Accidental tearing

• I noticed that after flying for a while I sometimes get a terrible tearing in AFS2. And that's with vsync on! It seems to happen more often around dense places like Rotterdam in TE NL. Fps still is 60 but things look terrible when looking around and somehow sluggish. I am using Vulkan. Any idea what's going on here?

I said fps was still 60 but I just had the same tearing above TE NL in the Duchess and checked fps: it was around 45...! That's worrying! So I decided to turn vsync off and... fps was at >100.

Is there a problem maybe with vsync and Vulkan...?

• In my memory, I've never had much luck with vsync and Aerofly. The best thing has always been to leave it at Unlimited, or at 120

Devons rig

Intel Core i5-13600K - Core i5 13th Gen 14-Core (6P+8E) @ 5.5Ghz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 32GB RAM DDR5 6000 / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070Ti GAMING OC 12G / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 6x Samsung SSD/NVME's various sizes / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 ATX Motherboard DDR5

• May be but than I have tearing ALL the time...

Make sure that you don't have VSync turned on in your video card's control panel. The best thing to do here is to set VSync to 120 in Aerofly if running standard 2D mode or turn off VSync completely if in VR mode.

Also, what FPS are you seeing? Depending on your PC's performance you may need to scale down some graphics settings.

IPACS Development Team Member

I'm just a cook, I don't own the restaurant.
    On behalf of Torsten, Marc, and the rest of the IPACS team, we would all like to thank you for your continued support.

Regards,

Jeff

• The nVidia CP is set to use the program's vsync setting: should I turn it completely off in the CP...? Tried it with vsync turned off in the CP and 120 in the sim: still tearing.

I am running AFS2 in 2D mode and 120 gives tearing just as unlimited. FPS when looking to Rotterdam (while flying the Duchess) can drop to around 135, when I look ahead towards the sea it's close to 200. Seems there is room enough for performance and scaling down settings doesn't seem necessary. Do lower settings have an effect on tearing...?

• Do lower settings have an effect on tearing...?

No, only if your GPU can't handle it. If you already have over 100FPS then performance wise you are good. Aerofly is built with performance in mind so you can crank up the graphics without much impact.

Can you please define 'tearing' that you are seeing? I'm not seeing tearing at all on any of my testing PC's under any settring.

IPACS Development Team Member

I'm just a cook, I don't own the restaurant.
    On behalf of Torsten, Marc, and the rest of the IPACS team, we would all like to thank you for your continued support.

Regards,

Jeff

• Can you please define 'tearing' that you are seeing? I'm not seeing tearing at all on any of my testing PC's under any settring.

When I look around things don't align horizontally, usually somewhere near the middle of the screen. As if the lower part of the screen is being moved a few millemeters to the side. This also gives a sluggish feel to the experience and it is tiresome for the eyes.

This:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Screen_tearing

I had tearing in game back when I plugged my 60hz HDTV in my PC. When I plugged it into a 144hz monitor no problemo. You using a tv J Van E??

No, a 60Hz Samsung PC monitor.

• I know I shouldn't see any tearing but I do over dense scenery... Fps also drops to something like 45 and I get tearing. As soon as I disable vsync and continue the flight the fps is way above 100. So something is wrong somewhere: my computer can hold the frames steady over 60 but something is causing problems... Very odd.

Here is a screenshot taken at the moment the tearing suddenly begins (the tearing itself can't be seen; I've posted the screenshot for the information at the bottom of it). I've been flying for some 30 minutes without problems with vsync on and fps steady at 60 and suddenly the fps drops and I get terrible tearing. Maybe the information at the bottom of the screenshot can help someone to figure out what is causing this? When I fly here without vsync fps remains way above 100! I also attached the log: maybe someone from IPACS can see something in it. In this shot fps was 49 but it even dropped to the thirties briefly. It does depend on where you look though.

I really don't know what's going on here... I did exclude everything AFS2 related from Defender (which did seem to help at first) and I even reinstalled my entire PC...! Still I get this. The area is very dense, I know, but it didn't give me problems up until recently. I never had this tearing before. ;(

As I said I reinstalled my entire PC so everything is up to date, also the (manually downloaded) nVidia driver!

EDIT

There seems to be a relation to how long I fly. What I described above happened after a flight from Lelystad to Rotterdam and then flying from Eindhoven to Amsterdam crossing Rotterdam. Things went wrong near the second time I flew over Rotterdam. After restarting my PC I started with that second flight and this time I only had one or two fps drops near Rotterdam and hardly any tearing. It's as if my system gets overloaded after flying for longer than 30 minutes...?

tm.log

• I made several flights from Breda to Amsterdam passing over Rotterdam and Den Haag, then coming back to Breda always gives me fps drop and tearing after a long time. Look at your graphics card memory usage (I use nvidia inspector) and you will notice it's at 100% or not far.

Solution: restart the sim.

Best, Sylvain

• I made several flights from Breda to Amsterdam passing over Rotterdam and Den Haag, then coming back to Breda always gives me fps drop and tearing after a long time. Look at your graphics card memory usage (I use nvidia inspector) and you will notice it's at 100% or not far.

Solution: restart the sim.

Okay, thanks, good to know I am not the only one. Seems things are building up in the memory then. I also thought so because starting a flight right above Rotterdam isn't a problem at all. Pity I can't use 120 or unlimited fps because then I'd be perfectly fine...