13 Reasons you should learn to fly a tailwheel

• Let me try this again. :P

Jeroen,

Is there any special taildragger that catches your fancy at Deadstick?

No, because initially there only will be one plane and it will be a taildragger without brand because they don't have licenses because damage and wear and tear is a fundamental part of the experience. ;) So in order to enjoy that sim you have to start enjoying taildraggers. ;)

• This thread got me started on taildraggers. I thought my landings were a piece of art until I tried my first taildragger landing. ;) Thank god some helpful soul wrote https://wikihow.com/Land-a-Taildragger

Doing landing practices over and over again, I noticed that VR really helps to get your distances right (let alone peeking around the nose of your plane while taxiing).

I found a nice article about the virtues of taildragging: https://airfactsjournal.com/2013/08/why-yo…-a-taildragger/

• As an old, very old, retired flight instructor this article brought back lots of memories. Even if you may not necessarily be interested in the details or subject matter, the airplane photos are worth your time. We now have many of them flying in AFS2, and more will be coming in the near future. 8o

As a flight simulator pilot, you may not even be familiar with some of these flying techniques. The more you know, the more enjoyable your flying will be.

https://www.boldmethod.com/blog/lists/201…ly-a-tailwheel/

Regards,

Ray

Thanks for sharing that Ray.

Got my PPL in a Skyhawk, twenty years ago. Flew various tricycle gear planes, but didn't fly a tailwheel until roughly five years ago, when I took basic aerobatic lessons and got my TW endorsement in a Super Decathlon. Boy, what a fun little airplane that is! A real blast to fly.

#5 (Wheel landings) and #10 (Slips) are probably my favorite thing.

No Cessna or Piper that I've ever flown were as enjoyable to slip as this thing. I immediately fell in love with flying this airplane, simply due to how much fun it is. A true Stick & Rudder machine, which really woke up my Skyhawk feet ^^

#5- After struggling with them on the first few attempts (with a few bounces and go-arounds/PIO), once I got the hang of it, that instantly became my favorite method of coming in. Hot and fast, lol.

Three pointers never gave me much of a problem and I got pretty good at them rather quickly.

Wheel landings are a blast.

My piloting skills definitely improved overall.

Redtail

KFRG, KTEB, KEWR, KLGA

~Straighten up and fly right~

DESKTOP: i7-7700k @5GHz (water cooled), Nvidia GTX 1080Ti FTW3, 32GB DDR4, 500GB SSD, Oculus Rift CV1, Windows 10 Home 64 bit,

TM HOTAS Warthog (large spring removed), Saitek PRO Flight Combat Rudder Pedals, YOKO yoke!

Laptop (gaming): Acer Predator Helios 500- Intel Core i7-8750H @4.1GHz, Nvidia GTX 1070, 32GB DDR4, 256GB SSD/1TB HDD.

Gametrix JetSeat FSE (Flight Sim Edition)-USB Vibrating pad. Nextlevel V3 Motion Platform / Sim cockpit.

Edited 3 times, last by Redtail (March 23, 2019 at 7:25 AM).