Issues with route naviagtion

• When I takeoff on my climbout, around 10,000ft, I usually switch on route. However, when I tap on speed, it does nothing - the throttle still stays at full, and exceeds the speed selected. I have to manually select altitude, and then speed in order to get auto throttle working. Is this intended, and if so, will it automatically adjust altitude when I am approaching the descent?

Thanks

• Which aircraft are you flying?

The speed button only selects autothrottle speed mode when you fly in vertical speed or altitude hold but not if you climb in VNAV (route) or flight level change or OP CLB or CLB, It just goes to full throttle which is not a bug, that is actually desired.

The airspeed during the climb is not controlled with the throttle, rather the autopilot pitches up and down to change the speed. If you fly manually and still want to use autothrottle (which real world procedures tell you not to do) then you could end up in an overspeed situation, like you do.

So in your case: before you press speed, just press "VS" to force the autopilot to go into vertical speed mode. After that you can engage autothrottle in speed mode. Now the autopilot is targeting the selected vertical speed and autothrottle targets the selected airspeed.