2nd Generation Oculus Rift

• Rift S

https://uploadvr.com/oculus-rift-s-official/

• Price is good - $399
    • No sensor, uses inside out tracking - that's a plus. Less mess, keeps cost down, perfectly good for flight sim*
    • No built in headphones - hmm, I like the all in one. You can plug in headphones though
    • LCD not OLED - hmmm
    • 2560 x 1440 - 40% better than Rift, but worse than Odyssey (2880 x 1600)
    • 3 subpixels instead of 2 - sharper
    • 80hz not 90hz - if 80hz is good enough this reduces GPU load

The new HP looks like a better option.

* Also now that all mainstream suppliers (Vive, Oculus, Windows MR) have built in cameras I hope that hand tracking becomes standard so we can tune those autopilots with our hands. We will have the issue of course that when we grab our physical yokes/joysticks then in-game it might look like we're waving our hands in the air or pressing random buttons but I'm working on a solution to that :)

• Is VoiceAttack an option for tuning the Autopilot? Might be like giving instructions to a co-pilot in the right seat.

I've been a little daunted by the setup of voice attack. Has anyone done a comprehensive configuration of it with config files that could be shared?

• I've been a little daunted by the setup of voice attack. Has anyone done a comprehensive configuration of it with config files that could be shared?

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/jysygrs9t…Profile+v07.zip

Rift S

https://uploadvr.com/oculus-rift-s-official/

• Price is good - $399
    • No sensor, uses inside out tracking - that's a plus. Less mess, keeps cost down, perfectly good for flight sim*
    • No built in headphones - hmm, I like the all in one. You can plug in headphones though
    • LCD not OLED - hmmm
    • 2560 x 1440 - 40% better than Rift, but worse than Odyssey (2880 x 1600)
    • 3 subpixels instead of 2 - sharper
    • 80hz not 90hz - if 80hz is good enough this reduces GPU load

The new HP looks like a better option.

* Also now that all mainstream suppliers (Vive, Oculus, Windows MR) have built in cameras I hope that hand tracking becomes standard so we can tune those autopilots with our hands. We will have the issue of course that when we grab our physical yokes/joysticks then in-game it might look like we're waving our hands in the air or pressing random buttons but I'm working on a solution to that :)

I suspect the lower refresh rate is to compensate slightly for the Higher resolution and keep the frame rates manageable

Devons rig

Intel Core i5-13600K - Core i5 13th Gen 14-Core (6P+8E) @ 5.5Ghz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 32GB RAM DDR5 6000 / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070Ti GAMING OC 12G / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 6x Samsung SSD/NVME's various sizes / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 ATX Motherboard DDR5