Pimax 5k plus - is this the next step for VR flightsim?

• frui With the idea of sitting still and not have to do much moving around while flying, could you test to see if the Pimax can run Aerofly without the tracking base stations? Perhaps just left and right head movements. I believe I will be getting my headset before the knuckles and base station 2 bundles come out. Knowing if I can temporarily avoid controller and base station purchase would help. I suppose anyone with a regular HTC VIVE could test this, but the Pimax might be different??

Yes, you can use dcs, fs2 without any controllers and base stations. That is my case. The only issue is than you can get closer or bend sideways. You can look up, down, left and right.

• Just flew Aerofly with Pimax 5k+ and I have to say that i'm completely disappointed. I played with all settings, turned everything on high, yet I feel the Pimax has nothing on the Samsung Odyssey series. The extra FOV was nice but the distortion was not worth it. I feel spoiled with the Odyssey's OLED panel vs Pimax LCD. Colors are just bland and night flying was greyish to the point it was hard to see (I adjusted all three brightness settings).

The Odyssey+ anti screen door effect truly cleans the experience up that I forgot what Pixels in VR looked like. After thinking about it, I should have known better given the specs of the Odyssey series. So If I was to recommend anything for VR, I would say hold off on Pimax or similar VR til it gets higher resolution, anti screen door, and uses OLED panel. For now, Samsung Odyssey or Odyssey+ offers a better visual experience for a cheaper price.

This is how I feel based off of only flying in AF2. I haven't tested any other games yet, but I have a feeling my experience will be the same.

• Let's see how the trade off between OLED and strip turns out in practice.

"The fidelity seen through Reverb’s lenses is further enhanced by the fact that the LCD display uses full RGB-stripe sub-pixels (which generally have a better fill-factor than OLED displays) which means less screen door effect than an OLED display of equal resolution"

• It shouldn't be that bad. You need to check with your Pitool and SteamVR settings. Flight simmers of DCS and X-plane are very positive towards Pimax 5K+ compared with other headsets.

I can read FS2 instrument more clearly on Pimax 5K+ than Odyssey OG, but I think HP Reverb will be even better than Pimax 5K+.

• It shouldn't be that bad. You need to check with your Pitool and SteamVR settings. Flight simmers of DCS and X-plane are very positive towards Pimax 5K+ compared with other headsets.

I can read FS2 instrument more clearly on Pimax 5K+ than Odyssey OG, but I think HP Reverb will be even better than Pimax 5K+.

With my 5K+ still sitting in it's box after arriving last week, this is encouraging news! DCS, X-Plane 11 and AFS2 are the only things I do in VR. Now I'm just debating purchasing a RTX 2080ti.

Redtail

KFRG, KTEB, KEWR, KLGA

~Straighten up and fly right~

DESKTOP: i7-7700k @5GHz (water cooled), Nvidia GTX 1080Ti FTW3, 32GB DDR4, 500GB SSD, Oculus Rift CV1, Windows 10 Home 64 bit,

TM HOTAS Warthog (large spring removed), Saitek PRO Flight Combat Rudder Pedals, YOKO yoke!

Laptop (gaming): Acer Predator Helios 500- Intel Core i7-8750H @4.1GHz, Nvidia GTX 1070, 32GB DDR4, 256GB SSD/1TB HDD.

Gametrix JetSeat FSE (Flight Sim Edition)-USB Vibrating pad. Nextlevel V3 Motion Platform / Sim cockpit.