• HI Jan

Have tracked down the error, I was using Autopilot.Arm for the autopilot on switch, should have been using Autopilot.Master.

Just need to work out how to make the heading arrow move to the correct place on the rotating compass rose and we have a working autopilot, except for speed, guess that's what a throttle is for ;)

How do we get a switch to respond to a mouse click, at the moment they all respond to rotating the mouse wheel. As a result its easy to go from ON to OFF back to ON without realising it......edit....cancel this, I missed the word toggle in the switch type

Steve

Part 2 to this.

The Autopilot master switch now operates with a mouse wheel or left mouse button however..

Using mouse button, the switch moves, the output changes but autopilot not active

Using mouse wheel, the switch moves, the output changes and autopilot now active

??????????????????? I hate TMD files X(

Steve

• The autopilot responds to the message qualifier that you send it. In the controls.tmd your autopilot switches should be set as "button" with an "OnPush" message with the qualifier "toggle".

If your switch still moves without the autopilot being on then check that the switch uses the Autopilot.OutputActive output. If you use an input_switch it won't check if the ap disengages on its own or engages at all.

In the b737 I also use a "switch" for the ap master, maybe that helps? It's a different autopilot code though, I hope the basic one also works. Or you could switch to the advanced autopilot which would also give you auto throttle.

• Morning Jan

Changes to the switch has cured the problem and I have the heading bug working so it's a functioning autopilot so far. Will investigate moving to the advanced to get the speed hold. It is a strange system as you need to turn everything thing off to regain control and then turn things on as you need them. Seems like just the sort of thing they would have had in the 60's so it's stopping like that.

I do get oscillations in pitch at 629kts plus at 10000ft, disconnect the AP and it goes. Is this a limit or something I can alter. I kinda like it in to be honest as yet again it shows the primitive nature of autopilots in those days.

VOR pointer next on the list...yipee

Steve

• Morning Jan

Changes to the switch has cured the problem and I have the heading bug working so it's a functioning autopilot so far. Will investigate moving to the advanced to get the speed hold. It is a strange system as you need to turn everything thing off to regain control and then turn things on as you need them. Seems like just the sort of thing they would have had in the 60's so it's stopping like that.

I do get oscillations in pitch at 629kts plus at 10000ft, disconnect the AP and it goes. Is this a limit or something I can alter. I kinda like it in to be honest as yet again it shows the primitive nature of autopilots in those days.

VOR pointer next on the list...yipee

Steve

The gain in the autopilot was never set for these kind of speeds :)

What you can do is scale the autopilot commands down when the autopilot is active. I checked it but there doesn't seem to be a public gain factor that you can change.

so something like:

servoclassic ElevatorGain

input: Autopilot.OutputActive

Speed 1.0

P0: 1.0

P1: -0.5 (<- this decreases autopilot authority)
    Position 1.0

product ElevatorScaled

inputs: ElevatorGain.Output Autopilot.OutputElevator

servoclassic ServoElevator

Input: ElevatorScaled.Output

• Hi Jan

Think I will leave the oscillations in to give it some living on the edge feel, as was usual with aircraft in the 60's were nothing was perfect. F104 was probably more edgy than most so lets not make it too easy.

How do we increase the angle of bank for the standard autopilot or is this a fixed value within the sim, at 20 degrees it's quite pedestrian for a fighter. I have pretty much all I need from the autopilot which was basic in those days so moving to the advanced would not gain very much, apart from a massive headache for me.

Nav gauges now all work fine so something else of the list

Throttle reduction on fuel empty and enhance the electrics and I'm there I think until IPACS add more features. Volumetric lighting would be nice for landing lights ;)

Steve

• I thought you might say that, more headaches :(

I have uploaded some new TMD files to Flight-sim.org to fix the bug with the beta program, simply copy the TMD files into the F104G folder and overwrite the existing ones, remember to copy one of these new TMD's that you wish to use to the F104G root as that one will not have been updated

Steve

Hi Jan

Edited once, last by larrylynx (February 9, 2019 at 10:52 AM).

• Hi Jan

I have 2 outputs ZeroFuel and AboveZeroFuel (20KGS)

I can use AboveZeroFuel as a InputEnable on input_lever Throttle1Input and this does lock the throttle when fuel is below 20kgs but it stays at what ever the throttle is when this is triggered. So not much help

I assume I need to drive EngineN1 down to position 0.1 or ThrottleLever to a set value but can't work out how this is done.

Steve

• Hi Jan

I have 2 outputs ZeroFuel and AboveZeroFuel (20KGS)

I can use AboveZeroFuel as a InputEnable on input_lever Throttle1Input and this does lock the throttle when fuel is below 20kgs but it stays at what ever the throttle is when this is triggered. So not much help

I assume I need to drive EngineN1 down to position 0.1 or ThrottleLever to a set value but can't work out how this is done.

Steve

Just multiply ThrottleLever.Output with your AboveZeroFuel.Output (using the "product" element) and send that to the engine

Code
                <[product][ThrottleCommand][]
                    <[string8][Inputs][ ThrottleLever.Output AboveZeroFuel.Output ]>
                >
                    <[string8][ThrottleControl][ThrottleCommand.Output]>
  • First off, thanks a ton for creating and giving us this awesome plane. It certainly makes for a unique flying experience!

Try the following: Highspeed level flight, hard aileron - after 2 rolls it will start to spin and keep going even if you relax controls. Can only be stopped with opposite rudder.

I dont know if that behaviour is realistic, but it sure is interesting.

• First off, thanks a ton for creating and giving us this awesome plane. It certainly makes for a unique flying experience!

Try the following: Highspeed level flight, hard aileron - after 2 rolls it will start to spin and keep going even if you relax controls. Can only be stopped with opposite rudder.

I dont know if that behaviour is realistic, but it sure is interesting.

Currently the actuators have infinite force and the wings don't brake off. If you added full aileron at that speed it would probably rip right off :D

• Hi Jan

Last question on Starfighter, for now

I am making the Starfighter load cold and dark, smoke and mirrors really. Would be better if engine stopped and engine sound off but it's the best I can do

I can make the gauges return to zero on the battery off with the following

<[needle][NeedleTotalAirTemperature][]

<[string8][Input][TemperatureSensor.TotalTemperature]>

<[string8][InputEnable][EngineInstrumentsOn.Output]>

<[float64][Speed][5.0]>

<[float64][Damping][0.95]>

>

I would like to do the same for hyd and oxygen but they use an input value which is a number

<[output][HydraulicPressureSystem1][]

<[string8][Input][20684270]>

>

If I add HydraulicPressureSystem1.Output to the needle input the sim gives me a wonderful stop cube. I tried EngineOutput.HydraulicPressureSystem1, same result. Also same with oxygen

Is it possible ?

Steve

• HI Guys

Have uploaded version 1.1, some fixes, autopilot, cold and dark (ish), new specular maps etc oh yeah, zero thrust on zero fuel.

My first engine off ended in a heap just short of the runway..come to think of it, so did the others. There is a quick way to simulate this if you can't wait for the fuel to reduce. TMD editing I'm afraid. Copy the "Just a Starfighter" TMD to the main f104g root, open this in notepad++ (it's free so you don't have an excuse), do a search for InternalFuelTank, change fill level to 0.1, save the file (not save as) restart FS2 and off you go, for a short time anyway

Although I have done my best to check things there may be errors, 14 TMD files can get a little complicated to check so just report things and I'll fix em

Have included short txt file here and in the main zip so please read, it will help.

Thanks to Matt for the specular maps and of course Jedi Master Jetpack, he's a programmer so got to be on the Dark Side

Steve