External view can crash game

• I'm finding the external view can crash the game.

Steps to reproduce:

1) Aircraft Select R22 helicopter

2) Location Select Downtown Manhattan Heliport

3) Press 5 key to cycle external view

You shouldn't need to take off or do anything else.

In only one or few cycles of the external view key, the game freezes.

If it does not occur, move the chopper a little and try again.

Perhaps it relates to being close to the ground and near buildings? This location crashes 100% for me. If I try in Switzerland or other places, it does not occur.

Crash appears as app freeze. Screen does not change but app is unresponsive. Requires Task Manager to terminate process.

System:

Windows 10 Pro

Intel i7-4790

16GB RAM

nVidia Geforce 1070

FS2 Steam version

Have some user made scenery near NewYork, autogen + night lighting.

EDIT: Removed all user scenery, still occurs 100%. Only have IPACS scenery and ORBX Netherlands + Saanen now.

EDIT: tm.log file attached.

Files

• tm.log

(64.02 kB, downloaded 24 times, last: )

Edited 2 times, last by GregDude: Add more info ().

• I also have a problem at downtown Manhattan heliport. When I go to external view and cycle the views to tower view, I get a black screen with only the shape of the aircraft and the buildings visible. Pressing the "T" key to change time of day brings everything back to normal.

All other places I tested are OK.

Win7 home premium, Nvidia GTX 1060 with latest drivers

• I can't seem to replicate this on my end. I've gone through each camera one by one with no crash or ill effect. Is this by any chance from a user mod or messing with the file?

Anyway, as Jan mentioned, we need to see a TM log from right after the crash.

IPACS Development Team Member

I'm just a cook, I don't own the restaurant.
    On behalf of Torsten, Marc, and the rest of the IPACS team, we would all like to thank you for your continued support.

Regards,

Jeff

• I've had Streetlight Autogen in the area, but then removed it and I too get this glitch( not a big deal). I've noticed this glitch a few times in the past when I would crash very hard into the ground ^^. tm.log <-- hope this tm log doesn't say too much about me ;) edit: no game crash, only black screen textures. Pressing T key fixes issue.

• I was able to confirm this crash on my machine. My error is a total game freeze, no black screen, and hitting the T key to try to change the time does nothing. Upon reboot the sim starts at the last location, Not in new york or with the helicopter.

I have the user made new york night lighting.

Devons rig

Intel Core i7 8700K @ 5.0GHz / 32.0GB G.SKILL TridentZ Series Dual-Channel Ram / ZOTAC GAMING GeForce® RTX 2080 Ti Triple Fan / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Rift VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 2x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / Windows 10 Pro 64-bit /Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Gaming 5 Motherboard

Edited once, last by HiFlyer ().

• Same problem, at Alcatraz using the 5 key. Once the time key is pressed all is ok except my sound would go out and I just hit the Q key.

Win7 home premium,nvidia GTX 1070ti lastest drivers.

• I have the same problem with external view locking up my game about 1/2 the time I change the view.

i7, 16 gig's, 1gig SSD, 1060GTX video card, oculus rift, Ch products yoke and pedals.

I'm a senior sysadmin so my system is updated and patched with the latest drivers and updates.

• We seem to have two different kinds of experiences here, some users talk about a black screen that can be fixed by changing the time of day, others have an actual crash.

If all of you could go back to your posts and include which of the bugs you are experiencing and which hardware you have, and if you have any user made scenery installed, this would help us a lot.

And if you can please attach your tm.log file from after the crash.

• Hi, I filmed it with my phone just in case, it did freeze up at about 1:14 into the vid

the problem is only (in my case) on 1 of the views, the one that you can pan around and up and down around the craft

Cheer, Ben

BennyBoy. I5 8600K @ 4,3ghz, 16 ram, GTX 1060 6G @ UW @2560 X 1080. Sim: AF2 & P3D V4

• I have tested this on 3 different computers each with different hardware, selected the exact same location and configuration that you stated crashes in both VR and 2D using both keyboard camera cycling, xbox shoulder button cycling, and Oculus Touch cycling with no crash at all after around 15 restarts. I even panned around the helicopter until the view actually went through the body and nothing at all.

We believe you with this issue but just can't replicate it. Since it's very limited that you state, I would suggest to just try to avoid that camera/location combination for the time being. Maybe at some point a reason might be more apparent and it could be fixed.

I also went through your TM log and found nothing out of the ordinary that would suggest a possible reason for your crash.

On behalf of Torsten, Marc, and the rest of the IPACS team, we would all like to thank you for your continued support.

Regards,

Jeff

• If you'd like to switch to private message and supply me with a debug or instrumented build, I can perform some tests or capture a dump file for the developers. I can reproduce this issue 100%.

I am one of the developers, as is Jan (jet-pack). We have tested this already and will likely have to move on from this for now as it's already taking too much time.

Regards,

Jeff