extra user folder and DLC

• I'm using the custom addons folder described by this method ("extra_user_folder"):

Moving Addon Folder to D-Drive?

My addons folder looks like D:\fs2_extra\

This folder contains various sub folders like \scenery\places, \scenery\images etc.

I'm finding some free DLC file sets do not work when placed in my addons folder, while others do work fine.

If I copy the same files to the location specified by the content creator eg.

C:/program files(x86)/steam/steamapps/common/Aerofly FS 2 Flight Simulator/addons/scenery/usa/places

Then they do work, they just don't work when copied to my extra user folder.

Naturally I've tried different sub folder locations, attempting to match other DLC that does work.

A typical DLC has a folder with some .toc and .tsc files and sub folder called building_textures full of .ttx files. That's about it.

Any ideas what might be going wrong?

Edited once, last by GregDude: Add more info (December 15, 2018 at 3:53 AM).

• What specific scenery files are you moving to this folder? You can't move any DLC sceneries that we (IPACS) or Orbx releases. The variable to add another location if only for user-created sceneries, not DLC's

IPACS Development Team Member

I'm just a cook, I don't own the restaurant.
    On behalf of Torsten, Marc, and the rest of the IPACS team, we would all like to thank you for your continued support.

Regards,

Jeff

• I'm manually adding community made scenery DLC only, not trying to move IPACS or Orbx products.

For example...

This newly released scenery 'Reno' found here:

https://flight-sim.org/filebase/index…o-area-autogen/

does not work when copied to:

D:\fs2_extra\scenery\places\KRNO Reno (or similar)

But does work if I copy it to

Documents\Aerofly FS 2\Scenery\Places\US folder\KRNO Reno

However, another scenery 'Whidbey' found here:

https://flight-sim.org/filebase/index…whidbey-island/

who's files look very similar, works great when copied to:

D:\fs2_extra\scenery\places\knuw_whidbey

(This particular scenery had some \imagery and some \places files which ended up in those relative locations.)

I can't see what's different about the files or folder structure.

Edited once, last by GregDude (December 15, 2018 at 4:40 AM).

• Can you please post the entire string that you created in your main.mcf, for example: <[string8][extra_user_folder][]> here so that I can take a look at it for you.

On behalf of Torsten, Marc, and the rest of the IPACS team, we would all like to thank you for your continued support.

Regards,

Jeff

• That was it!

My [extra_user_folder] was empty.

What's happened is that no new scenery I install works. Yet all my old scenery still works.

I would guess that an update some days or weeks ago reset my main.mcf file. I noticed my controls configuration had been reset, but didn't notice a problem with my scenery because it still worked. I would guess the game caches something about those files or folders which is why they still worked.

I simply re-added my custom folder to [extra_user_folder] and both new and old scenery works fine now.

I also shared the wrong link before. The instructions for configuring a custom addons folder should have been:

User Defined Custom Folder Location Setting Added to Aerofly FS2 (Main.MCF)

• Yes, sometimes we do update and the main.mcf file gets updated along with it. Best rule of thumb here would be to check it after each update.

Regards,

Jeff