Duchess default view tweak!

• Imho the default zoom of AFS2 (in 2D so on a screen) is way too far out so one of the first things I always do after installing AFS2 is to change the zoom to 0.675. With that zoom the world looks great and so does the cockpit.

I have the impression Just Flight didn't think of that and changed the default view to make things look nicer and did all that with the default zoom. Now in my case that gives me a default view in the Duchess that positions me way too close to the panel. I can hardly see anything apart from the top row gauges and when I look straight back I see I am not even close to the chair (like in the C172). So... I edited the duchess76.tmd!

In my case I changed this:

Code
                <[camera_head][CameraPilot][]
                    <[string8][Body][Fuselage]>
                    <[tmvector3d][R0][ 0.10 0.24 0.77 ]>

to this:

Code
                <[camera_head][CameraPilot][]
                    <[string8][Body][Fuselage]>
                    <[tmvector3d][R0][ -0.10 0.24 0.77 ]>

So I only typed a - in front of that 0.10. Now things look more or less like in the C172: a lot nicer and user friendly! ;) In your case you may need to change the number to something else but if you don't like the default Duchess view compared to the other (default) planes view, you now know how to change it once and for good. ;)

This was my default Duchess view:

And now it looks like this:

• It would be excellent if aerofly retained a memory of the users seating preference and settings.

It's something that's been on my wish list for a long time.

It doesn't seem like it would be that hard to do?

Devons rig

Intel Core i5-13600K - Core i5 13th Gen 14-Core (6P+8E) @ 5.5Ghz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 32GB RAM DDR5 6000 / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070Ti GAMING OC 12G / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 6x Samsung SSD/NVME's various sizes / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 ATX Motherboard DDR5

• It would be excellent if aerofly retained a memory of the users seating preference and settings.

It's something that's been on my wish list for a long time.

It doesn't seem like it would be that hard to do?

Agreed. And along with that I'd like to see a precise zoom option. Whenever you zoom now you have no idea how to reset it to your prefered zoom (which in my case is a totally different zoom than the default one!). Which is why I set my zoom in the main.mcf and never use the zoom in the sim. And yes, setting your position and remembering it would be great too. BTW As it is all the move options don't work with TrackIR... which is another reason why I edit the various tmd files to my liking.

BTW also: enabling the developer option really helps to set your own view in the tmd because with the then available Reload option you can change the tmd and reload the plane while the sim is still running! You can set your prefered (and saved) view this way in a minute or so!

To enable developer mode, open the main.mcf (with something like Notepad) and change this:

Code
            <[settings_developer][developer_settings][]
                <[bool][Enabled][false]>

to this:

Code
            <[settings_developer][developer_settings][]
                <[bool][Enabled][true]>

so false to true. The controls menu in AFS2 will have a Reload option then: assign a key to it and with that key your plane will be reloaded (to default settings) in a second.

• Imho the default zoom of AFS2 (in 2D so on a screen) is way too far out so one of the first things I always do after installing AFS2 is to change the zoom to 0.675. With that zoom the world looks great and so does the cockpit.

I have the impression Just Flight didn't think of that and changed the default view to make things look nicer and did all that with the default zoom. Now in my case that gives me a default view in the Duchess that positions me way too close to the panel. I can hardly see anything apart from the top row gauges and when I look straight back I see I am not even close to the chair (like in the C172). So... I edited the duchess76.tmd!

Nice change. I like this better also.

Ray