Using AC3D to make Aircraft for AF2

• I'm beginning to get to grips with AC3D but many questions are coming to mind. Where possible I'm trying to find the answers for myself but I thought I'd ask here to see if any individuals who are familiar with the software may be willing to share their knowledge.

First question I have... Looking at the DR400 example and the software itself… there seems to be no animation function in the program and you cant manually adjust object centres to where you want them... I could easily do that in MAX. Am I right in assuming that you specify how to animate objects and what axis to use in the TMD files? That sounds kind of tricky. Thankfully my current subject has no complicated linkages on landing gear etc but I'm still thinking this wont be a breeze.

Thanks, Matt

• We are pleased that you have an interest in developing aircraft and we will assist you in any way possible for a successful outcome. Jan (Jet-Pack) is a part of our IPACS development team and he can assist you best with the TMD file. As for animations it's best to use 3DS Max for this as AC3D is highly limited. If you have any specific and direct questions along the way feel free to ask us.

IPACS Development Team Member

I'm just a cook, I don't own the restaurant.
    On behalf of Torsten, Marc, and the rest of the IPACS team, we would all like to thank you for your continued support.

Regards,

Jeff

• I don't have access to MAX as a private user I'm afraid. I bought AC3D to build models for AF2 and XP11 as it was affordable. I can certainly build a high quality model and texture it but if your saying I would need another program like MAX to animate it that would be a serious impediment to this endeavour. The XP11 plugin for ACD3 allows you to create animations but as far as I'm aware the AF2 plugin for ACD3 only allows an export in to a form your program understands to compile. I found no mention of animation in the SDK. I'm hoping I haven't massively misunderstood what's involved.

Thanks, Matt

• Jeff, may I correct you a bit?

The animations aren't done in Max (or any other modelling program). They are all done within the TMD file. Yes, it's tricky and much more complex, compared to FSX/P3D. At the other hand, you have much more possibilities and basically all the freedom you want.

Kai

• Jeff, may I correct you a bit?

The animations aren't done in Max (or any other modelling program). They are all done within the TMD file. Yes, it's tricky and much more complex, compared to FSX/P3D. At the other hand, you have much more possibilities and basically all the freedom you want.

Kai

Of course I'm aware of this as one of the core developers. I was simply stating that it's much easier in 3DS Max as opposed to AC3D. Ac3D is extremely lacking if you plan on developing a high quality product. I'm fully aware of what the TMD file does and how it works.

On behalf of Torsten, Marc, and the rest of the IPACS team, we would all like to thank you for your continued support.

Regards,

Jeff

• Of course I'm aware of this as one of the core developers. I was simply stating that it's much easier in 3DS Max as opposed to AC3D. Ac3D is extremely lacking if you plan on developing a high quality product. I'm fully aware of what the TMD file does and how it works.

I don't doubt that, Jeff.

But I think, Matt understood that Max is a requirement to build an aircraft for FS2, at least that's how I was reading your and his answer. I just wanted to point out that it's in FS2 not like in P3D, were you need Max for the key frame animation.

And of course I agree that Max is the way to go. I have been modelling years with gmax before moving to Max...

Kai

• I probably could have responded a bit more clear.

I hope and encourage that the OP ask a lot of questions and not get discouraged.

Regards,

Jeff