R22 wishlist

• So, we finally have the wonderful new R22 available to us:love:. I've spent many hours over the weekend and come to appreciate the fidelity of the flight dynamics in "Profi" mode as well as the great quality of the rendering inside and out. So, I'm starting this thread as a tribute to the dev-team with a couple of suggestions for further improvement, rather than a criticism of what they have released to us - free of charge to the existing users!

1. Increased pitch trim authority. I can't trim out the cyclic forces with speeds in excess of 70 knots, but require a constant forward push in order to remain in level cruise flight. I have a modified Thrustmaster Warthog cyclic with the Rainman extension and Sahaj's blue spring, and this combo is wonderful - just enough resistance to return the cyclic to zero when released, without requiring any more than a light pressure to move.

2. Ability to remove the doors. Doesn't have to have fancy opening and closing animation, but simply a way to remove the doors for precision vertical referencing, when hovering OGE.

3. Cold and dark mode. Would be great to have the option to enter a cold and dark cockpit and bring this beast to life oneself!

4. Option to have a button-bush being "repetitive" when held in. Particularly for trimming, it would be nice to push and hold in order to let a trimming motion take place, rather than multiple single clicks.

That's it from me - for now;)

Flying A330 as a day-job and enjoy VR-flying with PIMAX 5k+. NextLevelRacing v.3 Motion platform, Watercooled and overclocked i9-9900k, 32Gb 3600RAM, Samsung 970EVO Pro 2Tb m.2, nVidia RTX-2080Ti FE, Thrustmaster HOTAS, VKB pedals, Cockpitforyou motorised throttle quadrant, Precision Flight Controls Jetliner column

• 4. Is already available?

Thanks Jan - I didn’t know - I’ll go poking in the settings to try to figure out how!

Edit - sorted it out by deleting the assignments to elevator and pitch trim, and then re-assigning the same switches to the same function). Great - thanks a bunch!!

Flying A330 as a day-job and enjoy VR-flying with PIMAX 5k+. NextLevelRacing v.3 Motion platform, Watercooled and overclocked i9-9900k, 32Gb 3600RAM, Samsung 970EVO Pro 2Tb m.2, nVidia RTX-2080Ti FE, Thrustmaster HOTAS, VKB pedals, Cockpitforyou motorised throttle quadrant, Precision Flight Controls Jetliner column

Edited once, last by Ozav8r (December 3, 2018 at 11:54 AM).

• Thanks Jan - I didn’t know - I’ll go poking in the settings to try to figure out how!

Edit - sorted it out by deleting the assignments to elevator and pitch trim, and then re-assigning the same switches to the same function). Great - thanks a bunch!!

Yes, after an update it is advisable to reset the controls to default.

A lot of users asked us how to assign helicopter controls, if you reset to default that also assigns the helicopter functions for you.

• I’ve been really impressed with the Profi flight modeling but there are two edge case conditions that seem to be missing which would be nice additions but by know means are they must haves.

- Mast bumping. A negative G push over (which is a big no no with a rotor system like the one in the r22) has no adverse effect other than an associated right roll. If it was modeled it might prevent some of the crazy maneuvers currently possible such as loops and rolls. Perhaps this requires the addition of a damage model?

- LTE. Even with wind at maximum and at high density altitude it’s not possible to lose tail rotor effectiveness. Full tail authority seems to be always present. Yaw rate is affected by wind but not yaw ability.

• If you fly low g as the label on the cyclic tells you not to do then you'll get the r22 to roll around it's longitudinal axis. This happens in the real aircraft too and the best action to escape death is to use positive collective input and cyclic aft input to load the rotor and stop that roll.

Yes as I said in my original post. I get the right roll. :thumbup:

• Anyone know if the r22's landing lights work? if yes how do you turn them on? If not please add to wishlist😊. Loving the r22 BTW awesome model by ipacs, have not fired up any of the other simms since you released it, thank you!

The worst day of flying still beats the best day of real work.

• Here's my list:

- functioning carb heat

- I've only flown at 2 airports, but there are no windsocks

- the flare is too weak

- the yaw when reintroducing throttle at the bottom of an auto is too much

- The acceleration is a bit off. It picks up at about 21.5 " which is fine, but then won't accelerate to 60 uless you add power.

• Are you experienced in flying real world R-22s Autojohn? My helicopter time is very limited and is from many years ago so I would eagerly welcome real world pilot input assistance to get the FS2 R-22 simulation as genuinely authentic as possible.

I actually called into a R-22 school a few years ago to get some fresh time in, thankfully there was no-one in💰

• Are you experienced in flying real world R-22s Autojohn? My helicopter time is very limited and is from many years ago so I would eagerly welcome real world pilot input assistance to get the FS2 R-22 simulation as genuinely authentic as possible.

I actually called into a R-22 school a few years ago to get some fresh time in, thankfully there was no-one in💰

Yes, I fly the R22 and R44 regularly at KSTS. I'm still a fairly new helicopter pilot but fresh in those types. The most important thing in my experience with the simulator is to have reasonable physical controls and you need to calibrate them correctly. Do you have some kind of reasonable collective, cyclic and pedals?

• Brilliant! Autojohn.

I have a twin throttle joystick and rudder pedals. I have left throttle setup as throttle and right as collective. Thirty plus years ago I had manual twist throttle flying an Enstrom F-28. The instructor didn't teach or the helicopter lacked governor. I have enabled the governor on/off switch on my joystick to enable manual throttle flying and better mountain flying in FS2.

I use FS2 trim a lot to keep the cyclic spring force as low as possible for light finger tip control.

Edited once, last by Overloaded (January 29, 2019 at 6:57 PM).

• -carb heat is a must for sure!

-what do you mean by the flare is too weak?

-I'm not sure that it's the yaw that is off or the throttle implementation. I have noticed that the manifold pressure bounces around sometimes with minor collective adjustments. So it could actually be something in the power application coding.

In the actual aircraft, the manifold pressure doesn't rapidly change unless there is a problem.

My biggest wish would be to improve the sounds. The engine sounds seems constant and dronish compared to the real aircraft. Also, adding dynamic blade slap would improve the immersion immensely. It's also a good indicator that your approach is slightly off.

I took a video of the gauge cluster during my last flight, solo flight, around 1150 lbs takeoff weight, winds 10-15 kts. Normal takeoffs/descents, steep & shallow approaches, quick stops, running landings, pedal turns and hover circles (both nose in & tail in) and pirouettes down a line at about 10 kts.

I will recreate the flight in AFS2 when I have some time and compare the performance.

Edited once, last by belatu42 (February 22, 2019 at 2:56 PM).