• Hi Jan

Thanks for that, you've made an old man happy, At least I had the time to get my inlet temperature gauge working so I wasn't idle. And, I realised I have forgot to model the standby compass, it's normally folded backwards when on the ground so I missed it. Something else to add to the smaller "to do' list

I had tried the very same as you instructed, with one slight difference. As I was using the example of a binary input I only used one input_active as they were both using the same FireTest in the controls.tmd file.

Steve

• Hi Jan

Thanks for that, you've made an old man happy, At least I had the time to get my inlet temperature gauge working so I wasn't idle. And, I realised I have forgot to model the standby compass, it's normally folded backwards when on the ground so I missed it. Something else to add to the smaller "to do' list

I had tried the very same as you instructed, with one slight difference. As I was using the example of a binary input I only used one input_active as they were both using the same FireTest in the controls.tmd file.

Steve

You can use one input_active and only one message name but then both buttons will move at the same time as well.

• Hi all

Finally getting around to flight testing in my new paint job, 69100 ft and she stalled out.

Some nav instruments to sort out and get the sound to work but she's getting there. Still no HUD but all switches and radios complete, interior lighting finally working, specular maps next on the textures list.

I think Autopilot is beyond my TMD skill levels so it will have to wait. Would also like to fully complete the electrics in time but things like this would only hold up release dates so maybe a patch in the future.

Steve

• Hi Jan

TMD help required again, was that a groan I heard =O

In the sounds section there is mapping for volume and pitch. I understand the need for mapping but what do the figures refer to.

<[tmvector2d][Map][ (0.0 0.0) (0.8 0.0) (0.81 0.1) (1.0 0.8) ]>

Is it EnginePercentage (in my case) and wav file volume/pitch or

wav file volume/pitch and EnginePercentage or

Something else completely

Steve

• if you look one or two lines above the "map" you will see the name of that object, search for that name and you will find where it is used.

I think this is the volume mapping for the afterburner.

• Hi Jan

I get what the mapping is doing its just the numbers inside the brackets,

<[soundmapping][EngineVolumeIntern2][]

<[string8][Input][EnginePercentage.Output]>

<[tmvector2d][Map][ (0.0 0.0) (0.8 0.0) (0.81 0.1) (1.0 0.8) ]>

>

Is it (volume and percentage) or (Percentage and volume), in the case of (1.0 0.8) is it 100% volume at 80% engine speed or 100% engine speed at 80% volume. Reason I ask is some numbers go to (1.0 2.0) as in the canopy reduced figures

Steve

• Ah, I see.

Well that is the biggest question regarding sound that I have, too :D
    I know that bigger values make it louder but they are not a fraction of maximum volume from my experience. You can still get louder sounds going from 1.0 to 2.0 or 2.0 to 5.0... Its just a linear scaling factor for the volume.

Regarding the mapping itself: It's always (Input -> Output), so (percentage volume), (1.0 0.8) maps 100% rotation speed to 0.8 "volume".

All values are sorted increasing by the first value e.g. (0.0 ....) (0.8 ...) (0.81 ...) (1.0 ...)

The second value of each pair is the output value for that for the respective input, they can go up and down as you need them to.

• Hi Jan

As always thanks for the information, just what I needed.

I have the external sounds, with the famous starfighter howl, pretty much done. A sightly softer volume when sat in the cockpit with the canopy open but with it closed its deathly quiet ( 9 sound files in total). Now I have the info it will help get that done and fine tune the others. Would it be easier on the sim to have 3 sets of 3 sound files ie exterior, interior canopy open and canopy closed and not have sound reduction mapping or is it better to just have one set of files and 6 sound reduction mapping entries. Hope this makes sense.

I also note the use of <[bool][External][false]> and <[bool][Internal][false]>. Any reason not to use <[bool][Internal][true]>, I know that would be the same as <[bool][External][false]>, is it a sim thing to always use [false]

Steve

• Hi Steve,

it makes virtually no difference if you do one or the other. That performance impact negligible. Not even worth the time writing more LOL
    In general there is nothing in in the tmd file that can produce any noticeable performance hit. The code is quite optimized and the CPUs are extremely fast. Even if it causes additional 1000 lines of code to be executed, you wont see any difference.

If you don't specify Internal or External then they are false. Writing External false or Internal false is the same as deleting the line all together. But sometimes you want to emphasize to another developer that the sound is not to be played externally. If you set them to true the sound file will be played internally if the camera attribute "InCockpit" is true and externally otherwise.

Having internal true and external false would be used for all switches, radar callouts, etc. that are usually not heard outside the aircraft.

External true and internal false would be used for something that already has a different sound file (e.g. afterburner inside vs. outside) or for the APU in the 747 (does not have windows to open and listen to)

• Hi Jan

I have noticed none of the aircraft have sounds for gear travel, flaps and speedbrakes, can I assume this is not possible.

Steve

Didn't someone add Cessna gear and flap movement sounds to some of the planes last year? It may have been in the 3rd party sound package. Anyway, I sure do miss those sounds. I remember making the comment that I did not know Cessna even knew how to make a quiet flap motor. I have owned a lot of Cessnas over the years and they all seem to have the same sound whether is was a C150 or C210.

Regards,

Ray

• Hi Jan

I have noticed none of the aircraft have sounds for gear travel, flaps and speedbrakes, can I assume this is not possible.

Steve

The default A320 has gear sounds and speedbrake sounds, the A380 (which you don't have yet, sorry) has flap sounds as well. All of these are possible.

• Plan to include multiple TMD files so you can pick your load out, will have to be manually done but as painless as possible, would be nice if IPACS could add this facility to the sim.

I've written that idea down, might be interesting for our default aircraft as well.