Pimax 5k plus - is this the next step for VR flightsim?

• I agree about waiting for the 8kx as a proper next step especially with the cost of the tracking system. I am however very happy with Samsung Odyssey as an interim. Much better graphics than my Rift and no need for any lighthouses or sensors as the inside out tracking works great for flightsim.

• Hmmm now you have me wondering if the Vive Pro is worth a look while waiting for the next step..... Thats quite pricey too (799 GBP on Amazon!)..... hmmmm

Go with the Samsung Odyssey or Odyssey+ if you're looking for a cheaper but same visual upgrade as Vive Pro. Also I found my Odyssey to be a significant improvement from the original Vive so I feel the Pimax 5k+ will be as well. I love the idea of the 8k X as well but its production and computer specs needed to push those pixels out are way to far away for me to wait. Even with my Odyssey+ and pc specs I find that some areas of AF2 lower my FPS a bit. I agree hopefully by then we should see more competitive headset options real soon.

• Go with the Samsung Odyssey or Odyssey+ if you're looking for a cheaper but same visual upgrade as Vive Pro. Also I found my Odyssey to be a significant improvement from the original Vive so I feel the Pimax 5k+ will be as well. I love the idea of the 8k X as well but its production and computer specs needed to push those pixels out are way to far away for me to wait. Even with my Odyssey+ and pc specs I find that some areas of AF2 lower my FPS a bit. I agree hopefully by then we should see more competitive headset options real soon.

Does the Odyssey work with all the same games as the Vive and Rift so far as you know?

• Yes for the most part it does. For the Rift games you need to download a program called Revive. The only problem is because it uses inside out tracking, you will find games like Skyrim, Castle Defender (the lab) etc to not be as accurate at times in tracking the controller. Which honestly can make games be annoying when playing tactical games in VR. I really would only recommend the Odyssey for sims. Can't wait to get back into those adventure games with the Pimax and tracking system.

• Pimax 5K+ is a significant improvement on Occulus Rift and Samsung Odyssey, especially for sims. All the instrument panels are readable with no need to lean forward, plus the big FOV.

It is especially suited for sims. The only problem is most sims have to struggle to different extent for FPS. But there is one exception. That is Aerofly FS 2! Oh my God that is built for the next generation headset!

I'm not convinced Pimax will give a significant improvement on my Occulus Rift until they release the 8k X.

From what I've read the 5k still has a signfiicant 'screen door' effect because the extra pixels are now spread over a larger area. The 8k has the same bandwidth as the 5k, and reduces the screen door effect by blurring the image. With those limitations neither of these products seem to justify the hefty price tag for the limited improvement they will give.

The 8k X will supposedly have full 8k bandwidth, so I think that is the one that will be worth upgrading to for me, although I fear it may mean a completely new PC as well :)

I suspect in the time it will take for the 8k X to appear one of the other manufacturers will have sorted themselves out with a high resolution headset at a better price than Pimax.... fingers crossed :D

• Lots of food for thought here :) Another factor for me is that as i wear glasses, I need a headset for which I can get prescription lenses, which at this moment seems to limit me to Odyssey +, Vive or Rift :(

Same here. I wear my glasses (for distance) in my Ody. ...however I have finally decided to take the plunge and get contact lenses just for wearing inside VR (and playing tennis) . I'm actually wondering whether I should get 2 prescriptions. One for standard distance and another for focussing at 2 metres or whatever the focus distance is.

WMR link: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/…reality/comfort

• I just got my Pimax 5k+, set it up (pretty straightforward), and tried out AFS2...and ran into an issue that the views of the left and right eyes are completly cross-angled (like you are looking at somthing intentionally crosseyed).

Anyone else tried it out an got it to work?

• I just got my Pimax 5k+, set it up (pretty straightforward), and tried out AFS2...and ran into an issue that the views of the left and right eyes are completly cross-angled (like you are looking at somthing intentionally crosseyed).

Anyone else tried it out an got it to work?

Probably have to mess with PiTool settings

Devons rig

Intel Core i5-13600K - Core i5 13th Gen 14-Core (6P+8E) @ 5.5Ghz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 32GB RAM DDR5 6000 / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070Ti GAMING OC 12G / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 6x Samsung SSD/NVME's various sizes / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 ATX Motherboard DDR5

• I played with the Pimax 5k Plus at CES and I have to say, I was blown away by the clarity of field of view.

What I wasn't so impressed with was the comfort factor. Maybe it was a badly setup demo unit well used eye cushioning, but it did feel heavy.

Let us know, AKt , how it feels after extended periods of use.

AeroScenery - Easily create photoreal scenery for Aerofly

• Just received shipping notification for my 5K+ (“downgraded” from the 8K) At least I missed Chinese New Years (unlike last year - that’s right, been waiting for this for over 18 months now - they better be decent;-))

Flying A330 as a day-job and enjoy VR-flying with PIMAX 5k+. NextLevelRacing v.3 Motion platform, Watercooled and overclocked i9-9900k, 32Gb 3600RAM, Samsung 970EVO Pro 2Tb m.2, nVidia RTX-2080Ti FE, Thrustmaster HOTAS, VKB pedals, Cockpitforyou motorised throttle quadrant, Precision Flight Controls Jetliner column

• I played with the Pimax 5k Plus at CES and I have to say, I was blown away by the clarity of field of view.

What I wasn't so impressed with was the comfort factor. Maybe it was a badly setup demo unit well used eye cushioning, but it did feel heavy.

Let us know, AKt , how it feels after extended periods of use.

No worry. DAS will greatly improve the comfort.

• I have pimax 5k+ and I like them very much. We need pitool color saturation option and foveated rendering to improve. It would be great if FS2 aerofly could allow to run the flight simulator without parallel projections. The performance would be much better.

I also need more sceneries with better textures, water, traffic...

• It would be great if FS2 aerofly could allow to run the flight simulator without parallel projections. The performance would be much better.

I'm curious about this "parallel projections" stuff. I thought I was well up on VR tech but I don't know this.

• I'm curious about this "parallel projections" stuff. I thought I was well up on VR tech but I don't know this.

My hazy understanding is that steam Vr currently assumes two screens side by side within the headset, which is the standard configuration, and has no idea how to handle wide fov headsets with angled screens and overlapping fields of view. Until that is addressed, pitool has to provide the missing data to Steam Vr as to how to properly display a correct stereo image.....

Devons rig

Intel Core i5-13600K - Core i5 13th Gen 14-Core (6P+8E) @ 5.5Ghz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 32GB RAM DDR5 6000 / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070Ti GAMING OC 12G / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 6x Samsung SSD/NVME's various sizes / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 ATX Motherboard DDR5

• I have pimax 5k+ and I like them very much. We need pitool color saturation option and foveated rendering to improve. It would be great if FS2 aerofly could allow to run the flight simulator without parallel projections. The performance would be much better.

I also need more sceneries with better textures, water, traffic...

I can get over 70 fps in the most demanding scenery with everything maxed out except shadow, so it's very smooth. It will be also fine with weaker CPU and graphic card as the "Brainwarp" smart smoothing is coming very soon.

• I can get over 70 fps in the most demanding scenery with everything maxed out except shadow, so it's very smooth. It will be also fine with weaker CPU and graphic card as the "Brainwarp" smart smoothing is coming very soon.

I can get 90fps but I could use more SS in steam or in game without parallel projections on. The VR games without that enable runs faster and it is less gpu consuming. In other words, you can have more fps or more SS. For example Asseto corsa doesn't use parallel projections in Pimax 5k+.

Anyway, in February, fixed foveated rendering is coming to Pimax. This will bring more performance which is great. My brother had Oculus and the difference is quite big: fov and screen door much better in Pimax 5k+