SAMSUNG ODYSSEY + PLUS Overview

• highflyer, I won’t get to use my own odyssey plus for a week so I really hope you discover all the best settings. Your comments are very important to many of us. In general what would you say about the clarity compared to a rift. Another words what do you think of the reduced SDE? How about tracking? Can you fly fine with your joystick? Have you tried to setup reprojection?

Well. I'm still learning, but I would say that despite some headset comfort quirks and the fact that the controllers suck mightily, the overall experience is very nice, and the favorable impression only seems to be growing as time goes by. More than once, I have smiled and thought "Now this is more what I expected VR to be!"

Its an evolution rather than a revolution, but it's a nice one. As some have reported, there is indeed an added softness to the image, imparted by the anti SDE filter, but its something I'm more than willing to put up with, and I actually spent at least an hour in Elite Dangerous flying round and round various stations just gawping at the increased realism imparted my an almost total lack of SDE. You have to see it to grasp the subtle but substantial difference.

Movies are now totally watchable, as well.

My Rift is probably going to be stored, given away or sold.

Too bad about the awful controllers, and Aerofly is pretty uncontrollable with them, because the default assignment is to the sensor pad, and it's so sensitive that a butterfly's sneeze will throw you clear across the sky.

Aerofly NEEDS sensitivity controls......

https://forums.mudspike.com/t/our-samsung-…-tricks/7191/21

Devons rig

Intel Core i5-13600K - Core i5 13th Gen 14-Core (6P+8E) @ 5.5Ghz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 32GB RAM DDR5 6000 / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070Ti GAMING OC 12G / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 6x Samsung SSD/NVME's various sizes / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 ATX Motherboard DDR5

• ZOOM turns off.

The best thing to do is to simply lean into what you need to read. Real-world pilots don't have a zoom feature and there are many things that you can't read in a real aircraft :) We try hard to make things as realistic as possible so the 'auto zoom' will not work for us. A manual zoom is a possibility down the road but please don't expect anything soon as there are many other priorities that would come before this. Maybe remind us of this a year from now?

Something to add to the post: "SAMSUNG ODYSSEY + PLUS Overview"

I followed with some attention, the development of this post. In it, the results of Sansung latest VR headset are studied and exposed, both hergonomic and visual. I am especially interested in the vision in this VR device.

From the quick reading of the speakers in the forum, I discover that his vision is still not good, yet (despite the improvement in relation to the previous model, even other manufacturers) leaves much to be desired. The most demanding (who are the ones who know the most) are still not satisfied, and those who have bought it to study it and present their conclusions, in general, say the same: "it does not satisfy them at all" and ... "the vision is worse than on the flat monitor. "

I really want to buy these headsets, but I do not want to happen to me what someone else has said: "they have them in the attic full of dust", which means they are not satisfied. I guess the main reason, is a defective vision.

I am observing that there are 4 or 5 manufacturers of VR headsets, but they have not yet perfected this device enough, so that the really demanding ones (I suppose that we are the lovers of the flight of the sims.) We are satisfied and we inclined for the purchase massive If the vision were at least as clear as on the monitor, we would massively buy.

AND ... HOW DOES IT SEE IN THE FLAT MONITOR, OUR FS 2 ?.
    What I am going to write, surely some may surprise, others will surely agree with me.

I have the monitor 21 '; exactly at a distance of 80 cm. from my eyes (in the sitting position and piloting the planes); Except for the functions:

IAS / MUCH; HDG; VERT / SPD; ALT. that their numbers look big enough, and consequently, well; all the other knobs, at the aforementioned distance, I only see blurry letters and I am unable to read anything. Just approaching up to 50 cm (or less) of the monitor, I can read with real difficulty its meaning. Not only because of the small size of the letters, but especially because of the very low sharpness (resolution) of the body of the letters.

This condition is given to me in large aircraft, especially: B.737; B.747; A.320; very accused in the Learjet (all very small); King Air C90.

This should be corrected. Of course now is not the time, well, given the demands we are making, I guess they never will be, anyway, for me this low visibility, is really annoying, therefore, I expose here, but I already explained in the forum at other times.

Jeff, in one of his last interventions in this post, said (of course, he was referring to the VR vision, I mean the flat monitor): "The best thing is to simply read what you need to read. world pilots do not have a zoom feature and there are many things that you can not read in. We try hard to make things as realistic as possible so the 'auto zoom' will not work for us".

I understand perfectly that you do things as realistic and proportional as possible, but perhaps more important than the "rigorous proportions", it would be more practical (and above all, useful), that the instruments of the panel, can be read comfortably from the chair and without make efforts .

NOTA: Jetjockey10 -->{ Ray }

This is my personal email: "delfinperezmarino@gmail.com"

Through my personal email, could you please connect with me?

Kind Regards: Delfin

• I really want to buy these headsets, but I do not want to happen to me what someone else has said: "they have them in the attic full of dust", which means they are not satisfied. I guess the main reason, is a defective vision.

I use my Rift three or more times a week. I can't understand why anyone would get bored of them. I haven't played a game in 2D, not a single one, since I bought the Rift.

Yes, I'd like the resolution to be twice as good, but that means £2k of hardware upgrades plus a £1k headset. The PC hardware needs to come to affordable levels fist for Oculus and HTC to throw cash behind their next gen PC headsets.

As far as clarity of instruments, you just lean your head in a bit, like you would in real life if you had "not great" eyesight.

XP has the zoom in VR thing and it's awful; completely unnatural and sickness inducing.

I did an IFR flight in the Cessna last night, lots of instrument, Nav and GPS (moving map) use. Wasn't an issue; just lean in a bit when needed.

Just get yourself a Rift and don't overthink it! They're a bargain now at £/€/$350.

AeroScenery - Easily create photoreal scenery for Aerofly

• Yes, I'd like the resolution to be twice as good, but that means £2k of hardware upgrades plus a £1k headset. The PC hardware needs to come to affordable levels fist for Oculus and HTC to throw cash behind their next gen PC headsets.

Just get yourself a Rift and don't overthink it! They're a bargain now at £/€/$350.

Hi Nick

You're safe with € / $ 2k spent on hardware upgrades plus a £ 1k headset. Could we see twice better? . I, and currently and from what I see that is studied and exposed in this forum, by colleagues who already have Oculus, HTC, etc. I think we still have to wait to get the quality of vision you say. If we could see, as I wish (also, as you wish, and many others), I think I would be willing to spend those € ./$...../ 3,000.

Anyway, I understand your point of view perfectly; in effect Oculus for € 350. is a good price.

In summary I am in complete agreement on everything, except in the bad vision we have of the reading instruments in the instrument panel of the aircraft in FS 2, especially the large aircraft that I have already listed. I assure you that it is NOT simply "tilting your head a little"; is much more. With the aggravating circumstance that I have to partially close my eyes, until I focus on the text I want to read. This is especially annoying, at the time of landing.

Of the 4 simulators that I had on my PC, this FS 2 is the worst one seen. I do not mean the vision in VR, but in the monitor, and ... I have a good view. And ... it's not a negative criticism towards FS2; I have a great affection for this Sim. What happens to us the users of this Sim. (Although something very similar can happen with any other), is that when we begin to play, we discover certain flaws, but we move on. After a certain time, we are getting used to supporting those defects (which are improvable), and ... after more time, we have assumed it as normal. And in this Sim. It is normal, but it is not logical that permanent visual effort in front of the monitor. Everything that means getting information from the instruments of the plane, must be achieved without any visual effort, and in my case, this does not happen, I guess that most of the users are the same as me.

That said Nick, I thank you very sincerely your comments, explanations and reasoning very logical and human. I see with pleasure that you are one of the most dedicated users to help and advise everything you can (and you can do a lot). In addition to your great help with the valuable tool "AeroScenery". And ... that I can not use! In another moment I'll tell you why, now this post would be too long, in response to yours

Once again, thank you very much for your help:

Kind regards: Delfin

• You're safe with € / $ 2k spent on hardware upgrades plus a £ 1k headset. Could we see twice better? . I, and currently and from what I see that is studied and exposed in this forum, by colleagues who already have Oculus, HTC, etc. I think we still have to wait to get the quality of vision you say. If we could see

A GTX 2080Ti plus the the Pimax 5k headset (when it ships, apparently in 90 days) will certainly give you a substantial clarity boost over the Vive and Rift.

Check posts on here from frui who has early access hardware.

AeroScenery - Easily create photoreal scenery for Aerofly

• Some more (hopefully) useful information:

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Devons rig

Intel Core i5-13600K - Core i5 13th Gen 14-Core (6P+8E) @ 5.5Ghz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 32GB RAM DDR5 6000 / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070Ti GAMING OC 12G / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 6x Samsung SSD/NVME's various sizes / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 ATX Motherboard DDR5

• Here is a little app on Steam that works with WMR headsets like the Samsung Odyssey, HTC Vive, and the Pimax. Unfortunately not the Oculus!

Using this app you can monitor your VR performance in real time, see where there are slowdowns, and and adjust your settings accordingly to perfectly fit your hardware capabilities. I think it's very handy!

https://store.steampowered.com/app/908520/fpsVR/

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Alright, I've had some time to play around with the odyssey plus and have learned a few things.

First, It's a definite improvement, and while initially it may present itself as having a "softer" or "even "blurier" image, it turns out that this can me mitigated greatly by aggressive supersampling, yielding an image that does exactly what it advertises: removing the screen door effect while providing results noticeably superior to the Oculus (I don't have a Vive to compare)

Recently in my VR explorations, I came across a handy tool (FpsVR) that gave me some needed insight into the interrelationship of my SteamVR and other system settings, without which I might have prematurely given up on the odyssey plus as having too "soft" an image.

However, FpsVR allowed me to change Stream ss settings in realtime in a way that allowed me to custom optimize my experience not only by game but even by the current situation within the game.

For instance, a SS setting of 400% for a relatively open area might not be appropriate for the heavy scenery of the Netherlands for instance, which might require 200 Steam SS instead, to retain a good image with the required steady 90FPS.

Being able to change the settings in real time also allowed me to better understand the way the two Steam SS settings worked with each other:

I believe that for people with a Pimax, Vive, or any WmR based HMD, FpsVR will be invaluable in correctly balancing ones settings.

[Blocked Image: https://imageshack.com/a/img924/3010/PKcyLw.jpg]

[Blocked Image: https://imageshack.com/a/img921/3078/QB8LPQ.jpg]

In the meantime, I have found one issue with the Odyssey plus and Aerofly:

Due to the way the sim renders trees (which makes them appear semi-translucent, prominent moire effects at very high SS levels exacerbates the translucency in the Odyssey and makes the trees appear to shimmer/strobe distractingly as the ground beneath them appears and disappears behind the pixels as you move......

This is reduced at lower SS settings.

The only other thing that stands out is that the WMR touchpads are MUCH too sensitive and simply are unusable for controlling any Plane. You will have to assign the controls to the sticks, or use some other control method.

That's it for now, hopefully others can confirm my findings or dispute them!

Devons rig

• The Odyssey+ I bought during the BlackFriday sales has just shipped, so not long now before I’ll get to check it out!

Flying A330 as a day-job and enjoy VR-flying with PIMAX 5k+. NextLevelRacing v.3 Motion platform, Watercooled and overclocked i9-9900k, 32Gb 3600RAM, Samsung 970EVO Pro 2Tb m.2, nVidia RTX-2080Ti FE, Thrustmaster HOTAS, VKB pedals, Cockpitforyou motorised throttle quadrant, Precision Flight Controls Jetliner column

• Ok!

I will call this a Pro-tip.

The Odyssey+ has a Native resolution per eye of 1444 X 1600 pixels.

No SteamVR resolution setting quite matches that yet, since obviously SteamVR was essentially made for a VIVE.

The closest you can do is to set your GLOBAL resolution and APPLICATION resolution such that the total yields 140%, which will give you a very clear picture, at near native resolution, while perhaps taxing weaker systems a bit less than applying huge amounts of Supersampling.

By the way, while using the Steam supersampling, just leave Aeroflys in-game supersampling settings alone!

Keep in mind that Steam Global resolution and application resolution affect each other!!

https://imageshack.com/a/img922/5969/ZIJ4je.jpg

Second tip!! Make absolutely sure that you adjust the headset up and down a bit until you find the sweet spot, or you will get a blurry image!

Have fun!!

Devons rig

Edited 3 times, last by HiFlyer (December 1, 2018 at 3:54 PM).