Any new models?

• I've been away from AFS2 for about a year and am getting back into it. Other than the R22 heli and user created Do27, have there been any new models in the last year? I've updated to the latest level of AFS2 ,and checked flight-sim.org, and it doesn't appear to have anything new other than the R22. I was hoping to discover something in the way of classic GA models such as the Piper J3 or SuprCub, or Aeronca Champ, or TaylorCraft, etc., or maybe an UltraLight.

• I've been away from AFS2 for about a year and am getting back into it. Other than the R22 heli and user created Do27, have there been any new models in the last year? I've updated to the latest level of AFS2 ,and checked flight-sim.org, and it doesn't appear to have anything new other than the R22. I was hoping to discover something in the way of classic GA models such as the Piper J3 or SuprCub, or Aeronca Champ, or TaylorCraft, etc., or maybe an UltraLight.

https://www.aerofly-sim.de/dow…oflyfs2/aerofly_fs_2_s211

Devons rig

Intel Core i7 8700K @ 5.0GHz / 32.0GB G.SKILL TridentZ Series Dual-Channel Ram / ZOTAC GAMING GeForce® RTX 2080 Ti Triple Fan / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Rift VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 2x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / Windows 10 Pro 64-bit /Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Gaming 5 Motherboard

• I know of two models being developed by the user community. One for us low and slow flyers that long for the good ole days of fabric and small Continental engines and one for us flyers that long for the Mach meter and like to run around like our hair is on fire shooting flames out the back end. Both could be released in a matter or weeks or maybe months but from reading the forums the developers post pictures of them flying these wonderful new creations in AFS2.

Out there in the wind is an old timer from the very early IPACS days that has enough personal designs to fill a large museum and he recently bought AF2 during the last Christmas sale. There are no hints at when he might release some of these beauties for our shared pleasure, but, you can drool through Krzysk's collection in this post. Some developments

The first one mentioned above , a bright yellow one being built by Kai, is a Buecker 181 Bestmann / Gomhouria MK.6 with astounding detail and can be seen in this post. Buecker 181 Bestmann / Gomhouria MK.6

The high and fast one is none other than the Super Starfighter and can be followed by reading the exchanges between Steve and Jan here. F104G Starfighter

Regards,

Ray

Roy, I should mention that you need to follow the link within the link of Krzysztof's collection. This is an absolutely mind boggling collection ranging from gliders to jets, cars to aircraft carriers, and complex sceneries. I have personally flown (in the real world) a handful or more of his designs so I am eager to see them start to arrive in Aerofly FS2.

When Pigs Fly. A steely-eyed Sierra Hotel record setting F-15E Strike Eagle simulator pilot. 8o

ready for some voices in the sky? now available . . . Aerofly FS2 RC ATC https://afs2rcatc.com/

• Great summary for a good question. I vote Ray for the Consistently High Quality Contributions (CHQC) to the forum award.

P.S. My mind is boggled. I hadn't fully scrolled through Krzysztof's collection before.

• I know of two models being developed by the user community. One for us low and slow flyers that long for the good ole days of fabric and small Continental engines and one for us flyers that long for the Mach meter and like to run around like our hair is on fire shooting flames out the back end.

I am definitely in the first category! Thanks very much for the links. Looking through the Krzysztof Kaniewski collection made me hyperventilate!

I have done "repaints" on models in RC sims before, so took a look at what would be involved in creating an Aeronca Champ for AFS2, including spending about an hour in the wiki SDK tutorial. Also looked for some kind of FSX to ASF2 model converter. Found ModelConvertX, but that seems to be mainly for scenery. Came to the conclusion that creating a new model for AFS2 would take months of learning and development time, which I don't have available right now. I would certainly encourage IPACS to consider improvement of the SDK into a "model builder for dummies" front end interface where one could plug in 3-view, control panel, cockpit images, and "fill in the blanks" entry of aerodynamic data such as stall speed, never exceed speed, aircraft weight, dimensions, airfoil, etc. such that the SDK could "compile" everything else it needs to create the data files. I know this would be a big effort, but the variety and quantity of available models certainly increases the marketability of a flight simulator. Yes, it's a "quality vs quantity" issue, but maybe there could be two categories of models -- scale and semi-scale. Just thinking out loud.

Thanks to this post I've been able to add 3 additional models (dhc1, do27 & s211) to the AFS2 hangar. This is much appreciated!

:thumbup:

• a "model builder for dummies"...
    where one could plug in 3-view....

Such a tool would take decades to develop and then we would all be jobless. Internally we have started working with 3D scans, which are like the deluxe version of your 3-view, photos, etc. but with these we still need to re-model all parts in an optimized way that can be rendered on screen fast enough even on your ipads. I'd rather spend the foreseeable future on adding high quality aircraft or a high quantity of aircraft than no aircraft and just focusing on that tool.

• I'd rather spend the foreseeable future on adding high quality aircraft or a high quantity of aircraft than no aircraft and just focusing on that tool.

Even better!

It's the old "there's no free lunch" and/or "pay me now or pay me later" and/or "you get what you pay for" rules when it comes to "roll your own" sim models. I'd much rather you do it than me. :)

p.s. Can I put in a bid for a 30's/40's tail dragger (J3/Aeronca Champ)?

DHC1? Have I missed something?

link to download: https://www.aerofly.com/commun…ex.php?user/45932-adak47/

more info: https://www.aerofly.com/commun…e/154-dhc-1-3/#comment925