Impossible to create aircraft with AC3D

• Hello IPACS team,

I'm making some tests to see how far I can go with creating an aircraft with AC3D.

As a first test, I opened the DR400.ac in AC3D and simply exported it as .tgi file without making any change. The resulting .tgi file is only 3.958 MB vs 7.446 MB for the .tgi file provided with the SDK.

I can convert the aircraft with no error using the latest aircraft converter (version 1.2.5 aug 21 2018 build 1581).

I can select the aircraft in the sim but as soon as I hit START I have a CTD with aerofly fs2 main executable has stopped working error.

So my question : is it really possible to create an aircraft with AC3D ?

• I can confirm I also get the undersize TGI file from the exporter. Haven't bothered taking it through to next stage as assume result will be the same... with little time I have today would rather be flying than developing. Hope things can and will be sorted.

Matt

• Hi,

The Ac3d plugin changes all object names to lower case. To compile aircraft correctly you have to use only lower cases in Ac3d and in TMD file.

I think it's a bug because aircraft converter reports "ugly names" warnings, but it is working for me (see my aircrafts here: Some developments). Of course, I would be good if it was fixed

Cheers

Krzysk

• Hi Matt

FS2 Likes thing to be named in a certain way, LeftWing or LeftWingThingAttachmentPin. If you look in the aircraft TMD you will see entries like this

<[hingedbodygraphics][AngleOfAttackNeedle][]

<[uint32][PositionID][Fuselage.R]>

<[uint32][OrientationID][Fuselage.Q]>

<[string8][GeometryList][ NeedleAoA ]>

<[uint32][InputAngle][AngleOfAttackMapping.Output]>

<[tmvector3d][Axis][ -0.9659 0.00000 0.2588 ]>

<[tmvector3d][Pivot][ 6.1033 0.0385 0.4647 ]>

<[float64][AngleMax][1.00]>

<[string8][InputIllumination1][InstrumentLighting.Output]>

<[string8][InputIllumination0][PanelLighting.Output]>

>

Everything is written the same way, for the GeometryList the name is NeedleAoA and this is what AC3D should output and not needleaoa

ReducesTheNeedForExtraSpaces :/

Surprising how quickly you get used to reading it

Steve

• BTW and when converting objects, textures with uppercases in their name cause troubles.

For instance, say you have an object painted with a texture named TEXTURE_COLOR.BMP

IPACS converter fails and tm.log indicates "ERROR: texture_color.bmp" not found and "ERROR: TEXTURE_COLOR.BMP is not used by any model"

When importing 3D models from FS World, where uppercases are common, I usually first convert into collada text format that my tools can edit with appropriate textures naming (lowercases only, _color, _light, _bump, etc. suffixes) prior to create a TGI that can be compiled.

My 2 quite off-topic cents

Antoine

Config : i7 6900K - 20MB currently set at 4.00GHz, Cooling Noctua NH-U14S, Motherboard ASUS Rampage V Extreme U3.1, RAM HyperX Savage Black Edition 16GB DDR4 3000 MHz, Graphic Card Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 8GB, Power supply Corsair RM Series 850W, Windows 10 64 bit.

• That is because aerofly runs on multiple platforms and to insure that file names are lower case the exporter enforces that.
    Some operating systems treat the files Image.bmp and image.bmp as two separate files.

And for similar reasons none of our scenery folders or aircraft folders contain spaces. Any user scenery that does contain spaces might eventually run into trouble, e.g. when others try to run them on mac or linux or on android or ios

• Jan... would you recommend then that I use all lower case in object and texture names... in 3D model and Config files... given the problem with the exporter....

Or stick to convention in SDK and expect problem in exporter to be fixed in due course?

Matt

• Jan... would you recommend then that I use all lower case in object and texture names... in 3D model and Config files... given the problem with the exporter....

Or stick to convention in SDK and expect problem in exporter to be fixed in due course?

Matt

All file names should be lower case, all object names should be in CamelStyle. For now just add the lower case object names in the geometry lists in the tmd file until we have a fix for the exporter issue. Then you'll just need to change them to upper case in the tmd file and everything is back to normal.