonntag noch .

Enrico

Deutsch-Englisch--thank you very much HiFlyer for the information. I would also like to get the Zotac RTX 2080 ti amp or Asus RTX 2080 ti Rog Strix oc next year :):)

Enrico:)

Edited 2 times, last by NE-76 (October 28, 2018 at 2:22 PM).

• Trying to follow your info here.. when you say steamvr SS 40% is this the video override page or is this the application slider (which is normally 100% on the app part). The video override checkbox (i think) is normally not checked.

In my case i have the 1080ti and i'm trying to get all this working correct. Aerofly and xp11.

Maximus Hero Z370 | SL Delid 8700k 5.1 1.39| 32GB Gskill 16x2 @1.40 at 3200 | TT 3.0 Riing | Thermaltake v51 | Evga 1080FTW Hybrid Water(43c p3d) | Rift | Leap | CH Yoke/Pedals | P3D v4.1 Aerofly FS2 XP11 |
    Flight-Stew | Tech-Stew