Let's make a Carbon Cub for AFS2 - 2019

• KaI,

Those tundra tires are enough to get me excited. Thanks for the post.

Regards,

Ray

• KaI,

Those tundra tires are enough to get me excited. Thanks for the post.

Regards,

Ray

kai503  Jetjockey10 ... cannot eat, drink a beer, or sleep anymore....obessed like a fool by the little absolute dream bird for backcountry flying... dreaming every night to see this little jewel suddenly appear in AF2 fleet :P.... Please please please... tundra version, amphibian version and retractable ski/wheels version ( I would like in real life land with the HB-YOU (see the pic ) on Switzerland Glaciers :love::love:). The CC will be the holy grail for me 8o:D. Keep rocking the good job !

Thank you so much !!!

• ...and I can soon not sleep anymore cause I have a guilty conscience that it doesn't go forward fast enough.. :sleeping: :/ Well, only almost 8o

I can say right away, it will not go terribly fast forward, as I'm workwise pretty busy (and the Bücker should also get ready). But I do every day at least a bit. I'll try to show something once per week again.

Kai

• ...and I can soon not sleep anymore cause I have a guilty conscience that it doesn't go forward fast enough.. :sleeping: :/ Well, only almost 8o

I can say right away, it will not go terribly fast forward, as I'm workwise pretty busy (and the Bücker should also get ready). But I do every day at least a bit. I'll try to show something once per week again.

Kai

I think that is all anyone here should expect. Thanks.

Ray

• Any update about the carbon cub?

I have been doing the wing struts meanwhile, but don't have any renders now.

I would love to continue, cause I'm so up for some basic 3d modelling at the moment. But the Arrow has now priority number one until she's in beta. As soon as she's out I'll have some time for the freeware projects again, meaning finishing the Bücker and continuing the Cub.

Kai

• I have been doing the wing struts meanwhile, but don't have any renders now.

I would love to continue, cause I'm so up for some basic 3d modelling at the moment. But the Arrow has now priority number one until she's in beta. As soon as she's out I'll have some time for the freeware projects again, meaning finishing the Bücker and continuing the Cub.

Kai

I can help if you need with 3D modeling. It'll be sketchup, faster without texture but I can apply texture too. Like if you need that cockpit panel, pretty easy to do. I need to know to what level of details/polygon, but it looks like there is essentially no limit for close up objects or airplane exterior.

I want to learn airplane design anyway, so it's all good, even programming the cockpit functioning, or learning how to modify airplane files (tmd is it?). Time available is my most precious limit (like most of us) but I may have some time this year.

• I can help if you need with 3D modeling. It'll be sketchup, faster without texture but I can apply texture too. Like if you need that cockpit panel, pretty easy to do. I need to know to what level of details/polygon, but it looks like there is essentially no limit for close up objects or airplane exterior.

I want to learn airplane design anyway, so it's all good, even programming the cockpit functioning, or learning how to modify airplane files (tmd is it?). Time available is my most precious limit (like most of us) but I may have some time this year.

Thanks for your kind offer. I would certainly be happy about any help.

The only problem is the import of sketchup models into Max. I have imported some warehouse models and the vertex count was always crazy. One model had 5000 vertexies and after cleaning up 400 were left. I was very fast coming to the point that I used the warehouse model only as a templete and modelled the object from ground up again.

But I don't know if the problem is the export/import or the way the models are done. Maybe we could give it a try and you send me one of your models and I see how it behaves in Max? Can you export it as 3ds? I think, it should be the most reliable format.

Kai

• Wow that is strange, in my experience sketchup (done properly) creates less vertices than let's say fusion 360 as it really creates less hidden vertices on the flat faces.

In the warehouse you can get just anything, that's a given, from overly simple to overly complex for a given shape.

You can try my fire trucks at flightsim.org, each are in the 1000 vertices I believe, but they're certainly not detailed enough for what I see around in cockpits and on the cub so far.

Here is some plane fuse piece (not quite the right scale but close) to see what you can make of it.

Sketchup 5600 edges, 3500 faces, quite detailed surface so no need for more I should say.

You should have a sketchup file, a collada file, and a DXF file, the DXF export may not have worked though. I tried STEP it didn't work.

• Hi,

Sorry for the late answer.

I was able to import the dae file. Unfortunately, with the same result. All together I have 8680 faces. Every poly has an inside poly, but when you say 3500, then there must be something more too much.

Anyway, we could give it at least a try. Let me know, if you like to model for example the panel. But don't do the mapping, it's certainly getting lost with the dae file.

Btw. the polycount still okay for an internal part which you can see from nearby. For an external part it would be pretty high. The only exception were I use more polies are the canopy frame and upper part of the cowling, because there you see right away the lower polycount.

The Bücker as an example (the tailwheels has actually much too much polies)

Kai

• No worries, nothing is "late" even if you'd answered in 2 weeks. Things take the time they take.

Interesting. So first the 3500 faces is from Sketchup info. And they are quad mostly, so if your transformation makes triangles, that right there must increase significantly the count (but not more than double, so there is still more going on).

That piece I could simplify a few places and reduce maybe a few hundred or 1000 but with considerable manual work.

So to clarify you want me to create the inside panel, but no texture correct? For the instruments, you want the needles for example (very likely), and other graphics and text be in 3D?

FYI dae files export texture if they exist.

Also I'm assuming the panel you want is this one, I'll need one dimension to size it correctly (diameter of a gauge, or length between two points, etc..), could you do that?

Also do you want the toggle switches and gauges to be separate objects, or all together (neither is more difficult):

12702-carbon-cub-panel-006-jh-jpg

• Official Post

Everything that moves independent of the panel has to be a separate object. That includes the needles, switches, buttons, levers, knobs, wheels, balance ball, engine hour drums, altimeter pressure setting back face and potentially circuit breakers. Displays of different electrical sources should also be separate, e.g. the large display, the COM and XPDR, the battery voltage indicator and also the L+R ignition LEDs

• Also I'm assuming the panel you want is this one, I'll need one dimension to size it correctly (diameter of a gauge, or length between two points, etc..), could you do that?

Hi,

Yes, let's go ahead with that panel. I think, this one should do the trick:

I think, Jan was saying already everything you need to get started. If you could please name the parts right away in CamelCase. So something like (Just to take an example) LeftWing, RightCylinderArm.

Thanks a lot! :)

Cheers,

Kai

• I know it's not much but here is WIP. We have a key to start it, and breakers and switches to power up stuff.

Some needles are made, but I had to spend time sourcing the original instruments as the pict wasn't detailed enough to give me a sense of the 3D buttons and knobs and various other things. the bubble and vial of the Turn Coordinator are made too (do you guys need a point at the center of the vial curve to rotate the ball in it?)

I now have all pictures of all the instruments, so now is the time to speak if you want different instruments before I start on them

In the mean time I'm busy creating trucks and boats for the scenery guys :)

I could use picture of the other switches, the one that look like either rotating or pulling switches (red, blue, etc..) I couldn't find much to my liking.

• Im not too too happy with my cluttered panel design, there should be a couple of designs in this thread that looked a bit more organized. Maybe we should work with a different glass cockpit device, e.g. a GNS 530 like in the just flight aircraft. It is not as pretty but it is smaller in size for the panel.