SAMSUNG ODYSSEY + PLUS Overview

• https://www.roadtovr.com/holiday-deal-b…adset-just-300/

Samsung Odyssey+ is the company’s latest VR headset, and while it launched just a few weeks ago for $500, the Korean tech giant is throwing it on sale this Black Friday at a 40% discount.

The deal is set to start online at Samsung.com on November 18th, slashing the headset to just $300, controllers included.

As a hardware refresh of last year’s Windows VR headset Odyssey HMD, there’s a few notable changes in the latest version.

The biggest change to the Odyssey+ is undoubtedly its new “anti-SDE” display treatment that’s said to visibly reduce screen door effect (SDE) on its dual 3.5″ AMOLED 1,440 × 1,600 panels. SDE is a result of magnifying both the display’s pixels and the unlit spaces between those pixels, which at times can feel like looking through a fine screen door-style mesh.

There’s also been a number of minor ergonomic changes to the headset though that should render it more comfortable to a wider set of users. Because the first Odyssey headset wasn’t incredible in the ergonomics department, the Odyssey+ now features a larger nose cavity and wider face interface, and a new foam material that the company says should improve comfort and reduce lens fogging. The weight of the headset has also been slightly reduced, from 820 grams to 798 grams, cable included. Check out our analysis of the differences between the new and old here.

An important distinction: Samsung Odyssey+ boasts the same resolution as HTC Vive Pro, but at a remarkably lower price—HTC Vive Pro costs $800 for just the headset, no base stations or controllers included. Windows VR optical tracking isn’t nearly as robust as Valve’s SteamVR tracking system, although it’s certainly good enough to play Beat Saber (2018), making it a strong PC VR contender against Oculus Rift this holiday season.

Devons rig

Intel Core i5-13600K - Core i5 13th Gen 14-Core (6P+8E) @ 5.5Ghz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 32GB RAM DDR5 6000 / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070Ti GAMING OC 12G / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 6x Samsung SSD/NVME's various sizes / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 ATX Motherboard DDR5

• I wonder if we'll be able to get this deal in OZ?

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Devons rig

Intel Core i5-13600K - Core i5 13th Gen 14-Core (6P+8E) @ 5.5Ghz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 32GB RAM DDR5 6000 / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070Ti GAMING OC 12G / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 6x Samsung SSD/NVME's various sizes / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 ATX Motherboard DDR5

• I assume this headset is good for FS2 or you wouldn't be posting this? :)

Do you have experience with it?

I've seen one person reporting attempting to use it with FS2 but no further info was given. Reports seem to show that with the right settings, it actually gives a much better image than the Vive Pro, which costs $800 (this has the same resolution)

Seems like it might be a steal for simulation fans who don't like SDE: https://www.reddit.com/r/WindowsMR/co…ific_to_flight/

Devons rig

• drhotwing1 (IPACS) November 14, 2018 at 4:06 PM

Changed the title of the thread from “STOP! Don't Buy the SAMSUNG ODYSSEY + PLUS!! ... Yet” to “SAMSUNG ODYSSEY + PLUS Overview”.
  • kenventions,

If you know or can find out, it would be helpful to have a simple list for setup of the WMR environment (for the Odyssey+) for all us Oculus Rift folks. I assume that we need either build 1803 or 1809 Windows 10 to start out with. I assume that we load the WMR portal for WIndows , etc...

Thanks

Dave W.

P.S. Does anyone actually know when (example 12:01am November 18th EST) we can purchase the Odyssey+ at the "Black Friday" price

• I have the regular Samsung Odyssey. The pixel density is higher than the Vive/Rift(wouldn't go back) which makes the screen door effect much smaller and allows for a better picture. The Samsung Odyssey+ has now eliminated screen door effect which I have heard people say this headset will be great for flight sim and racing. If you can grab one for $300 US, it's the ultimate deal and steal making this the best VR headset for flight sim at the moment compared to Pimax. I heard that because the Odyssey+ eliminates screen door effect, you lose just a touch of clarity. I find that to be a fair compromise. I will be purchasing one Nov. 18th because this deal is to good to pass up.

• There are some reviews on reddit - anti-SDE screens sound like an improvement but also comments about light-leak and comfort issues ...

https://www.reddit.com/r/WindowsMR/co…odyssey_review/

Here's a picture of the screen up-close - click on the image to zoom in then click on a focused part of the photo (the "75%") to zoom in on the pixels ...

https://www.reddit.com/r/WindowsMR/co…is_the_antisde/

• Hovering over the button. Concerns:

* light leak. Guess i could deal with that

* ASW - guess it will improve, probably no worse than pimax

* steamvr interface. Not sure how WMR runs. Steamvr ?

* i'd lose the nice Oculus home windows overlay that allows me to see notes

* when could i get my hands on pimax - 3 months or 12?

• From what I hear, light leak issue is rare case for odd shaped head people. You still have access to SteamVR interface. Once pimax delivers, you can easily sell odyssey and make your money back no problem if you picked one up for $300. I managed to get one for $300 and once I get my 5K+ I will be selling Odyssey+ for at least $350. It's a win win. Not sure about Oculus part.

• Yeah, I grabbed one...... Curiosity killed the cat.........

Devons rig

• Please give us your honest reviews as soon as you have time to try out the various aspects using AFS2. I think many of us are interested in the image clarity outside the cockpit and perhaps a slight reduction in the requirement to lean in. Perhaps there are some settings that work better for this and sharing ideas will help.

• Just tried the SO+ with FS2 and the difference is subtle. Instruments readability is unchanged.

Fit seems stiffer - the original has a spring mechanism that attaches the display to the hat section and it flexes when the display fits to your face. The SO+ eliminated the spring flex - the display is directly attached to the hat section so it's more difficult to find a comfortable fit while keeping the lenses in the proper location for a clear view.

My 2 cents so far.

• I grabbed one on the Black Friday sale as well - couldn't pass it up;-) So should get it next week and will play with it while waiting for the Pimax 5K+. As someone else pointed out - should be no probs getting the $300 back once the Pimax get here - particularly here in Oz.

Flying A330 as a day-job and enjoy VR-flying with PIMAX 5k+. NextLevelRacing v.3 Motion platform, Watercooled and overclocked i9-9900k, 32Gb 3600RAM, Samsung 970EVO Pro 2Tb m.2, nVidia RTX-2080Ti FE, Thrustmaster HOTAS, VKB pedals, Cockpitforyou motorised throttle quadrant, Precision Flight Controls Jetliner column

• Just tried the SO+ with FS2 and the difference is subtle. Instruments readability is unchanged.

Fit seems stiffer - the original has a spring mechanism that attaches the display to the hat section and it flexes when the display fits to your face. The SO+ eliminated the spring flex - the display is directly attached to the hat section so it's more difficult to find a comfortable fit while keeping the lenses in the proper location for a clear view.

My 2 cents so far.

Those in the know , have been suggesting that the SS setting should be at least 140% in Steam settings for the best picture .

Devons rig

My 2 cents so far.

That readability is Plus verses Original I presume? Do you have experience of other headsets to compare with?

Thanks