13 Reasons you should learn to fly a tailwheel

• As an old, very old, retired flight instructor this article brought back lots of memories. Even if you may not necessarily be interested in the details or subject matter, the airplane photos are worth your time. We now have many of them flying in AFS2, and more will be coming in the near future. 8o

As a flight simulator pilot, you may not even be familiar with some of these flying techniques. The more you know, the more enjoyable your flying will be.

https://www.boldmethod.com/blog/lists/201…ly-a-tailwheel/

Regards,

Ray

• Exactly.

Unfortunately I haven't found yet a simulator with a realistic ground handling.

Cheers

Antoine

Config : i7 6900K - 20MB currently set at 3.20GHz, Cooling Noctua NH-U14S, Motherboard ASUS Rampage V Extreme U3.1, RAM HyperX Savage Black Edition 16GB DDR4 3000 MHz, Graphic Card Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 8GB, Power supply Corsair RM Series 850W, Windows 10 64 bit.

• Exactly.

Unfortunately I haven't found yet a simulator with a realistic ground handling.

Cheers

Antoine

In this one, the ground feels the same as the water, so not much to be learned. :)

Ray

• It pays to keep back pressure on the stick when the tail is on the ground. Perhaps when seated comfortably using the PC sim the lack of physical posture, vibration, bumps and rumble acts against our nosing over apprehension especially when opening the throttle. Of course a reference cloud texture or side pictures need strict monitoring to keep on top of yaw.

I missed my point, FS2 taildraggers hold their direction on take-off better if back pressure is held on until the airflow past the rudder becomes effective.

Edited once, last by Overloaded (March 7, 2019 at 2:56 PM).

• I kinda hate taildraggers......

Devons rig

Intel Core i5-13600K - Core i5 13th Gen 14-Core (6P+8E) @ 5.5Ghz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 32GB RAM DDR5 6000 / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070Ti GAMING OC 12G / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 6x Samsung SSD/NVME's various sizes / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 ATX Motherboard DDR5

• So do I. But I am happy with the posted link because I plan to start loving taildraggers in Q2 2019. ;)

Any particular taildragger you planning for falling in love with next quarter? :/8|:huh:

Ray

• Any particular taildragger you planning for falling in love with next quarter? :/8|:huh:

Ray

Think he's talking about DeadStick Sim.

Devons rig

Intel Core i5-13600K - Core i5 13th Gen 14-Core (6P+8E) @ 5.5Ghz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 32GB RAM DDR5 6000 / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070Ti GAMING OC 12G / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 6x Samsung SSD/NVME's various sizes / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 ATX Motherboard DDR5

• I loved the Decathlon, did my aerobatics training in it back in the 90's.

Hardest thing to master was the taxi :)

A fun airplane for sure. Used to teach acrobatics in a local Citabria. Most folks don't know that Citabria is airbatic spelled backwards and the Decathlon is the big brother of the Citabria.

Regards,

Ray

Think he's talking about DeadStick Sim.

duh? :SX/?(

• duh? :SX/?(

New sim coming out on Steam. If I say more, I'll probably get Duh-leted! :/

Devons rig

• Any particular taildragger you planning for falling in love with next quarter? :/8|:huh:

Ray

Let me try this again. :P

Jeroen,

Is there any special taildragger that catches your fancy at Deadstick?

Regards,

Ray

New sim coming out on Steam. If I say more, I'll probably get Duh-leted! :/

Shhh.

With various technical issues now behind us, we plan to improve development progress visibility by scheduling bimonthly live streams, the first of which will be at 4pm GMT on the 14th of March 2019. Details of where you can watch these will be provided closer to the time.

This is why I keep pushing for those tundra tires and more tail draggers. The tail draggers are beginning to arrive, the tundra tires are just around the corner. I have a rough and tuff short runway in the South Florida DLC that I am practicing back country flying with the new Krzysk tail wheelers. (Sugar Loaf Shores)

I look at Deadstick as a possible month long vacation each year from AFS2 or 3 while I go flying in the back country of Alaska. I am not getting any younger.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

btw. I am working on a pre-Alpha review of the Bush Pilot Sim. Did you know that it will not use any aerial images at all. Everything is built one item at a time.

Regards,

Ray

• Taildragger are the choice number one to fly. ^^

Wish for Aerofly FS 2/4:

- Flightpath recording on hard drive and replay in sim from different view points

- Smoke for aerobatic planes

- Multiplayer or at least watching other people flying sitting on ground or inside tower

• Any word on the outside sourced Ju 52/3M, a bit big for tail dragger bush flying? I’d like FS2 pay aircraft rather than more and more scenery.

I know it has been "in work" as an Aerosoft project for several years now and was announced more than a year ago that it would be an Aerofly FS2 addon. As soon as we started asking questions about it, they locked the thread and has been "quiet" about it ever since.

Regards,

Ray

• I know it has been "in work" as an Aerosoft project for several years now and was announced more than a year ago that it would be an Aerofly FS2 addon. As soon as we started asking questions about it, they locked the thread and has been "quiet" about it ever since.

Regards,

Ray

...once again...LM Prepar..d Men In Black in their vintage cadillac, for sure 8)8)8) :D:D:D:D