R22 Throttle (again)

• Am I right in thinking that the R22 throttle is virtually never used as all normal flying is done with the governor on and auto-throttle? If that's the case why make the comfy grip handle of the collective be the throttle? Won't it move with your hand as a distraction when you simply want to raise/lower? Surely have it somewhere out of the way?

The reason I ask is that I'm about to modify my home made collective to add a twist grip throttle but I'm wondering if its worth it. Am I giving myself a task/challenge that no pilots have in real life?

• Am I right in thinking that the R22 throttle is virtually never used as all normal flying is done with the governor on and auto-throttle? If that's the case why make the comfy grip handle of the collective be the throttle? Won't it move with your hand as a distraction when you simply want to raise/lower? Surely have it somewhere out of the way?

The reason I ask is that I'm about to modify my home made collective to add a twist grip throttle but I'm wondering if its worth it. Am I giving myself a task/challenge that no pilots have in real life?

The governor could fail and then you'd need manual control over the throttle and the twist grip is an easy way to access all controls at the same time.

In the real aircraft he throttle handle is actuated by the governor, so it rotates as you pull the collective as far as I know.

Regards,

Jan

• The governor could fail and then you'd need manual control over the throttle and the twist grip is an easy way to access all controls at the same time.

In the real aircraft he throttle handle is actuated by the governor, so it rotates as you pull the collective as far as I know.

The throttle is governed and also has a correlator.

Throttle control is absolutely a factor in real world training with the R-22. Governor off training is required to pass a PPL checkride. It is also not possible to practice autorotations without throttle control.

• The throttle is governed and also has a correlator.

Throttle control is absolutely a factor in real world training with the R-22. Governor off training is required to pass a PPL checkride. It is also not possible to practice autorotations without throttle control.

Great! Autorotation is a new one on me. Sounds like a nice challenge.