Video tutorial: How to import 3D Models using Sketchup and MCX

• Import models into AF2 Video: How to import 3D Models Video

Programs you will need: Sketchup / Model Converter X / Notepad ++

Files included: 3D Model Convert.zip

Not mentioned in video: How to edit content convert output location.

1. Right click "content_converter_config" open with Notepad++

2. Change to desired file location Picture Example

Note: This is my way of the process. There are indeed different/better workflows while doing this. Folder organisation is up to you. Also this is not a tutorial on how to use Sketchup (Youtube has all those answers.) Please have and use common computer knowledge otherwise you're gonna have a bad time ;). Alot of trial and error on top of that.. Repeat trial and error.

Basic written step by step

1. Create or open a model in SketchUp MAKE 2017

2. Set your Geo Location for the model (file/Geo location/add location)

3. Make sure the model has no colors, just textures.

4. Export the model as a .DAE(collada) file (file/Export/3D Model/ Collada)

5. Open the .DAE file in ModelConverterX

6. Next is to edit and convert textures:

Click Material Editor, Textures tab, now click resize to the power of 2;

Next click Drawcalls Tab, Predict Drawcalls, Minimize Drawcalls;

Go back to Textures tab, right click each texture and remove Alpha, then click Prefix all with model name;

Finally save textures as BMP.

7. Export Object as AF2 TGI format

Tutorial was made in hopes to better everybody in the Aerofly community. Please feel free to provide any additional information.

Special thanks to Kloot and Rodeo for the information.

Next step:

Tutorial: How To Create 3D Model Night Textures

Good luck!

• Thanks, that´s exactly what I was looking for. So the Geo Location is hardcoded into the model before it is converted? I´ll see if that works out well, some buildings and structures need to be placed very exactly, elevation might also be a problem with high definition meshes to avoid floating buildings. In FSX/Prepar3d there was a nice tool called Instant Scenery that let you place your model directly within the simulator and then compiled a .bgl file that you could place into your scenery library. Worked like a charm, but unfortunately it´s no longer available for the latest version of the simulator. If someone could build a tool like that for Aerofly it would make things so much easier.

Thanks again,

Fabian

• So the Geo Location is hardcoded into the model before it is converted?

I can tell you in .dae format, using geo location keeps the model in the correct orientation of the specific location you choose. Just as long as you make your Longitude Latitude position in .TSC file the same as your center axis position in Sketchup. There was also a method of exporting the model from Sketchup as a .KMZ file which I believe makes it hardcoded into model, but to be honest I never really tested that out yet. As far as a map editor that would let you create a map like that in game, that would be the cats meow for Aerofly!

• à ZoSochile, bonjour,

super didacticiel exactement ce que je recherchais depuis longtemps ...

SketchUp Make 2017 me convient parfaitement, je trouve facilement facile à comprendre ... j'ai achevé un bâtiment simple pour essai et votre aide m'a permis de faire.

Mais je suis séché! j'ai mon fichier .tgi et les textures en .bmp, le tout sans message d'erreur, parfait.

mais maintenant, que faire pour afficher dans AFS2?

j'ai un fichier de FSCloudPort en .tsc qui m'affiche une quinzaine de bâtiments, Runway, Tower ... comment y incorporer mon bâtiment en remplacement d'un existant, j'ai repéré son numéro dans le .tsc

Je n'ai trouvé aucune aide pour faire cela.

Si vous pouviez me guider un peu ... merci par avance.

Cordialement

• Hello Dauphin,

I'm glad to see you are attempting to generate 3d models. It can become a dangerously addicting hobby :)

* Your TGI file you sent me is unnecessary to look at. Also you should not edit your TGI file.

1. First, I suspect you might have an issue with your TSC format? It looks a bit unorganized with different spacing etc. Meaning that Aerofly might have trouble reading the TSC.

Try using a fresh separate TSC file only for your custom 3D Model. This will help you stay organized while learning at first.

Here is new TSC you should use. Model TSC Test.zip

Example of a clean and organized TSC:

2. You mentioned that you have a TGI file along with BMP textures.

This means you need to now convert them with the IPAC's content converter. This will generate the TMB and TTX files for the model.

Example:

Video Reference Timestamp

3. Edit the Output Folder (To do this Right Click "content_converter_config" and rename desired location )

Example: I named mine " 3D Model Construction "

After you have converted TGI and BMP. The files are now converted to a TMB and TTX format.

5. Next locate converted TMB and TTX files in " 3D Model Construction " folder.

Rename TMB file "object_obj" to desired model name.

Example:

Video Reference Timestamp

6. Finally your new TSC. Model TSC Test.zip and TMB / TTX files should be moved and located to C:\Users\Jake\Documents\Aerofly FS 2\scenery\places

Example:

7. I pretty much just provided the exact same steps in the video. Hopefully the text and picture examples help.

Again, I believe your issue might be in your TSC file that you provided me. Edit and try the TSC I provided.

I suspect our language barrier might cause some issues. So hopefully Google Translate helps ;)

If you are not successful. Please group and gather all your files and convert them into a ZIP file. This way I can better see the issue or problem.

• Bonjour jake,

super votre aide très détaillée, je pense que ça va aller mieux, ... j'ai hâte!

Quand au texte traduit Google, c'est ok très correct. J'ai appris à corriger à la suite.

--------------------------------------

Je suis déçu, avancé très courte ... je suis arrêté au point "2" ... avec le message de CMD joint qui en plus s'affiche anormalement!

je crois comprendre qu'il devrait être déjà présent dans mon répertoire un fichier "content-convertisseur_config" ...! avec qu'elle extension et d'où vient-il ? je ne comprend pas. Aucune aide dans aucun wiki.

La procédure me semble assez facile mais ... au moindre doute c'est le feu rouge !

SVP, je suis en attente, plus aucune hypothèse à tenter pour avancer.

une +

Michel Petit

• Bonjour Michel,

In order for the Content_converter to work, you must have the IPAC's SDK kit installed. SDK KIT DOWNLOAD LINK

Perhaps this is why your log is showing an error. I would suspect.

Also, it appears that your 3D model you've selected has many BMP textures.

I would recommend optimizing and reducing the amount of textures.

Example:

In this case, I increased the Maximum Texture Size to 4096x4096, which allows for your textures to combine into one texture.

Notice: I go from 2 textures, reducing to 1 texture.

Next, I Removed Alphas just to make sure, since Aerofly Content Converter cannot convert Alpha Channels properly.

This method will help your 3D Model convert more efficiently.

Again, give this a try, and let me know how it went.

• Salut Jake

j'ai avancé et trouvé mes erreurs ... fichiers .tmc et .tsc non modifiés mais ... convertisseur de contenu se lance bien ... fenêtre CMD noir s'ouvre et se ferme de suite, impossible de lire si il y a des messages d'erreurs ...!

et dans le dossier de sortie "_AFS2_Pompiers_LFKB" ... rien! ... il n'a pas édité de .log pour comprendre où serait le problème.

Le nombre de textures .bmp ne semble pas être un problème puisque j'en ai 10 alors que mon fichier de FSCloudPort est en 29 et fonctionne.

Je soupçonne avant toutes les erreurs dans mes fichiers "pompiers_lfkb.tmc" et "content_converter_config.tsc" (joints en .txt).

Ce serait sympathique de regarder, je suis très près de conclure mais ... encore un petit effort ... je commence à fatiguer.

Vous m'aviez dit de ne pas éditer le fichier "pompiers_lfkb.tgi", je suppose que les données qu'il contient sont exploitées par le convertisseur.

en attente, merci pour votre aide.

Michel