IS XTAL the king of VR headsets for Flight and Racing Simulators?

• Yet another contender.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Devons rig

Intel Core i5-13600K - Core i5 13th Gen 14-Core (6P+8E) @ 5.5Ghz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 32GB RAM DDR5 6000 / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070Ti GAMING OC 12G / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 6x Samsung SSD/NVME's various sizes / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 ATX Motherboard DDR5

Edited once, last by HiFlyer (April 21, 2019 at 10:06 PM).

• Wow, very impressive and expensive indeed.. Stunning through the lens comparisons. The fact that XTAL is using the same panels as Pimax but utilizing and using less zoom magnification allows for a significant clarity boost. Imagine later down the road what XTAL could do with next gen high resolution panels? I think a lot of companies will figure out these better ways within a few years. Given graphics card manage to keep getting stronger, along with Fixed Foveated Rendering. He did mention because no significant Super sampling was needed, most games ran better. Of course we all know Aerofly most likely ran the best. ;)

• This looks fantastic, but at 5000 Euros plus the cost no doubt of a new GFX card it's not likely to happen for me unless I have a funny buying moment :) (I'll give it a week haha)

I'm still running FS2 with an Oculus Rift. Is there anything out there under 1000 Euros thats going to give an appreciable improvement to the screen door effect?

What I've seen of the Pimax products so far suggests not yet, with the 5k's having similar screen door to the Rift, and the 8k substituting blurring for screen door. The 8k + if and when it appears might be worthwhile, but is there anything around here and now?

• I think people with the Odyssey+ think the SDE is much less than the Rift but text won't be sharper.

Anti SDE has made me not want to go back. Granted clarity isn't as great to 5k+ but it blends everything together better Imo. From Swevivers image comparisons, the Xtal looks like it's doing next gen clarity with the same current panel hardware and that is something to be excited about. Now if a headset could implement all those fancy technologies into one (4k panel, FFR, Anti SDE, 200 FOV) then there would be no need for real life anymore :D The day will come.

• HiFlyer April 21, 2019 at 10:06 PM

Changed the title of the thread from “IS XTAL is the king of VR headsets for Flight and Racing Simulators?” to “IS XTAL the king of VR headsets for Flight and Racing Simulators?”.
  • I’m very curious about this idea that the xtal needs no supersampling. We’re all desperately hoping for foveated rendering but i suspect its still years away - if we had no need to supersample we’d get lots more out of our GPUs.

It is exciting to think that refinement of optics and other non brute force techniques will bring much needed quality in the near term. Valve index?

I was flying the Duchess over NL with my Odyssey last night and got a bit frustrated by the small sweet spot of the Ody and also the jitter if i move my head left or right - rotation is smooth but left right isn’t.

• I’m very curious about this idea that the xtal needs no supersampling. We’re all desperately hoping for foveated rendering but i suspect its still years away - if we had no need to supersample we’d get lots more out of our GPUs.

It is exciting to think that refinement of optics and other non brute force techniques will bring much needed quality in the near term. Valve index?

I was flying the Duchess over NL with my Odyssey last night and got a bit frustrated by the small sweet spot of the Ody and also the jitter if i move my head left or right - rotation is smooth but left right isn’t.

My solution was to throw a 2080ti at the problem !

Devons rig

Intel Core i5-13600K - Core i5 13th Gen 14-Core (6P+8E) @ 5.5Ghz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 32GB RAM DDR5 6000 / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070Ti GAMING OC 12G / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 6x Samsung SSD/NVME's various sizes / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 ATX Motherboard DDR5

• 2018/12/08

StarVR Developer Program on Hold Until Further Notice

To our valued community of developers and partners,

We regret to inform you that the StarVR Developer Program has been put on hold until further notice.

We believe it is the most responsible course of action to put the StarVR Developer Program on hold while our company is in the process of going private, which may entail some changes to our operations.

Your interest and support for StarVR is greatly appreciated. We understand that many of you were looking forward to purchasing the StarVR One headset, and apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

Sincerely yours,

The StarVR Team