Vulkan Option CTD

• My version of Aerofly FS2 is the Steam Beta update

Whenever I've tried using the Vulkan rendering option the result has been the same... a CTD after a short while of flying. I've been meaning to report this to you and give you the TM log in case it helps you find a fix. Open AL version works fine and gives very few problems on my machine.

Matt

• I need for you to check a few things here and to try a test for us.

First,

make sure that you have the latest video card drivers downloaded DIRECTLY from the NVidia site. I need you to delete your main.mcf file located in your documents\Aerofly FS 2 root folder, this will reset your graphics settings.

On your 960 GPU you may need to reduce graphics settings a bit but for this test please set the graphics to ULTRA.

Remove all user-created sceneries from your documents folder and set the graphics renderer to vulkan. Choose a default location in the Ca scenery and choose the Cessna. Start and report your results.

IPACS Development Team Member

I'm just a cook, I don't own the restaurant.
    On behalf of Torsten, Marc, and the rest of the IPACS team, we would all like to thank you for your continued support.

Regards,

Jeff

• The crash in your case might be related to running out of memory on your GPU. We have not tested our Vulkan rendering engine extensively in this case. Therefor if you use Vulkan and fly in Orbx NL region or if you have very high settings, you will likely exceed your GPU memory.

• Ok NVIDIA driver 418.91 installed. main.mcf deleted. All Scenery in document folder removed. Vulkan Option set with Ultra settings and High Quality anti aliasing option. Cessna selected at Catalina Island... CTD even before successful loading of flight. TM log attached.

Matt

• OK then I can confidently say to you that your 960 is running out of memory. It's suggested to only use OGL

On behalf of Torsten, Marc, and the rest of the IPACS team, we would all like to thank you for your continued support.

Regards,

Jeff

• Just FYI I have a 970 gTx and vulkan runs perfectly. In all sceneries (I have orbx insbruck, and new York,) So probably 970 is the miminum you should have. Love aeroflyfs 2 so much, amazing how smooth it runs in dense sceneries with vulkan and VR. On my 4 year old I5 computer. Thanks ipacs. No other simm comes close.

The worst day of flying still beats the best day of real work.

• Spoke to soon 😁 even the 970 runs out of memory but only in orbx NL True earth, its fine in the less dense areas but as soon as you get close to Amsterdam or fly around a bit in rotterdam, the card runs out of memory. Time for an upgrade I guess.

The worst day of flying still beats the best day of real work.

• My 2 GB GTX950 would eventually crash Vulkan with a misty JFK 31R approach in the Dash 8 with every navaid and the HUD working. The Jungmeister and R-22 very quickly crash in Vulkan in clear weather and at any location even with only a modest medium-high graphics mix.

With OGL and ultra (zero trees) FS2 graphics (both Vulkan and OGL were run with a 60 fps graphics card set-up software target) my FS2 is 100% bullet proof, nothing can crash it.

• Ich weiss nicht, ob das interessiert: Ich habe die aktuelle Beta auf Steam und mal heute wieder Vulkan in der Rift getestet. Ich hatte einen komischen Fehler, der mal neu war: Immer wenn ich vorwärts schaute, flackerten die Konturen schwarz in der Ferne - aber nur auf dem linken Auge! Blickte ich beim fliegen zur Seite aus dem Fenster, war das flackern weg. Immer nur: Linkes Auge, von Sachen, die auf einen zukamen. Grafiktreiber sind relativ aktuell. 1080er GTX.

3,9 Ghz, 1080 GTX, 32 GB RAM, Oculus Rift CV1, HOTAS and Flight Rudder Pedals, Win7 Pro, 3ds max

• I'm think i'm experiencing the same problem. Whilst travelling I'm running on a Dell notebook with a GTX 960M graphics card with latest driver installed. Vulkan runs well initially, but then crashes after approximately 1 minute; even just sitting on the runway. I hope there is a solution for this as it seems to run much better than Open GL in the short time I get to test.

• The 960 isn't going to have enough horsepower for vulkan. It will run out of memory in heavy cultivation scenes.

Regards,

Jeff

• Oh ok, and never will do? The same thing happens sitting on the runway in area 51 with zero cultivation.

I don't understand as I'm now seeing better performance, much smoother head tracking from other Sims on the same pc.

• I noticed this problem started in ? early February and I have had odd graphics effects since that time in Ogl or VULKAN. The CTD thing caught my eye as even in Ogl I often get a Windows desktop image when exiting the FS2 main menu and FS2 needs to have the FS2 desktop icon clicked to revive, usually where it left off as if the 'ctd' thing had not happened. My F12 screen capture has not worked since, even after a steam update.

Has anyone else got this and is there a fix?

416.34 from October is my current nvidea graphics driver and I'm on steam beta.