Just Flights Duchess Ready for the Aerofly Skies!

• BTW Where is the buzz about this release? Hardly anyone is posting about it here, no one is posting about it on AVSIM, and the Just Flight forum seems to be quite dead... Pity.

Hello,

i give up to tell other people in other (german) forums, most of them are very hardliners for P3D or Xplane .

I try since 2 years to tell how good is Aerofly FS 2 .... specially in VR in the other Sim- Forums.

They always answers: that the system is not deep enought, they want to "press 30 min 1000 things before start in the cockpit ", and so on, BLABLABLA

and i think mostly without really experinces with FS2 , most of them never tried AFS2 I thought ! ! !

And the really bad thing : also Administrators !! and " little children - moderators" of some "forums" dont want have info`s

about AF FS2 in theyre forums, one of them deleted my account ! because I think i write (to much? ) about AFFS2.

I can only imagine one reason why that is ...-> they are sponsored by the others Sims.

So I try enought of this :) get enough beating ...my life is to short for waste my time with such idiots and I decide to publish
    nothing of my work for P3D or Xplane ... only FS2 . EDXE was nice to make ... I have 2 others in pipeline ... but now its weather and time for fly in real :)

mfg, Jens ... Flight-Sim.org

Mein Home-Cockpit ... My Simulator Hardware

MSI PRO Z690-P DDR4 --- SI INTEL Core i7-13700F 2.1GHz LGA1700 Tray --- Palit RTX4070 JetStream 12GB DDR6 --- 16GB DDR4 PC4400 --- SSD Patriot 1TB M.2 Viper VP4300 --- Pimax Crystal

Alles fliegt irgendwie,
    fragt sich nur wielange

Edited 4 times, last by higgy (April 19, 2019 at 3:23 PM).

• Another odd thing: I can't change the squawk while the transponder is OFF or in STBY mode. That should be possible, right?

And I still haven't managed to complete a flight because I got terrible tearing (and low fps) once more so I turned vsync off which caused the sim to reload everything so also the Duchess... and I ended up 2000 ft high with a cold and dark plane...?!? That's not supposed to happen, is it?

Edited 2 times, last by J van E (April 19, 2019 at 4:44 PM).

• Another odd thing: I can't set the transponder in OFF or STBY mode. That should be possible, right?

:?: Seems to work for me...... Just rotate the knob?

Devons rig

Intel Core i5-13600K - Core i5 13th Gen 14-Core (6P+8E) @ 5.5Ghz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 32GB RAM DDR5 6000 / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070Ti GAMING OC 12G / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 6x Samsung SSD/NVME's various sizes / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 ATX Motherboard DDR5

• :?: Seems to work for me...... Just rotate the knob?

Won't work when the transponder is OFF or STBY. I am beginning to think something is wrong with my entire AFS2 install. Already uninstalled and reinstalled the Duchess. Will do an integrity check now.

• Won't work when the transponder is OFF or STBY. I am beginning to think something is wrong with my entire AFS2 install. Already uninstalled and reinstalled the Duchess. Will do an integrity check now.

Ok, I am confuzzled :/ At first I thought you meant you could not set the transponder to off or standby... Now I understand, you are trying to change transponder settings while its in off or standby. Is that even a thing?

Devons rig

Intel Core i5-13600K - Core i5 13th Gen 14-Core (6P+8E) @ 5.5Ghz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 32GB RAM DDR5 6000 / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070Ti GAMING OC 12G / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 6x Samsung SSD/NVME's various sizes / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 ATX Motherboard DDR5

• Is that even a thing?

It's not as it should be. ;) The transponder should be on standy at first on the ground but I have to switch it to ON to change it and then back to STBY again. Of course it doesn't stop the plane from flying but it's not as it should be. Even little errors or bugs are worth mentioning imho. I want a plane that's 'as real as it gets' and then every little thing matters.

BTW I edited my initial post because I indeed didn't put it very clear. ;)

Two more little bugs:

- the animation of the INSTR FLOOD and POST LIGHT don't work with the battery off: if you use the mousewheel on them the associated value does change though! So if you turn them all the way left (with the battery on) and then turn the battery off and then turn them all the way right, you will not see the animation, but after turning the batt on again you will see that actually have been turned right.

- the sound of the startes is on the far right and should be in front of you, like the light switches.

And a tip for the AP: as soon as you turn it on you are in ATT mode, even though that button doesn't light up, so your current heading and pitch are held! If you do not like the current pitch you can change it on the fly with the UP and DN PITCH rocker switch on the right of the AP! You can also use this to start a descent at a certain fpm: for instance when you are in ALT mode and want to descent, disable ALT mode, you will be in ATT mode again (although the light stays off) and then you can use the DN button to start the descent at (almost) any rate you want. Easy! ;)

All in all I am beginning to really like the plane... ;) I also enabled the developer mode in AFS2 so I can reload the plane to cold and dark whenever the sim itself doesn't do it. Nice. The plane has a lot of atmosphere and starting from cold and dark is easy but fun. Hopefully JF will iron out the little bugs/errors and finetune things like the mixture and engine sound.

• Not necessarily a bug. I don’t know of any lights on any airplane that work with the battery off. 🙃

Maybe it's because my native tongue isn't English but I am misunderstood quite often. ;) Of course the lights don't work. It's the ANIMATION of those two knobs that do not work with the battery off and that is, of course, odd and not realistic. ;) With the battery off you can use the scrollwheel to turn those two knobs but you won't see anything happening: they DO turn but you don't SEE it. With the battery on you DO see the animation. Obviously you should be able to see the ANIMATION regardless of the battery setting. ;)

So again, as an example: set the battery on and turn the two knobs all the way to the left. Turn the battery off and use the mousewheel to turn the knobs all the way to the right. You won't see anything happening but just keep scrolling for a few seconds. Now turn on the battery again and try to turn them to the right once more... You won't be able to do so because they are already turned right! You just didn't see the animation with the batt off. You will be able to turn them left again though.

Hope I am clear enough now LOL

BTW My plane pulls to the right all the time whenever I fly it by hand. I have to turn the aileron trim to 10 to 10 (as on a clock) in order to fly a bit straight ahead. I thought a plane with two of these engines (which turn in opposing ways) would have this much pull the the right?

Another tip: I find the Duchess to be very sensitive and twitchy: it's hard to fly manually imho. Now I always found the controls in AFS2 to be a bit too sensitive, specially the elevator during landings. Simple solution: turn the sensitivity from the default middle all the way to the left. I just did this and landing the Duchess was a breeze now! :) (I already had my deadzone in the middle.) It's like having a different sim! 8o

Setting the controls to your liking really helps to appreciate this sim more. ;) Defaults aren't for everyone.

Edited once, last by J van E (April 20, 2019 at 7:15 PM).

• HDG and NAV are two different functions. The HDG red flag is removed when the Heading function is engaged. The NAV red flag is removed when the Navigation function is engaged. Read this until you understand that one will not affect the other.

There is no bug, it is a failure to understand how the red flags work and what is required for them to be hidden on the HSI. 😲

Looks like you don't understand how the red flags are working IRL. The red heading flag never appears if the gyro is (correctly) powered!

Red flags are always failure flags, hence the heading flag should only appear if the gyro malfunctions.

• You are correct. The red flag is an indication of the failure of the gyro slave system, IRL. I have no doubt that they will correct this with the few other minor issues.

Update:

I loaded up the Duchess tonight while preparing the upload file for my first Duchess repaint (Currently posted at Flight-Sim.org) and tested the Heading flag, and found that it actually works properly now. I recall it not working properly during the Beta test builds, however they must have corrected it before the final build was released. Please see below for the result of some basic testing that I ran...

Step 1 Normal State. AC Power applied, Nav 1 tuned to a local VOR with good signal. Gyros set to slave. NO FLAGS

Step 2 NAVCOM1 CB pulled. Nav signal lost. NAV Flag displayed

Step 3 NavCom1 CB reset. GYRO CB pulled. Gyros unpowered HDG Flag displayed

Step 4 Return to normal. All breakers reset, NAV 1 set to a active local VOR with good signal. No flags

All Breakers set, but NAV 1 set to an invalid frequency, so no VOR signal fromNavCom1. NAV flag is displayed

Now, HERE is one issue that does need to be rectified, and I will do all I can to see to it that it does get corrected...

All CBs are set, but AC Alternator off, No AC Power. Gyros set to FREE so the heading is drifting way off heading. Should have HDG flag but do not.

I hope that this helps :0)

Edited once, last by GACSavannah: Further testing yielded results (April 24, 2019 at 6:20 AM).

• Now, HERE is one issue that does need to be rectified, and I will do all I can to see to it that it does get corrected...

Concerning corrections: my various reported errors/bugs have been send forward to the developer, according to someone from JF on the JF forum. Let's hope the developer finds some time to correct the various things soon! (I also send JF my findings using their ticket system but didn't get a reply from them yet.)

• It is a very long time since I flew a twin, there is an instrument panel control to drive the HSI if necessary to allign its slaving with the compass heading. That might be it under the turn coordinator, perhaps it works and perhaps it affects the hdg flag? I don’t remember much about it.

I must get my third ! Aerofly JF Duchess.

• Concerning corrections: my various reported errors/bugs have been send forward to the developer, according to someone from JF on the JF forum. Let's hope the developer finds some time to correct the various things soon! (I also send JF my findings using their ticket system but didn't get a reply from them yet.)

As a Beta tester for the Duchess, I can tell you that they JustFlight team was VERY responsive during the review process, and made many many requested changes, so keep your fingers crossed!

It is a very long time since I flew a twin, there is an instrument panel control to drive the HSI if necessary to allign its slaving with the compass heading. That might be it under the turn coordinator, perhaps it works and perhaps it affects the hdg flag? I don’t remember much about it.

I must get my third ! Aerofly JF Duchess.

Yes, I used that control to disable the gyro slave and allow the compass rose to intentionally precess, that is how I determined that the flag was not working, under just that ( and so far only that) scenario.

• As a Beta tester for the Duchess, I can tell you that they JustFlight team was VERY responsive during the review process, and made many many requested changes, so keep your fingers crossed!

Good to know! I do wonder though how some of the error/bugs got through to the final release... Like that sound loop bug...! :huh:;) Anyway, I like the plane a lot so I look forward to what's coming!

• I do wonder though how some of the error/bugs got through to the final release... Like that sound loop bug...!

Well, here is how "I" see it.

They could have fixed every tiny thing...but it would take a long long time. And some things, such as the sound tick, do not show for everyone ( I can not hear it on my installation, with my computer for example, although clearly others can). I can say with all honesty that they made a lot of effort, and I am pretty certain ( as Beta testers we only hear an outside message, not the inside discussions) that they did delay release at least once when we came up with more things to address. I can also say that what was released was SUBSTANTIALLY better than the first Beta test. This is not to criticize the initial Beta, this is to point out the time and energy that they put into making it as good as possible before public release.

I can also say that having been a part of flight sims since the early '90s, and been a 'tweaker' of all of them, I can say that AeroFly is by far the most challenging to work with, and I am sure that with this being JustFlight's first Aerofly release, they may still be trying to work out exactly how to handle some of the more minor items, that were easy in the FS franchise, but are much more challenging with Aerofly.

Plus, remember that AeroFly is still a relative infant compared to the competition, and there are still some features that no matter how bad you want to fix them, there is still currently no fix available.

Bottom line...in my book, as a first release on a new platform, JustFlight did an AWESOME job!!! And I, for one, am 'loving' this bird.

Me too.

Ray

• Well, here is how "I" see it.

They could have fixed every tiny thing...but it would take a long long time. And some things, such as the sound tick, do not show for everyone ( I can not hear it on my installation, with my computer for example, although clearly others can). I can say with all honesty that they made a lot of effort, and I am pretty certain ( as Beta testers we only hear an outside message, not the inside discussions) that they did delay release at least once when we came up with more things to address. I can also say that what was released was SUBSTANTIALLY better than the first Beta test. This is not to criticize the initial Beta, this is to point out the time and energy that they put into making it as good as possible before public release.

I can also say that having been a part of flight sims since the early '90s, and been a 'tweaker' of all of them, I can say that AeroFly is by far the most challenging to work with, and I am sure that with this being JustFlight's first Aerofly release, they may still be trying to work out exactly how to handle some of the more minor items, that were easy in the FS franchise, but are much more challenging with Aerofly.

Plus, remember that AeroFly is still a relative infant compared to the competition, and there are still some features that no matter how bad you want to fix them, there is still currently no fix available.

Bottom line...in my book, as a first release on a new platform, JustFlight did an AWESOME job!!! And I, for one, am 'loving' this bird.

Fair enough. ;) And I am loving this bird too btw!

I am surprised though to hear the tick doesn't show up for everyone...!?! Very odd! I wonder how that's possible: must have to do with some specific sound hardware...? Or Windows settings? I stopped using dedicated soundcards ages ago and simply use the motherboard's stuff. Really surprised to hear things like that depend on your hardware or maybe settings...!

• Well, here is how "I" see it.

Fair enough. ;) And I am loving this bird too btw!

I am surprised though to hear the tick doesn't show up for everyone...!?! Very odd! I wonder how that's possible: must have to do with some specific sound hardware...? Or Windows settings? I stopped using dedicated soundcards ages ago and simply use the motherboard's stuff. Really surprised to hear things like that depend on your hardware or maybe settings...!

I hear the sound loop bug, too, through the headphones of my rift, though it is very faint and barely audible. If I hadn't known about it I probably wouldn't have noticed it.

Another thing to consider. IMHO Just Flight should be applauded for even considering to port their aircraft to a totally different platform where the only thing they can use from their previous releases probably is the 3D model, while the systems and flight dynamics have to be built from scratch. Aerofly is still a tiny niche within another small niche of PC Software, and if the developers just hear complaints about their first release they'll probably lose interest in developing for the platform at all. Constructive criticism is most welcome, but comments like "how did this get through beta" are not really helping. The Xplane community just scared off Milviz, one of the most acclaimed P3D aircraft developers, from porting their more complex aircraft to Xplane with the their toxic behavior. Let's not make the same mistake, okay?

• I hear the sound loop bug, too, through the headphones of my rift, though it is very faint and barely audible. If I hadn't known about it I probably wouldn't have noticed it.

Hm, I hear a VERY loud tick every 10 seconds... Strange.

if the developers just hear complaints about their first release they'll probably lose interest in developing for the platform at

I understand what you're saying but that doesn't mean we shouldn't report obvious errors or bugs. Reporting those HELPS to make the aircraft better and I am sure everyone, including JF, wants that. No need to sugarcoat things out of fear a dev might lose interest. But hey, that's me. ;) As some of you know I seldom sugarcoat things. ;)

• Hm, I hear a VERY loud tick every 10 seconds... Strange.

I understand what you're saying but that doesn't mean we shouldn't report obvious errors or bugs. Reporting those HELPS to make the aircraft better and I am sure everyone, including JF, wants that. No need to sugarcoat things out of fear a dev might lose interest. But hey, that's me. ;) As some of you know I seldom sugarcoat things. ;)

Just like I said constructive criticism is good, maybe just phrase it a little differently.