• This is actually the big brother to the PA-11 but it makes a great screen background while we wait.

The original photo came from AOPA btw.

If we have a developer among us that wishes to build something that practically everyone knows and has a great reputation, but, is still a fairly simple design, I think the Carbon Cub would be a wonderful choice. There are several models in the Cubcrafter family but the FX3 or SS are the most common. They all seem to have the big oversized tires and many have a modern panel with a fancy GPS in the panel.

After saying that, if that developer wishes to stay in the actual Piper Cub family, I would recommend he take a very serious look at the PA-18, commonly called the Super Cub. Like everything else that old, there are many variations, but most have to do with the engine size.

One thing that practically all the later model PA-18s have in common is they have an electrical system with a generator and starter, 3 position flaps, and a Lycoming engine of either 150 or 180 hp. These are perfect for adding floats or skis or oversized tires for backcountry flying. The Super Cub is only slightly larger than the J3 and Special but most folks can't see the difference and therefore they are all "Piper Cubs"

There are probably pages of differences between the Early cubs and the Super Cub, but only the Super Cub owners know the important ones. A higher gross weight and a larger cg envelope is big plus. Dual fuel tanks located in the wings enhance the range and provide more fuel for the larger engines. The primary airfoil is actually a different wing than the J3 and Special. This is commonly referred to as a "High Lift" wing and can be found in many of the later and somewhat modern Piper low wing models. Some call this a Hershey bar wing.

I think the best answer to the question of what is the difference in the Cub and the Super Cub? "about $20,000". But, having an electrical starter, more fuel, flaps, and more useable load would sway me towards the Super Cub every time.

Regards,

Ray

• i fully agree with you ! Only a Super Cub (with 150 or 180hp) can climb, land and take off from Switzerland glacier landing places situated usually between 9000 and 12000 ft.... I’m living in the swiss alps (Sion Airport - LSGS), and we have at the airport many Super Cub, one Carbon cub, an aviat Husky, and a maule mx 7.... such planes are workhorses for glaciers landing and tkoff... the classical J3 or L4 Piper Pa 18 « cub » from 65 to 90 hp is clearly flown as a vintage plane, and none is used since more than 40 years for such wheels/skis operations.

Regards, Herve

Edited 3 times, last by HerveF (February 3, 2019 at 1:22 AM).

• i fully agree with you ! Only a Super Cub (with 150 or 180hp) can climb, land and take off from Switzerland glacier landing places situated usually between 9000 and 12000 ft....

While I don't question this conclusion based on your direct experience, I can say that I have landed krzysk's Cub Special on top of the glaciers and even mountain tops in FS 1. :)

• While I don't question this conclusion based on your direct experience, I can say that I have landed krzysk's Cub Special on top of the glaciers and even mountain tops in FS 1. :)

Krzysk's Cub Special can be given the 90 hp engine upgrade with some selective lines of code that should provide an increase in performance. If no developer steps up for a follow-on project, we may even be able to approach the specs of a Super Cub, but, without the exact wing airfoil and flaps. Provided Jan is successful in adding his Cold and Dark features to krzysk's Special it will have electrics so other than the absence of operating flaps the FS2 Specialcould be very close to a Super Cub.

Due to the fuel tank's increased capacity and relocation from under the cowling to the left wing root as part of the PA-11 design we could increase the fuel load a little more to accommodate a larger engine and possibly increase the gross weight accordingly. This weight shift also helped move the cg aft so the Cub Special can be flown solo from the front seat - something that was not possible with the basic J-3 cub.

The FS2 Cub Special would not be a true Super Cub, but it could as a minimum be a souped-up Cub Special. :D

Regards,

Ray

• I still would love to see the Carbon Cub in Aerofly. Maybe Jay can send someone else the files to continue the project so that we don't have to start from scratch...

Hey guys

I apologise for the lack of updates regarding the Carbon Cub. Trust me, I would love to see it in AFS already but the truth is, I didn't have enough time to make decent progress. I and my Mrs had recently our firstborn so things are little overwhelming:sleeping:

I will gladly share the "model in progress" with other artist, provided he will pay real attention to detail in the cockpit area (my original intention). I also have tons of documentation that would come with it.

PM me if you like.

I don't think I will get the chance to continue working on it any time soon though||

Over and Out

Jay

• Hey guys

I apologise for the lack of updates regarding the Carbon Cub. Trust me, I would love to see it in AFS already but the truth is, I didn't have enough time to make decent progress. I and my Mrs had recently our firstborn so things are little overwhelming:sleeping:

I will gladly share the "model in progress" with other artist, provided he will pay real attention to detail in the cockpit area (my original intention). I also have tons of documentation that would come with it.

PM me if you like.

I don't think I will get the chance to continue working on it any time soon though||

Jan, Do you think Jay's Carbon Cub project is far enough along for you to pick it up and run with it?

Regards,

Ray

• I wonder is larrylynx might be interested in this project - now that his F-104G is flying?

Let's make a Carbon Cub for AFS2 - 2019

Regards,

Ray

Hi Ray, I have zero modelling experience, it would take too much time.

OK thanks. I created a new thread for the Carbon Cub - 2019 project.

Let's make a Carbon Cub for AFS2 - 2019

Regards,

Ray

• i fully agree with you ! Only a Super Cub (with 150 or 180hp) can climb, land and take off from Switzerland glacier landing places situated usually between 9000 and 12000 ft.... I’m living in the swiss alps (Sion Airport - LSGS), and we have at the airport many Super Cub, one Carbon cub, an aviat Husky, and a maule mx 7.... such planes are workhorses for glaciers landing and tkoff... the classical J3 or L4 Piper Pa 18 « cub » from 65 to 90 hp is clearly flown as a vintage plane, and none is used since more than 40 years for such wheels/skis operations.

Regards, Herve

...very interesting Herve! And which Helicopters are in use there for glacier landings/take offs?

Switzerland is world wide famous for its mountain rescue, and I'm really hoping that the R22 Robinson will not be the only heli in AFS2 in future !!!!

• ...very interesting Herve! And which Helicopters are in use there for glacier landings/take offs?

Switzerland is world wide famous for its mountain rescue, and I'm really hoping that the R22 Robinson will not be the only heli in AFS2 in future !!!!

Mostly some AS-350 and some Bell 407 for VIP transportation, aerial work and Rescue... only one R22, one Colibri, and 2 R66 Turbine Robinson (all these only used for training)... For sure, in AFs2 the R 22 has already a lot of problem to climb in the alps over 12'000 ft ;-)... we need a powerful Bell 407, for example.

• Mostly some AS-350 and some Bell 407 for VIP transportation, aerial work and Rescue... only one R22, one Colibri, and 2 R66 Turbine Robinson (all these only used for training)... For sure, in AFs2 the R 22 has already a lot of problem to climb in the alps over 12'000 ft ;-)... we need a powerful Bell 407, for example.

The real workhorse in the Alps has long been the Lama, a powerful Alouette III turbine in a lightweight and agile Alouette II cell resulted in a versatile and pretty much unbeaten payload lifter. The open rear structure makes it less sensitive to mountain winds, which is highly appreciated in rescue operations

Just recently EASA decided it was not possible anymore to rescue people without a multi engine helicopter, but there's no real successor.

[Blocked Image: https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-z_q8Ury-h-I/UWqaJKcHGBI/AAAAAAAAM_w/G2BLQP-zZeA/w781-h585-no/Air+Glaciers+SA315B+Lama+HB-XTO+Bex+Switzerland+1+Sep+07.jpg]

Regarding aircraft, yes the Super Cub is still the master on Swiss Glaciers.

Cheers

Antoine

Cheers

Antoine

Config : i7 6900K - 20MB currently set at 3.20GHz, Cooling Noctua NH-U14S, Motherboard ASUS Rampage V Extreme U3.1, RAM HyperX Savage Black Edition 16GB DDR4 3000 MHz, Graphic Card Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 8GB, Power supply Corsair RM Series 850W, Windows 10 64 bit.

• Here is a short and really inspiring video of the World Record Landing on the Mt. Everest (8848 m) in the year 2005 in a AS 350 B3+:

World Record - Mount Everest AS350 B3 landing

Didier Delsalle, a french, was the pilot:

[Blocked Image: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/82/Didier_Delsalle.jpg]

PS: Not to mention "Lukla X" from Aerosoft is comming soon to AFS2 (thread here: Lukla by Aerosoft ). It would be AWESOME to replay this flight in AFS2 :)

Edited once, last by KalEl (February 4, 2019 at 7:42 PM).

• Hi,

Lately I sorted out my projects and connected running versions of models to the GitHub platform. This allows me to share developed staff with others for testing. Most of models are still in the private domain as they are still in the early stage of development, but some of them are available in the public domain. You can find it here: https://github.com/krzysk1?tab=repositories

You can look at my repositories and see what is currently in the public domain, but also you can download models and test it! (use Clone or download green button). From time to time I will add new models there. If you create GitHub account, you can also cooperate with me to submit comments and issues, or develop these models yourself.

One note: it is the platform for developers, so the models included there are infinite, they can have numerous errors that cause problems. I am dedicating this possibility to those who can deal with installing and testing models at their own risk (that's why I do not give instructions on how to use it;))

Enjoy it

Krzysk

• As a heads up, I tried the An2 but when I placed the plane within the Aerofly aircraft folder, it did not appear in the available choices when the sim was started. Taking a look, I noticed that the downloaded folder, An2-Master apparently violated the Aerofly naming conventions, and it only appeared within Aerofly once the folder was renamed An2

Devons rig

Intel Core i5-13600K - Core i5 13th Gen 14-Core (6P+8E) @ 5.5Ghz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 32GB RAM DDR5 6000 / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070Ti GAMING OC 12G / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 6x Samsung SSD/NVME's various sizes / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 ATX Motherboard DDR5

• Thanks for sharing these great models Krzysk. Is it ok to leave feedback here?

1) Beech D18 defaults to Cessna... tm attached in case it helps identify problem

2) colour washed out on Trimotor... too much reflection I think

3) similar problem with AN2 canopy frame and interior

4) Chipmunk loads with canopy open and I cant find a way to close it

Only had a brief chance to try them out... Love the PZL. Will let you know if I find anything else.

Matt

• 4) Chipmunk loads with canopy open and I cant find a way to close it

Landing gear button closes canopy

Devons rig

Intel Core i5-13600K - Core i5 13th Gen 14-Core (6P+8E) @ 5.5Ghz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 32GB RAM DDR5 6000 / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070Ti GAMING OC 12G / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 6x Samsung SSD/NVME's various sizes / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 ATX Motherboard DDR5