AeroScenery made scenery loading in patches

• Thank you very much for the solution! I created a lot of sceneries in Europe (parts of Germany, Italy and France) with AeroScenery (always: Grid Square Selection Size: 9, Image Source: Bing, Zoom Level 17, AFS Levels 9, 11, 12, 13 and 14) without problems. Then came up the same probs with loading in patches you reported.

I changed the decimal format and put the Shrink TMC grid squares from default to 0.01 degrees. This seems to be the solution. :)

The most remarkable think is, that the processing time for one Grid reduced from approx. 9-10 hours to 2,5 hours with the same output quality! OMG, I wasted so much time with the wrong settings. Have you noticed too such a significant reduction in processing time?

I put "Write Raw Files" to "No", but with the setting "Write Images with Mask" I'm not certain. What does it mean? When do I need masks?

• I put "Write Raw Files" to "No", but with the setting "Write Images with Mask" I'm not certain. What does it mean? When do I need masks?

Awesome question - i was in this moment about to ask the same. I have it ON at the moment

X-Plane 12.x | DCS 2.5.7 | War Thunder | Aerofly FS4

Win11-x64 | Lenovo Legion T7 34LMZ5 | Intel i7-10700K @3.6GHz | Kingston FuryX RGB 32GB DDR4 PC3733 | 6TB SSD Samsung 850 Pro | 3TB M2 PCI 4x | Gigabyte RTX 3070 Ti Vision OC | TM Hotas Warthog | Saitek Combat Pedals | Reverb G2 V2 | Lenovo Legion Y25g-30 360hz

• The most remarkable think is, that the processing time for one Grid reduced from approx. 9-10 hours to 2,5 hours with the same output quality! OMG, I wasted so much time with the wrong settings. Have you noticed too such a significant reduction in processing time?

I didn't make an exact timing but it definitely takes less time. Moreover, the number of files created is considerably smaller.

Kind regards, Michael

Intel i7-6700K 4.0 GHz / Asus MAXIMUS VIII RANGER / Kingston 32 GB DDR4 / Samsung SSD M.2 500 GB + Samsung SSD 1 TB + Intel SSD 500 GB (AeroflyFS2) + WD HD 6 TB / EVGA GTX 1080Ti 11 GB / LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440 / HP Reverb / Win 10/64

• Level 14 are still 1000+ files

Level 9, 11,12,13 and 14 still give 1360 ttc files. Sometimes I have the feeling it take longer than 2.5 hrs

Win11-x64 | Lenovo Legion T7 34LMZ5 | Intel i7-10700K @3.6GHz | Kingston FuryX RGB 32GB DDR4 PC3733 | 6TB SSD Samsung 850 Pro | 3TB M2 PCI 4x | Gigabyte RTX 3070 Ti Vision OC | TM Hotas Warthog | Saitek Combat Pedals | Reverb G2 V2 | Lenovo Legion Y25g-30 360hz

• My test with the setting Shrink TMC grid squares by 0.01 degrees failed. I produced 7 grids with the before mentioned settings and all are loading in patches :(. But the processing time was much less. So I will keep this setting for future areas. ;)

Currently my PC recreates the areas neighbouring to the incorrect grids with the 0.01 setting, although the old grids were free of errors. Maybe, neighbouring surfaces must have the same settings :/.

I will report.

• My test with the setting Shrink TMC grid squares by 0.01 degrees failed. I produced 7 grids with the before mentioned settings and all are loading in patches :(. But the processing time was much less. So I will keep this setting for future areas. ;)

Currently my PC recreates the areas neighbouring to the incorrect grids with the 0.01 setting, although the old grids were free of errors. Maybe, neighbouring surfaces must have the same settings :/.

I will report.

Level 9, 11,12,13 and 14 need to be created otherwise patch loading ;)

• Funny, because I did the whole dolomite, rhone alps, cote azure and I have no such patch loading once i realized to create the right AFS levels.

Settings is for me 0.01 too, since the beginning. never adjusted this.

• Here an intermediate result: I removed all "old" working grids with the default degrees settings and kept only the newly created grids with the 0.01 degrees settings. Those grids were loading in patches, when I had the other grids too. My new test flight was without loading in patches. :)

Maybe, I will have to recreate all grids with 0.01. =O

Level 9, 11,12,13 and 14 need to be created

Which Zoom Level do you select? Mine is 17.

• The "Water Mask" feature does not work in Bing and not that very well in Google so I suggest switch it to "NO"

You have to edit all the coastline using paint shop or I use the free Paint.Net anyway.

I suggest delete ALL the scenery that is corrupt and start again with say no more than about 6 tiles to download and or edit.

Good luck.

Michael.

Best wishes, Michael :)

• Interim report: I have now recreated my southern France almost completely (4 grids are still missing) with the setting 0.01. Even if I fly with 1.250 IAS over the area, the whole landscape is visible and there is no more loading in patches.

I am confident that this degree setting solved the problem. :) Thank you, IZOJUB! I made the experience that no grids with different settings can be placed next to each other. Therefore I will soon create my remaining areas (approx. 30 grids) in Germany and Italy. ||

• I only got 3 grids.

Will you share them with us? I can open a Ondrive folder with 200TB if you upload it there for us, the images folder ;)

• How long would this upload need with 3 Mbit? The total volume has approx. 35 GB. =O

I would be a big fan of sharing, but I have read somethere in the forum that Bing and Google don't allow it.

drhotwing1 wrote an 10/22/2018 in this forum:

Guys, make no mistake here, sharing orthos is illegal practice. In my line of work I work with quite a few lawyers, solicitors, and legal council and a while ago I seeked professional legal opinion on behalf of our company IPACS by a federal legal council and have proof that while obtaining and using ortho data for your own private use for a flight simulator is even questionable if using Bing, Google, and Virtual Earth they let it alone, but if you plan on making scenery with these tiles and then distribute them so someone else over the internet (via upload/download) it is considered unlawful theft and redistribution without permission through a public means.

This opinion is for American soil but the source of these tiles don't care where the individual downloading their files are from.

The safer source is USGS (NAIP) where they do allow for individuals to use and distribute their ortho tiles but do flag users that exceed a certain download size unless you have what they call a 'redistribution license'.

In having and obtaining this legal opinion, under no circumstance will we (IPACS) allow for the distribution/redistribution of any ortho tiles on our domain and with me as the holder of this opinion, any distribution that I find on any other website or domain other than ours I will have to report.