Controllers not detected in VR

• Hi chaps

I seem to have an odd situation here, in 2D all my controllers are working ok, but when I switch to VR, none of the input devices appear to be recognised. Here is the control options page in 2D and in VR. Everything works as expected in 2D, and the last time I flew in VR, everything was fine, but I've just loaded a flight in VR and I can't control the plane. No input registers in the game and all the controllers are undetected when in VR. Any ideas anyone?

• I get this as well and is caused by using Aerofly in windowed mode and Aerofly not being the active window. When I click on the Aerofly window to make it the active window, my controls start working again. Hope this can solve your issue. Bit of a pain sometimes as I often fly using Navigraph Charts and SkyVector within the Oculus desktop in VR and have to remember to activate the Aerofly window again before closing the desktop.

• Ah, you could be onto something there, I did click on task manager to have that on my left screen while FS2 was launching.

I was puzzled as after a few restarts and letting Windows update, it started working again and I was still none the wiser.

i5-12600K/MSI RTX 3080/Win11/64Gb RAM/Asus Xonar DX+ Beyer DT990 pro headphones/LG 34" UM65 @2560x1080/Quest Pro/TM Warthog+VKB MkIV Rudder pedals

• I have this exact issue when I start UJR before starting FS2. My solution is starting UJR only after FS2 has loaded.

Incase you don't use UJR, do you have any other software running in the background which monitors peripheral input? FS2 seems to need some sort of exclusive access to USB peripherals, otherwise it doesn't detect any of them.

Pilot Journey

VR Oculus-Rift, Intel i7-7700, Nvidia GeForce 1070, 16GB RAM

• So, my Aerofly FS2 controllers are dead in VR - what to do?

Since the latest Oculus software got pushed through, I now need to have Oculus open in order to see anything in my Rift (this also goes for X-plane and DCS). So opening Oculus first and then starting AFS2, I get a female voice (this is new) saying something like: "game detected - gaming profile activated". Then, after starting AFS2 and before picking up the Rift headset, I can see the duplicated side-by-side picture of AFS2 on the screen. Looking at the controls on the screen they all respond as expected, but as soon as I put on the headset (or just cover the HMD-sensor with a finger) I immediately lose all controls and while the picture on the screen (and in the HMD) continues I have zero control of the sim. Not only does it not respond to the cockpit controls, but I also lose all ability to use the keyboard to exit to the main menu, and in fact the ONLY way to shut down AFS2 is with the Task Manager. I have updated to the latest nVidia drivers and run Windows 10 64-bit version on a i7-6700k w 32Gb ram and a nVidia RTX2080Ti FE. If anuone has any tips on how to restore functionality of AFS2, it would be hugely appreciated. Thanks - Eivind

Flying A330 as a day-job and enjoy VR-flying with PIMAX 5k+. NextLevelRacing v.3 Motion platform, Watercooled and overclocked i9-9900k, 32Gb 3600RAM, Samsung 970EVO Pro 2Tb m.2, nVidia RTX-2080Ti FE, Thrustmaster HOTAS, VKB pedals, Cockpitforyou motorised throttle quadrant, Precision Flight Controls Jetliner column

• So, my Aerofly FS2 controllers are dead in VR - what to do?

Since the latest Oculus software got pushed through, I now need to have Oculus open in order to see anything in my Rift (this also goes for X-plane and DCS). So opening Oculus first and then starting AFS2, I get a female voice (this is new) saying something like: "game detected - gaming profile activated". Then, after starting AFS2 and before picking up the Rift headset, I can see the duplicated side-by-side picture of AFS2 on the screen. Looking at the controls on the screen they all respond as expected, but as soon as I put on the headset (or just cover the HMD-sensor with a finger) I immediately lose all controls and while the picture on the screen (and in the HMD) continues I have zero control of the sim. Not only does it not respond to the cockpit controls, but I also lose all ability to use the keyboard to exit to the main menu, and in fact the ONLY way to shut down AFS2 is with the Task Manager. I have updated to the latest nVidia drivers and run Windows 10 64-bit version on a i7-6700k w 32Gb ram and a nVidia RTX2080Ti FE. If anuone has any tips on how to restore functionality of AFS2, it would be hugely appreciated. Thanks - Eivind

Sounds like Aerofly is no longer the foreground window when you put on the rift. If aerofly is not the active window it does not respond to the joystick input or any keyboard inputs. Try putting on the rift and then pressing alt+tab to switch back to aerofly.

• Thanks Jan, for getting back to me. I have tried that to no avail. There must be something else, taking away the resources (controllers) in the background. It is most probably something to do with Oculus, but as I had a flurry of activity installing new graphics card and drivers, along with an upgraded power supply, im a bit lost at the moment=O

Flying A330 as a day-job and enjoy VR-flying with PIMAX 5k+. NextLevelRacing v.3 Motion platform, Watercooled and overclocked i9-9900k, 32Gb 3600RAM, Samsung 970EVO Pro 2Tb m.2, nVidia RTX-2080Ti FE, Thrustmaster HOTAS, VKB pedals, Cockpitforyou motorised throttle quadrant, Precision Flight Controls Jetliner column

• Hi again Jan and thanks for helping out.

I normally start Aerofly from within the user interface of NextLevel Motion Platform. I have Steam version of AFS2, and as the Sim starts, it gives me a dialog box with 3 options, No VR, Oculus VR or Steam VR. I used to start it selecting Oculus VR as that seemed to give better frame rates, but since the recent problems started i have tried Stea VR as well to no avail. I now have to have Oculus home running in order to get a signal through to the HMD, and before I put on the headset, i can tell by looking at the side-by-side stereoscopic picture on the monitor that joystick and rudder are active and I can control the aircraft. As soon as I put on the HMD I lose that control and can only observe as the aircraft continues on its way to a certain crash ;) I have tried all combinations of ALT-TAb etc. but there is no program visible that I can see "stealing" the USB control input away from AFS2. I should mention also that I have a program called SimShaker - Wings that control the Gametrix JetSeat and this starts up automatically when AFS2 starts. It does however run fine along with everything else before I put on the headset, and I don't think its the culprit. Looks like it is Oculus home that's causing the grief but as I seem to be the only one with the issue, I'm at a loss to explain why. I might try a full re-install of AFS2, but as I have all available Extra Scenery installed, i might hold off a little before conducting a full frontal lobotomy;-)

• Re-installed AFS2, but same problem. Might have to give AFS2 a rest until the Pimax 8K shows up, when no doubt other configuration issues needs resolving. Just to re-iterate - NOT having a go at the AFS2 devs! This is an oculus interference issue and I'm getting insane frame rates in AFS2 from the RTX2080Ti when using the G-sync enabled Acer X34 monitor, but it's just that once I've become used to VR, it's impossible to enjoy sim-ing (of any kind) on a monitor again;-)

• OK - got it all sorted - pheew! Turned out to be a USB-hub that for reasons unknown refused to co-operate with the updated version of Oculus, and ONLY when going into AFS2 in VR. Weird issue, but back in business. Now, where is that R22;-)?