• I saw these mentioned in another thread and they caught my interest:

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/vrfre…em/x/19584692#/

Flying with a hardware yoke and throttle quadrant and having to put down and pick up the touch controllers all the time is pretty frustrating.

Unlike similar crowd funded projects, these stood out because:

• The price is sensible
    • They don't require strapping a touch controller to your hand
    • They're due to ship next month (Nov 18)
    • They (apparently) work via controller emulation for all StreamVR games if the game doesn't support them directly

IPACS supporting them directly would be amazing, but probably unlikely.

I think that running Aerofly in StreamVR mode would at least make them usable and useful. I contacted VRFree to get an answer to this, but they didn't answer specifically enough to be sure.

XP does support them directly.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Think I might pre-order a pair and report back here when I get them.

AeroScenery - Easily create photoreal scenery for Aerofly

• This looks interesting for sure.

The problem I see is that using the gloves with an USB yoke you'll likely give unwanted commands to the virtual yoke as well. Maybe just removing the virtual yoke will do, although I like having it so far. Not having to pick up and lay down the touch controller after every start and landing is probably well worth disabling it though.

Pilot Journey

VR Oculus-Rift, Intel i7-7700, Nvidia GeForce 1070, 16GB RAM

• This looks interesting for sure.

The problem I see is that using the gloves with an USB yoke you'll likely give unwanted commands to the virtual yoke as well. Maybe just removing the virtual yoke will do, although I like having it so far. Not having to pick up and lay down the touch controller after every start and landing is probably well worth disabling it though.

Yeah I did think about that. Disabling the virtual yoke seems like an option, but not ideal

I'm also wondering whether it would be possible to edit the aircraft config so that the yoke responds to aircraft movement (via yoke hardware), but doesn't respond to "vr hands" input.

AeroScenery - Easily create photoreal scenery for Aerofly

• Definitely needs to work with a physical yoke/joystick that is more immersive than a virtual one because they provide resistance that reminds you to trim the aircraft. They also provide a place for you to rest your hand (versus constantly holding your hand in the air).

• Definitely needs to work with a physical yoke/joystick that is more immersive than a virtual one because they provide resistance that reminds you to trim the aircraft. They also provide a place for you to rest your hand (versus constantly holding your hand in the air).

For about 18 months I've been watching "progress" in haptic gloves for these very reasons and they have had a dismal kickstarter track record. VR Free and Plexus VR look to be on a more solid footing. Getting the input to the sim is only the start though. We're going to need some innovative approaches to merging the physical and virtual unless each yoke comes with a replaceable handle that exactly mirrors that of the aircraft being flown - combined with an alignment process so your hands shown in the right place.

Probably easiest is a stripped down generic VR yoke handle with no buttons at all, so that any button pressing is virtual and only the pitch/roll is applied physically. There also needs to be a size scaling fiddle so that the hands land on the virtual yoke in the right place even though the virtual yoke may be bigger/smaller than the physical one.

• Yeah I did think about that. Disabling the virtual yoke seems like an option, but not ideal

I'm also wondering whether it would be possible to edit the aircraft config so that the yoke responds to aircraft movement (via yoke hardware), but doesn't respond to "vr hands" input.

Couldn't we just ask for a toggle added in the FS2 options to disable touch input to the yoke? It would seem more like the proper way to do it and at least in my imagination quite an easy fix.

Pilot Journey

• Couldn't we just ask for a toggle added in the FS2 options to disable touch input to the yoke? It would seem more like the proper way to do it and at least in my imagination quite an easy fix.

We are not doing any more work by way of the successful VR Hands implementation at this point in time. Perhaps down the road if the gloves ever become mainstream we may take another look at it. But for now we will continue to work on the many features that are missing in Aerofly before looking at this again.

I apologize if that's not the answer that you are seeking but it's the truth, and we always want to be as open as we can be with our answers.

IPACS Development Team Member

I'm just a cook, I don't own the restaurant.
    On behalf of Torsten, Marc, and the rest of the IPACS team, we would all like to thank you for your continued support.

Regards,

Jeff

• No worries, thanks a lot for taking your time to openly comment on this.

It's completely understandable that this is a very niche problem and that there are other things to add that will have a much bigger impact.

I'm not up to date on all the development rumours but if something like ATC really arrives eventually I would happily deactivate my virtual yoke for that :)

Pilot Journey

• i really think the AFS2 team have done a pretty good job with the touch controllers for VR hands, I can now control the whole flight sim without using my joystick or mouse, disabling the autopilot and using the virtual yoke in AFS2 on the approach (like the real thing) is a really amazing experience and it is amazing to finally use the yoke in the plane to control the aircraft just as it is done in real life, this is the first time i can do this with nearly 20 years of flying flightsims (since the FS98 days).

Yes we really need other features to be implemented 1, ATC and then weather AI etc.