About the Q400 landing

• When I did my PPL I had a great instructor, it's been years but we always kept in touch. I gave him a call, to my surprise and for family reason he is bask flying the Q400 for Air Canada (he was on a A320-200), so I ask him a few questions on landing the Q400 and explained how our simulator behave VS the real thing. Since he is a bit far away we decided to watch together a few Youtube video of some cockpit view landing.

So I did a few landing and filmed everything and showed him.

First he was amazed by the realism of the simulator, he didn't know that public Simulator where so realistic.

First the rudder (yaw) trimming, that a true as hell but mostly on power variation, not much where you set for landing. He saw that on landing I was playing constantly with the yaw trim and he told me, well stop that and fly the plane :P meaning use the rudder <X if needed.

Flap at landing, IPACS is right, not fully extracted unless you are doing a STOL landing and also it's depending n the wind.

Flaring, about none with a Q400, I said why? He replied it want to fly at all cost, we even have to push it down and sometime keep some elevator down wile braking (see the video bellow) , I laugh when he said simply, it's a high wing thing :)

Power at landing (if the slope is good), about 15% and you may go up to 30-35% (see last video) before-at flaring... or NOT.

He said to conclude, it's a more sensitive plane in general....

Ben

ps. I will put mine online later, maybe some other could do so, that could be fun.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

BennyBoy. I5 8600K @ 4,3ghz, 16 ram, GTX 1060 6G @ UW @2560 X 1080. Sim: AF2 & P3D V4

• By flare I mean keeping the nose up longer to bleed some speed and for smoother landing, a perfect landing is a controlled stall (GA plane not Airliner)

BennyBoy. I5 8600K @ 4,3ghz, 16 ram, GTX 1060 6G @ UW @2560 X 1080. Sim: AF2 & P3D V4

• By flare I mean keeping the nose up longer to bleed some speed and for smoother landing, a perfect landing is a controlled stall (GA plane not Airliner)

The reason for the flare (pitch increase) is not to bleed speed, but to reduce the ROD.

Concerning GA planes; Not every GA plane should be landed in a stalled condition and you definitely don't to the get that slow for a perfect landing.

The guy in the second video unintentionally demonstrates how difficult directional control becomes once you get really slow.

Just look at the 3:10 point how far he deviates from the centerline.

• My friend read your post... and he said let it go Ben....

I have over 2000 hours of flight time... Rogers who is the pilot of the Q400 as close to 15,000 hours.

So think what you want...

Ben