Is there a simple method of determining the location of a grid 9 by map reference?

• For instance, if I know the IPACS map grid reference is 4080-9800, how can I locate the grid on a google or bing map? Is there a reverse of this to where if I know where the grid 9 box is located on the map, how can I find the IPACS map grid reference number?

Regards,

Ray

Well, it couldn't be any easier to find the IPACS map reference number when using Nickhod's new AeroScenery automated scenery building program. Display the map, select grid 9 - large, click on any square and read the associated map ref number directly on the screen. Works the same for the smaller grid squares - grid level 13. Kudos to Nick.

So the open question remains - how to find the physical location on the map using an IPACS map reference number.

Regards,

Ray

• In the map toolbar over to the right there's a button to open a Google or Bing map of the selected grid square.

As far as getting coordinates from IPACS grid square names ... some pretty ugly maths and code:

https://github.com/nickhod/aerosc…FS2/AFS2Grid.cs

Nick,

Yep, no clue at what is at that link for the ugly math. Thanks anyway.

If I renamed the primary folder for a grid 9 to something meaningful to me, would it screwup that entry in the database?

Regards,

Ray

• If I renamed the primary folder for a grid 9 to something meaningful to me, would it screwup that entry in the database?

AeroScenery wouldn't find any files you already have downloaded for stitching, GeoConverting etc

My thinking was that people would always use the map as a way to get to a folder.

I know that you can't use the map while actions are running, but I'm not getting what else you need to do while things are downloading or stitching.

Saying that, a workaround would be to add additional empty folders with the same grid square name then something meaningful, e.g.

map_09_7f00_ac00

map_09_7f00_ac00_This place

map_09_7d80_ab80

map_09_7d80_ab80_That place

If you then sort by name you'll easily be able to see which area is which.

AeroScenery - Easily create photoreal scenery for Aerofly

• I failed to make myself clear. The files waiting for geoconverting are those that I used AeroScenery to download and stitch but not to geoconvert at that time.

Good Idea on the duplicate folder name. I have just been using the old no. 2 graphite pencil and a notepad to keep track of the ones waiting for geoconverting.

Regards,

Ray

• I see. Well, the pencil always works!

I have been working on a tiny app that wraps the GeoConvert executable and kills it when it detects green on the screen (i.e. the green success text). AeroScenery could call this instead of calling GeoConvert directly.

That would mean that GeoConvert can be run sequentially and improve all this.

AeroScenery - Easily create photoreal scenery for Aerofly