Just Flights Duchess Ready for the Aerofly Skies!

• Question to IPACS: Will it be possible to buy the Duchess 76 on Steam:?:

Usually, all Just Flight planes are offered at Simmarket a few days after release, if this would be an option for you.

Best, Michael

Intel i7-6700K 4.0 GHz / Asus MAXIMUS VIII RANGER / Kingston 32 GB DDR4 / Samsung SSD M.2 500 GB + Samsung SSD 1 TB + Intel SSD 500 GB (AeroflyFS2) + WD HD 6 TB / EVGA GTX 1080Ti 11 GB / LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440 / HP Reverb / Win 10/64

• Figured I would throw in a few panel shots:

Devons rig

Intel Core i5-13600K - Core i5 13th Gen 14-Core (6P+8E) @ 5.5Ghz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 32GB RAM DDR5 6000 / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070Ti GAMING OC 12G / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 6x Samsung SSD/NVME's various sizes / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 ATX Motherboard DDR5

• Okay, I changed my schedule just to buy and try the plane.

1. How do you set cold and dark...? There is no config tool and no ingame menu to get this done? PLEASE tell me there is a (promised) cold and dark option... Positioning your plane on a white parking spot should do the trick (although it doesn't always work for me).

2. Where is the tutorial flight that Jetjockey10 talked about? I can't see it in the manuals, there is no tutorial file or anything, nothing in the game...? The tutorial has been removed because it wasn't updated yet for AFS2: it was the old FSX/P3D/XP tutorial, doing a flight over scenery that's not available in AFS2. Good news: Just Flight is working on a new AFS2 specific tutorial.

3. TrackIR stopped working as soon as I installed this plane. My view only moves left and right and that's it. Can't look up or down or left or right. Might be a coincidence but it's an odd coincidence... Something to figure out anyway. It still works in other games and in the TrackIR app. Weird. Can any Duchess owner with TrackIR check if TrackIR still works...? Turns out this was related to the beta channel: turning it off solved the problem. Pure coincidence.

4. As I read elsewhere the GPS is indeed simply the AFS2 moving map. None of the GPS related buttons work.

5. The initial load of AFS2 seems so take even longer than before with this plane installed...

6. Sometimes when I click on something I see a huge green circle... what's that?!

Didn't yet fly it because I can't fly without TrackIR... All in all I spend half an hour with this plane and didn't get anywhere yet. Not the start I was hoping for.

No fuel flow gauges?

No, but this cockpit is an exact copy of a real world aircraft so I suppose that one doesn't have fuel flow gauges either. There is a full fuel system though, according to the manual. (Still haven't flown an inch so I don't know about actual fuel flow...)

i have buyed aerofly fs2 buy steam, is the aircraft steam compatible or must i wait for a steam release ?

I also bought AFS2 on Steam: the plane seems to be compatible. (Would be odd if they only made it compatible with the dvd version. ;) )

Edited 8 times, last by J van E (April 18, 2019 at 10:01 AM).

• TrackIR works fine for me with this plane, but i cannot find either a way to set cold & dark.

The first time is used the plane it was on cold & dark, but now it loads always ready to fly. ?(

• **** I see JustFlight changed the information somewhere along the line. Where it used to read ''Aircraft configuration system that will allow you to choose between 'cold & dark' or 'ready for take-off" the AFS2 version site now says ''A procedurally correct aircraft with cold & dark starts''...! Does this mean that in order to start cold and dark you have to shut things off yourself like with some of the other default planes...? :cursing: Damn. If that is so I feel seriously cheated. :cursing:

Bummer.... I tried everything but TrackIR works in every game apart from AFS2. I don't know how that suddenly happened... I removed all preferences and still it doesn't work... :cursing:

And it was never cold and dark for me. I will be really <word not allowed> if that option isn't there. I already looked if you can get a refund but you can't so at this moment I feel like I wasted 35 euro's. Not happy. :cursing:

J van E,

Start FS2 and start at any airport with a white Icon airplane (parking or start). The Duchess will be cold and dark. Should you open FS2 with the plane on the runway numbers (green icon airplane) it will be ready to fly.

• Ok, i found what's happening with cold & dark:

If you place the plane in a runway header, it's loaded in the "takeoff" state.

Instead, placing it at any other location in the airport, the plane is loaded on cold & dark.

Not all airports have spots outside of the runway headers. Just find one of them and try.

Investigating the plane files (at C:\Users\<username>\Documents\Aerofly FS 2\aircraft\Duchess76), there are three .tmd files: "duchess76_clean.tmd", "duchess76_landing.tmd" and "duchess76_takeoff.tmd". I assume a different file is loaded depending where you place the plane.

I guess you would overwritte "duchess76_takeoff.tmd" with "duchess76_clean.tmd" (make a backup before), to force the dark & cold state in all conditions.

Not a configuration tool, but until they improve it, i'm happy with that.

• J van E,

Start FS2 and start at any airport with a white Icon airplane (parking or start). The Duchess will be cold and dark. Should you open FS2 with the plane on the runway numbers (green icon airplane) it will be ready to fly.

I was trying to type that but suddenly the tread was unavailable. :P

Devons rig

Intel Core i5-13600K - Core i5 13th Gen 14-Core (6P+8E) @ 5.5Ghz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 32GB RAM DDR5 6000 / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070Ti GAMING OC 12G / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 6x Samsung SSD/NVME's various sizes / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 ATX Motherboard DDR5

• J van E,

Doesn't work. After throwing away ALL my prefs and starting from scratch again I had the plane cold and dark three times, on the runway (!), but after that it's running again all the time, no matter where I position it. I understand the trick (I used the same trick for my old Q400 cold and dark mod) but it doesn't work on my PC. I will see what happens if I restart my entire PC (again).

EDIT

Moved my plane from TrueEarth EHAM to another white spot on a random default airport. No luck. Moved my plane to another white spot on another default airport. Yes! Cold and dark! Moved it back to EHAM, still cold and dark! :/ Could it be some white spots don't really work as white spots somehow...? I really don't know what's happening here... But at least I now can start cold and dark... Pity though that my time is up for today. Hopefully I can do some actual flying tomorrow.

Edited once, last by J van E (April 17, 2019 at 8:36 PM).

• I guess you would overwritte "duchess76_takeoff.tmd" with "duchess76_clean.tmd" (make a backup before), to force the dark & cold state in all conditions.

Or you know... just assign a button to reload the aircraft, that will place the Duchess on the runway with engines off as well. No need to change any files

• Or you know... just assign a button to reload the aircraft, that will place the Duchess on the runway with engines off as well. No need to change any files

I must be very stupid but I can't locate a reload option on the controls menu... Where is it?

And does anyone know already where that tutorial is?

• I must be very stupid but I can't locate a reload option on the controls menu... Where is it?

Yes, I think here: https://www.aerofly.com/dokuwiki/doku.php/simulator:mcf:

Developer option

Backup the main.mcf before manually editing it!

Almost at the very bottom of the main.mcf there is an option to enable the developer mode for Aerofly FS 2. Setting the Enabled flag to true will add developer cameras to the Aerofly FS 2 and enable other developer features.

Code
            <[settings_developer][developer_settings][]            <[bool][Enabled][true]>        >

Probably one of the most useful feature of the developer mode is the possibility to quickly reload an aircraft while the simulator is running. Using this feature during aircraft development allows you to quickly modify the TMD description file and immediately see the results. You can assign a custom key in the controller menu.

Bye, Michael

Tschüss, Michael (🍎🚁)

Configurations:

- MacBook Pro (16", 2021); Chip: Apple M1 Max; actual macOS || Thrustmaster TCA AIRBUS EDITION: 1x Sidestick, 2x Quadrant, 2x Quadrant Add-On || Pro-Flight-Trainer PUMA X

- iPad (12,9", 4th Generation, RAM: 6 GB); actual iOS || nimbus steelseries

• No fuel flow gauges?

Many twins do not have direct reading fuel flow gauges. Some have add on flight computers that have FF read outs.

The plan here is to use the MP and RPM settings with the provided Graphs or Charts to read the expected FF.

Regards,

Ray

• I must be very stupid but I can't locate a reload option on the controls menu... Where is it?

Last time I checked it worked without the developer option,

but then again I always have that enabled....

It should be in the control settings in the tab for the simulation.

• I've yet to read up and work out how to do cold and dark but one of the first things I noticed was the sound - it feels more immersive. Is it stereo or a pseudo stereo? I like it. Unfortunately the engine noise didn't seem to vary much though. In terms of small details I think we've been spoiled by IPACS - the dash looks a little bit flat compared to the quality of 3d texture on say the R22 or the Bucker. I'm talking about small stuff like screw heads. I did like the overall worn feel though and am looking forward to reading up on everything that's modelled and flying it in a more study sim way.

I also had a crash possibly related to the core 49MB program update (beta) that I've just received at the same time. When I flew in Orbx NL within a minute it bombed out on me. Who wants to see the full tm.log? Ipacs or JF?

990.03-tmimage: fatal vulkan crash 'tmrenderer_vulkan::gl_SubmitToQueue -> failed to submit draw command buffer!':

990.03-tmmodule: ================================================================================

990.03-tmimage: fatal vulkan crash 'tmrenderer_vulkan::gl_SwapBuffer -> failed to submit draw command buffer!

990.03-tmimage: ':

As for cold'n'dark I was sure that IPACS were going to enable this via a tickbox option on the aircraft selector the way they enabled Profi/basic for the R22

• Does this crash happen with one of our default aircraft or purely with the JF aircraft?

If that happens with our aircraft please create a new thread for this with your tm.log attached for us, thanks

I’ll do more tests. Any comment on the sound? Is it just their audio files or is there some different technology going on here?