Swiss cultivation free from ORBX

• Hello TomB,

Thank you for all this information, I took good note!:thumbup:

Greetings, and Best Wishes 2019 !!!

Tomfa:)

Best wishes 😉

Pascal

AFS2 / FS4 / MSFS / - Intel(R) Core i7 -12800HX 4.80 GHz - DDR5 4800MHz 32 Go - NVIDIA GeForce RTX™ 3070 Ti 8 GB GDDR6X - 2x 2 TB SSD M.2 2280 PCIe Gen4

• Or by having the orthophotos and run the detection process from ScenProc.

scenProc autodetection works well for sparse alpine forests where OSM data is incomplete or roughly defined over-inclusive polygons but has major problems in areas where you have a mix of trees and cultivated farmland. No matter what histogram you choose there are some portions of the cauliflower or leek field that match the histogram and you end up with spurious trees in crop areas.

As far as variation of tree species with altitude I did experiment with defining rough elevation "contours" and varying the conifer/broadleaf percentages accordingly. i.e. points inside the "high-alpine" polygon are generated with 100% conifer, then tagged and unloaded. Points within the "alpine" polygon were generated with 50/50 conifer/broadleaf etc.

This worked well at preventing broadleaf trees showing up right next to a scree slope, however this was rather tedious to define the elevation polygons. I did not find any elevation dataset amenable to automating the task.

For urban/farmland areas I think the best approach is to collaborate by improving individual tree and tree row definitions in the OSM data. Improving the OSM data is to the benefit of everyone (even outside the flight sim community).

/Stu

i7-6700K CPU @ 4.00GHz | ASUS Z170-A | 16Gb DDR4 | Samsung SSD 950 PRO NVME M.2 256GB | Samsung SSD 850 EVO 1TB | GeForce GTX 1080 Ti on GP102-A GPU | Oculus CV1 | Windows 10

Edited once, last by lenidcamper (December 28, 2018 at 5:09 PM).

• Hi, for ORBX, just registing on https://orbxdirect.com/ and install FTX central, for Fligtsim.org, as said Tomfa, just register and follow the instructions off the differents addon.

I took the plunge, and that was pretty painless!

Thank you!

And thanks Tomfa also, I missed your original post.

Now I have an issue with Saanen from ORBX:

I am assuming one of the US cultivations I installed would be intruding?

I find the Aerofly folder structure difficult to follow, so have no idea where this might be coming from.

Would be glad of any advice.

Edited once, last by WingZ (December 29, 2018 at 11:02 PM).

• I had the same, and it normalised after I removed Bavaria cultivation and FScloud ports. I opened a topic at ORBX place

Edited 2 times, last by Toriy (December 30, 2018 at 9:21 PM).

• Already answered... this silly airplanes (you will never see some dash or similar in Saanen), especially in these little old ex military aprons.... these aircrafts are included in some fscloud other switzelrand airport. You will see, if you deactivate some of these fs cloud switzerland airport, the problem (and these silly static airliners in Saanen) disappear.... I suspect Bex (Lsgb), but it has to be confirmed....

Apparently, the programmer of some fscloud switzerland airport has put some extra static aircraft in Saanen (in the wrong altitude)... so it is a bug.

Friendly from Switzerland

• Thank you Toriy and HerveF for the replies!

Encouraging that it is not just me, now to figure out what I put where...

EDIT:

...which turned up in an earlier install

\Documents\Aerofly FS 2\scenery\places\CH\LSGB

and problem solved!

Maybe this will help someone else in future...

Edited once, last by WingZ (December 31, 2018 at 12:21 PM).

• I already reported it.

Devons rig

Intel Core i5-13600K - Core i5 13th Gen 14-Core (6P+8E) @ 5.5Ghz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 32GB RAM DDR5 6000 / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070Ti GAMING OC 12G / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 6x Samsung SSD/NVME's various sizes / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 ATX Motherboard DDR5

• Switzerland has become my favorite place to fly now. I already thought the ground textures were the best of this sim (together with South Florida it beats TrueEarth and certainly beats the free default scenery because of the great colors: the sun really shines here!) but I never liked the flat photoreal. This addon solves that completely! Pity it's such a small country. ;) Hopefully future IPACS DLC scenery will have similar full colors as the Swiss and Florida. And cultivation out of the box.

• The cultivation(s) for Switzerland is(are) great, but where are really too much trees for towns like Bern, Geneva or Bale etc.

Keeping the Default-DLC of Switzerland untouched, I'm working in my addon-defintions with a trees-exclusion-file for the vegetation, replacing it with OSM-build trees (using a middle density for trees-generation). You would get better results, even it is not perfect too.

See for example Departure from Bern (LSZB) and some impressions south-east of Zurich:

[Blocked Image: https://i.postimg.cc/DzbMySBZ/aerofly-fs-2-screenshot-06-20181028-234938.jpg]

[Blocked Image: https://i.postimg.cc/Pr33WW7J/aerofly-fs-2-screenshot-08-20181023-231231.jpg]

[Blocked Image: https://i.postimg.cc/SshDSDnT/aerofly-fs-2-screenshot-09-20181023-231300.jpg]

How it works: Include an additional entry in the cultivation-section of your *.tsc-file:

<[list_tmsimulator_scenery_cultivation][cultivation_files][]
    <[tmsimulator_scenery_cultivation][element][0]
    <[string8][filename][Bern_treesexclA]>
    <[string8][building_textures_folder][]>
    <[bool][auto_height][true]>
    >
    <[tmsimulator_scenery_cultivation][element][0]
    <[string8][filename][Bern_autogenA]>
    <[string8][building_textures_folder][]>
    <[bool][auto_height][true]>
    >
    >

The file "Bern_autogenA.toc" includes the OSM-generated trees by using Scenproc (done with Vers. 6) while the file "Bern_treesexclA.toc" contains the coordinates of the exlusion for the default-vegetation (Swiss DLC):

Bern_treesexclA.toc

<[file][][Bern_treesexclA]
    <[cultivation][][]
    <[string8][coordinate_system][lonlat]>
    <[vegetation_exclusion_zone_list][vegetation_map_exclusion_zone_list][]
    <[vegetation_map_exclusion_zone][element][0]
    <[vector2_float64][min][7.0313 46.9811]>
    <[vector2_float64][max][7.3829 47.2178]>
    >
    >
    >
    >

Just try it out and see the difference!

Regards,

Chris

• It's a realy good result and open a great improvement of some areas where the original trees cultivation is a bit "anarchic"

Unfortunatly I followed your indications but the default vegetation is still there... I've probably done something wrong but can't find it.

Regards

Didier

• It's a realy good result and open a great improvement of some areas where the original trees cultivation is a bit "anarchic"

Unfortunatly I followed your indications but the default vegetation is still there... I've probably done something wrong but can't find it.

Regards

Didier

Same for me....

• Hello,

From the coordinates I read, this is the tree exclusion rectangle. Is this right?

Seems to be quite offset from Bern town or airport.

Best, Sylvain

• This is great stuff, Switzerland is my favourite place in the world in RL and in Aerofly, and it keeps getting better.

I don't want to be greedy, but wouldn't it be great if the Shilthorn clash is fixed and if someone produces some more bespoke buildings such as city centres, the Sphinx and the Gornergrat observatories etc.

• I second all the positive comments above and would like to thank all the people who have been involved in creating this. As a Swiss guy I had a natural inclination to fly over CH but with those changes and with the R22 it has become even better.

As Majick is pointing out creating some PO in "large" and even smaller cities would certainly bring it to the next level, but beside requiring the adequate knowledge in 3D graphics building (which I don't have) it might be a lot of work as well.

One point that might possibly be fixed is that highways/freeways in Switzerland are not illuminated - besides small portions within some cities. Would it thus be possible to remove the lights along the highways to make night flying more realistic. BTW the same holds true for most of the roads outside of towns but this may be more difficult to achieve with a small fix

• I did some investigations regarding the default trees.

They are all defined in the folder 'vegetation' which can be found in the scenery folder of aerofly. The defintions of the trees in Switzerland are at the end and start with the file 'mapt_10_8400_a540.ttc' down to file 'mapt_10_8740_a640.ttc'. The numbers 8400 to 8740 define stripes from west to east and the figures a500 to a700 define parts of these north-south stripes. With some trials I found out that the file 'mapt_10_8540_a600.ttc' defines a region around Berne. The file parts like 'a500' or 'a5c0' look like hexadecimal figures and can be changed into decimal figures. Definitely they define the north-south sequence. I have moved these swiss tree definiton files into a separate folder in my documents folder called vegetation. Now I can exclude regions by renaming one or more files to .bak. Like this I can replace that region by a toc-file generated from OSM data with better tree coverage.

The picture below shows the border of the 8540 stripe west of Berne looking north.

As Majick is pointing out creating some PO in "large" and even smaller cities would certainly bring it to the next level, but beside requiring the adequate knowledge in 3D graphics building (which I don't have) it might be a lot of work as well.

This exists and must be converted to aerofly format with the allowance of the author if published. But for personal use I guess this is possible.

One point that might possibly be fixed is that highways/freeways in Switzerland are not illuminated - besides small portions within some cities. Would it thus be possible to remove the lights along the highways to make night flying more realistic. BTW the same holds true for most of the roads outside of towns but this may be more difficult to achieve with a small fix

This is possible with a tool like JOSM where the OSM data can be edited. You need to remove the parts of e.g. the highway you do not want to be illuminated. Then by the process of ScenProc the removed parts will not have light points anymore. An awful lot of work. Mybe as a managed joint project with people from this forum.

Regarding OSM and JOSM I have a question: does someone understand how the OSM data can be filtered when downloading. I have read it is possible but I did not understand the coding. I think it would be very useful to just download data you need e.g. streets, trees, forests etc. If you have downloaded just the streets the handling and editing in JOSM would be much easier.

Regards,

Thomas

i7-14700KF @ 5.6 GHz, Geforce RTX 4090, 32MB RAM, 1TB SSD M.2, 1TB SSD M.2, 2TB SSD M.2, 32" Monitor 4K, Pimax Crystal

• Honestly, I areas that are just too "hairy" (poking through buildings, covering streets) to be endured, I just turn off trees altogether in settings. In rivajes Los Angeles for instance, no trees makes things a LOT better.

Devons rig

Intel Core i5-13600K - Core i5 13th Gen 14-Core (6P+8E) @ 5.5Ghz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 32GB RAM DDR5 6000 / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070Ti GAMING OC 12G / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 6x Samsung SSD/NVME's various sizes / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 ATX Motherboard DDR5