Custom objects displaying strange

• Hi there,

I ported a terminal into AFFS 2 but it displays a bit strange. I used ModelConverterX and AC3D.

__UndNun.bmp

I used the 1s switch to have only one side like the video tutorial from the wiki.

Wish for Aerofly FS 2/4:

- Flightpath recording on hard drive and replay in sim from different view points

- Smoke for aerobatic planes

- Multiplayer or at least watching other people flying sitting on ground or inside tower

• Hi,

I guess some of your original model textures have an alpha layer.

There's a bug in AFS2 making object surfaces partially transparent when some textures have an alpha layer.

That's nasty, because many objects need alpha layers for transparency, and AFS2 makes the wrong surfaces transparent...

Hope this will get fixed soon.

In the meantime, if your object doesn't need the alpha layer, just remove it...

Cheers and good luck

Antoine

Config : i7 6900K - 20MB currently set at 3.20GHz, Cooling Noctua NH-U14S, Motherboard ASUS Rampage V Extreme U3.1, RAM HyperX Savage Black Edition 16GB DDR4 3000 MHz, Graphic Card Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 8GB, Power supply Corsair RM Series 850W, Windows 10 64 bit.

• Hm... shouldn't be the case... but possible. Thanks for the idea.

Wish for Aerofly FS 2/4:

- Flightpath recording on hard drive and replay in sim from different view points

- Multiplayer or at least watching other people flying sitting on ground or inside tower

• Hi Michael,

I don't know AC3D and don't use MCX for FS2, so I can just guess.

Are you exporting it at some point in one of the common formats like Collada, FBX, etc? There can be sometimes some wired outcome.

It's a bit hard to see it on the picture, but it could also be flipped normals.

If you want, send it to me by mail. I'll check how it looks in Max and what happens when exporting it from there.

Kai

• flipped normals was my first guess. I can do it in gmax. But I do not know if this can be fixed in ac3d.

i already converted the dds to bmp.

I run into this problem often when "Minimizing Drawcalls" through MCX (might not be your case). So my temporary work around is just redo and skip Drawcalls for problem models. Unfortunately you are left with alot of ttx. files if you go that route.

ah, this could be the case. :) i will try.

Wish for Aerofly FS 2/4:

• if you don't minimize drawcalls, just make sure your model doesn't use material, otherwise it will be skipped by AFS2 converter: all surfaces must be textured.

Minimize drawcalls replaces all material with a texture, hence a much recommended step for conversion towards AFS2.

Just check all your BMPs are 24bit bitmap, I.e. no alpha channel.

Cheers

Antoine

Config : i7 6900K - 20MB currently set at 3.20GHz, Cooling Noctua NH-U14S, Motherboard ASUS Rampage V Extreme U3.1, RAM HyperX Savage Black Edition 16GB DDR4 3000 MHz, Graphic Card Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 8GB, Power supply Corsair RM Series 850W, Windows 10 64 bit.

• This is "just" a conversion of an existing object from a FSX scenery. Would be nice if it's working. If not, i need to build it by myself. Thank you all for the hinds. I will try tomorrow, no time for today.

Wish for Aerofly FS 2/4:

• Jet-Pack (IPACS) December 17, 2018 at 8:09 AM

Changed the title of the thread from “Custim objects displaying strange” to “Custom objects displaying strange”.
  • Ok, just some feedback, There is definitely no alpha channel on the bitmaps. Now I have also not optimized the textures nor I have minimized draw calls with MCX. Same result. I really think it has something to do with flipped normals.

Before I send you, Kai, this stuff I will try to export it into gmax to have a look.

Jet-Pack (IPACS) : Thank you for correcting the header. :) I was typing on the cell phone.

Wish for Aerofly FS 2/4:

• Thank you for the feedback, MCX has tools to check surface normals and invert them where necessary.

Good luck

Cheers

Antoine

• Just check all your BMPs are 24bit bitmap, I.e. no alpha channel.

There is definitely no alpha channel on the bitmaps.

Please check whether it is a 32bit file. If yes, save it to 24bit. With irfanview press I for information, then just save it as 24 bit.

Yes, that was it, I guess it's not perfect but 24bit made it.

er.... you stated you had no alpha channel, but your issue was definitely that you had alpha channel in your textures (32bit bmp)...

Even an empty alpha channel IS an alpha channel for the AFS2 graphic engine bug...

Cheers

Antoine

• yes. In Corel paint shop x... It does not displayed any alpha channel. The option for the alpha channel was greyed out.

All the grafic programs do it a bit different. I discovered the empty Alpha with the imagetool from the p3d SDK.

Wish for Aerofly FS 2/4:

Edited once, last by flightxtreme (December 17, 2018 at 9:57 PM).