Reassigning Touch buttons

• Hello,

I am experimenting with using a full VR Touch setup, without joystick. It is pretty fascinating to be able to interact with the complete cockpit with such liberty.

However, there is something a little bit wrong with that, I can't assign touch buttons. OK I don't need many commands considering I use virtual hands, but at least VR center, pause and menu are mandatory. Otherwise you need do remove your VR headset and look for your keyboard just to press pause...

Any idea how to solve that?

Thanks.

• We had to design the motion controllers to work universally. Since the Vive controllers don't have the same button layout we had to hard code them so that we only have to do it once for all controllers.

We will likely not change this more than it already is currently.

IPACS Development Team Member

I'm just a cook, I don't own the restaurant.
    On behalf of Torsten, Marc, and the rest of the IPACS team, we would all like to thank you for your continued support.

Regards,

Jeff

• We had to design the motion controllers to work universally. Since the Vive controllers don't have the same button layout we had to hard code them so that we only have to do it once for all controllers.

We will likely not change this more than it already is currently.

Where the row of connected devices is shown in the Controller Setup screen, it could show "Oculus Touch Controllers" or "Vive Controllers" as a device, each with their specific buttons available to remap.

You know what headset is connected in code so there's no technical reason why that's not possible.

If it's not Oculus or Vive then, sure, it would have to be default buttons with no remapping.

I get that it's an IPACS decision not to offer the feature, but those nice A, B, X, Y buttons on the Oculus are perfect for remapping.

AeroScenery - Easily create photoreal scenery for Aerofly

• I happen to agree with you but it was a decision not to do that and I was overruled. We ended up wanting to code only once instead of one for each model controller.

IPACS Development Team Member

I'm just a cook, I don't own the restaurant.
    On behalf of Torsten, Marc, and the rest of the IPACS team, we would all like to thank you for your continued support.

Regards,

Jeff

• I happen to agree with you but it was a decision not to do that and I was overruled. We ended up wanting to code only once instead of one for each model controller.

Pardon my ignorance but why do VR controllers need specific coded controls for every device while this isn't needed for regular controllers...? I mean, there is no need to code for every available Logitech, Saitek, Thrustmaster, etc. controller out there so why is this different for VR controllers (at least when it comes to the buttons). Just curious. ;)

• Standard joysticks and controllers are dealt with via DirectInput or XInput whereas VR controllers have to be dealt with via the Oculus or Steam SDK. They're not standard HID hardware.

Although something like a Saitek yoke will give input in a standard Windows HID way, Aerofly will have device specific code for the default button mapping.

AeroScenery - Easily create photoreal scenery for Aerofly