Pipercub released for public download

• Hi all,

Thank you so much for that lovely Cub!

EDIT : my bad, had to read first the manual before posting

Congratulations for the great work, I love this aircraft.

Cheers

Antoine

Config : i7 6900K - 20MB currently set at 3.20GHz, Cooling Noctua NH-U14S, Motherboard ASUS Rampage V Extreme U3.1, RAM HyperX Savage Black Edition 16GB DDR4 3000 MHz, Graphic Card Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 8GB, Power supply Corsair RM Series 850W, Windows 10 64 bit.

Edited once, last by Trespassers (March 9, 2020 at 11:34 AM).

• You are probably thinking about the J-3 Cub. Yes, rear seat solo only, but

not this model, PA-11. You need to read the text. This model you can solo from the front seat. The reason this was designed was to give better visibility. The way it was done was the engine was mounted slightly lower, the fuel tank was moved from between the engine and the firewall to the root of the left wing, the seats were moved aft slightly, and the windscreen was slanted more. Overall this shifted the CG so single pilot could fly from the front seat.

They also added for the first time the smooth engine cowling to cover up the jugs sticking out on both side, like the J-3.

It is possible to fly solo from the rear seat if you like but, it is certainly not necessary in the PA-11.

Regards,

Ray

• You need to read the text.

Definitely! (RTFM rules as usual)

Sorry for missing that, thanks for pointing it to me...

Cheers

Antoine

Config : i7 6900K - 20MB currently set at 3.20GHz, Cooling Noctua NH-U14S, Motherboard ASUS Rampage V Extreme U3.1, RAM HyperX Savage Black Edition 16GB DDR4 3000 MHz, Graphic Card Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 8GB, Power supply Corsair RM Series 850W, Windows 10 64 bit.

• Hi guys,

Nearly 1 year now the since Cub Special was released for free for AFS2 and I felt the urge to write a big THANK YOU again for that lovely aircraft.

Now that I can spend a little bit more time flying in AFS2, I must say she's a real pleasure to fly low and slow with open windows and go discovering sceneries - it just makes our playground even bigger and more enjoyable.

I have 2 remarks :

1) I've not been able to switch on the COM radio. There's a switch on top that seem to work with the mouse wheel, but the radio in my Cub keeps shut off.

Note : I have Saitek Switch panels and there the COM/NAV all keep dark too. I tried all the switches from the panel (couldn't find any other switch in the aircraft) but to no avail. Maybe there's a link anyway.

2) there's a flaw in the pilots feet animation with rudder pedals. Rudder pedals animation seems correct, but the feet don't match, instead the feet motion corresponds to symmetrical toe braking when applying left rudder.

Not a big issue, just odd looking when everything otherwise looks so perfect.

Anyway, thank you for that little gem!

2637-14512c6c.jpg

Cheers

Antoine

Edited once, last by Trespassers (March 9, 2020 at 11:39 AM).

• Hello Antoine,

Mr. K. has been absent from the forums since last October. AFAIK there have not been any updates to any of his aircraft for AFS2 since then. Jan might take a look at the radio glitch for you, or someone one else in the forums.

I don't remember ever flying a Cub with a working radio. We either flew without comms or used a portable hand held radio if flying into a controlled airport. But, then I don't remember flying a Cub Special either.

I agree, this makes a great low and slow airplane for AFS2.

• I don't remember ever flying a Cub with a working radio. We either flew without comms or used a portable hand held radio if flying into a controlled airport. But, then I don't remember flying a Cub Special either.

I logged a few hours in an authentic 1944 L4 - the L-Bird version of Cub, the only WWII warbird I could afford flying. We had a fix-mounted radio with 2 headsets (I could leave mine in the car with all the paper stuff you don't need aboard the L4).

Since there's no alternator you had to remember plugging the radio battery to the charger when tiding up the bird for the night in her hangar.

If nobody forgot to plug the charger for the night, then I could almost hear in the headset my instructor sitting in front of me and shouting in his microphone. With some explicit gestures from him I could even understand - or should I say interpret - what he meant.

I never ventured in a controlled airspace with the L4.

Not that I need the COM radio in AFS2, there's nobody to talk to. I was just wondering if anybody managed to switch it on ;)

Cheers

Antoine