Tips for the dash 8 400

• Do not go full flap, keep it at a realistic 15 degrees. Full flap would only be used by a real pilot on really short runways.

Turbo-props have no thrust setting, only power. Speed 130 sounds good for flaps 5, 10 or 15, keep torque at 18 or 20% on final, during flare don't abruptly reduce it, I prefer to keep it in. If you need flap full you can go slower, like 115 or so, that will shorten the landing distance further.

Here is out extensive tutorial for the q400:

https://www.aerofly.com/dokuwiki/doku.…raft:dash8-q400

• Do not go full flap, keep it at a realistic 15 degrees. Full flap would only be used by a real pilot on really short runways.

Turbo-props have no thrust setting, only power. Speed 130 sounds good for flaps 5, 10 or 15, keep torque at 18 or 20% on final, during flare don't abruptly reduce it, I prefer to keep it in. If you need flap full you can go slower, like 115 or so, that will shorten the landing distance further.

Here is out extensive tutorial for the q400:

https://www.aerofly.com/dokuwiki/doku.…raft:dash8-q400

Danke für die Erklärung! Ich werd’s mal versuchen;)

• Actually, the proper method for the Q400 is to NOT flare at all, but at the point where the flair would normally be initiated, add about 30% more power than you are currently using, then at touchdown, bring power back to idle before applying reverse blade angle. The extra power wll flatten out the descent, and then just hold what you have until she gently slips to the runway.

• > This technique might work with the Aerofly Dash8 but that's definitely not the way to land this plane IRL.

IRL (and in the sim) you flare the Q400 like all other conventional aircraft.

Typically you are correct, however I was presuming based on the initial post that the user was having difficulty landing the Q400. Typically, this is a result of high sink rates from an unstabilized approach, especially in this aircraft (IRL and Aerofly). When experiencing high sink low in the approach, there is little additional pitch available to stop the descent, and adding power as needed, sometimes a lot of power, is really your only recourse, other than a go around.

Once they learn to get out of those high sink scenarios, they will learn to be able to complete the landings normally, and ultimately learn to keep the approach stable to begin with without having the 'behind the power curve' sink at the end.

• IRL (and in the sim) you flare the Q400 like all other conventional aircraft.

Not entirely. The difference with the Q400 is that you don't touch the throttle when you flare. Where you would pull back throttle in another plane during the flare you keep it where it is in the Q400 until touchdown (providing you have the proper landing speed, of course).

I certainly would NOT recommend adding throttle! You want to land at the landing spot, not somewhere near the middle of the runway.

• Not entirely. The difference with the Q400 is that you don't touch the throttle when you flare. Where you would pull back throttle in another plane during the flare you keep it where it is in the Q400 until touchdown (providing you have the proper landing speed, of course).

I certainly would NOT recommend adding throttle! You want to land at the landing spot, not somewhere near the middle of the runway.

I don't know if you have flown the Q400 IRL and/or in a Level D sim, but I can assure you that you usually decrease power during the flare in the real (and the simulated) Q400 if you are flying at the correct approach speed with the correct ROD.

When flying at a slightly higher approach speed you can land a Q400 with idle power as well (with flaps 15).

That said, as GACSavannah pointed out, if you are getting low and slow, the only way to salvage the approach is to add power since you are slightly more pitch limited than with most other airplanes.

Btw, you don't want (or need) to land at a correct 'spot', you want to touch down within the touchdown zone (that's why it's being called touchdown zone ;)

Although I personally never add power in the flare, there are a few pilots who sometimes add a small amount of power (after the initial power reduction during or before the flare of course) to achieve a greaser.

• The posts in this thread really have not helped the OP at all, it has only created a debate. I'm going to close this thread simply to not create more confusion for the OP that simply only wanted to know the best way to land the bird.

IPACS Development Team Member

I'm just a cook, I don't own the restaurant.
    On behalf of Torsten, Marc, and the rest of the IPACS team, we would all like to thank you for your continued support.

Regards,

Jeff