Overlay for autopilot etc when using controller

• Hi all,

Sorry if this is FAQ, but I couldn’t find any references to it anywhere.

When I use an external controller with Aerofly FS 2019 on my iPad Pro, the overlay with the buttons for the autopilot etc disappear.

How do I access that functionality when using an external controller? I’ve tried all the controller buttons etc (and in the process discovered those for the flaps etc!), but nothing seem to bring back the overlay.

Regards,

Mark Avey

• I use this workaround:

- First I select the aircraft, the take-off location and if necessary the navigation and then I start the flight without an external controller.

- If the simulation is running I start the external controller which then connects to the running simulation.

=> So I have both the external controller and the screen available for the inputs.

Unfortunately you have to do this with every new click on Start - but I like to have both parallel.

Bye, Michael

Tschüss, Michael (🍎🚁)

Configurations:

- MacBook Pro (16", 2021); Chip: Apple M1 Max; actual macOS || Thrustmaster TCA AIRBUS EDITION: 1x Sidestick, 2x Quadrant, 2x Quadrant Add-On || Pro-Flight-Trainer PUMA X

- iPad (12,9", 4th Generation, RAM: 6 GB); actual iOS || nimbus steelseries

• Saudações!

Eu gostaria de expressar minha opinião dizendo que para mim o mais legal é poder pilotar sem a ajuda do piloto automático, isso é claro, durante a aproximação e o pouso ... note que se você tem um conhecimento básico sobre pilotagem e aerodinâmica você saberá como controlar muito bem a atitude, velocidade e fará grandes pousos!

• Hi Michael,

But you just need that for the flaps, gear and possibly the throttle, right? I mean there would be no point in having a controller for elevator, rudder and aileron and then still have them on screen

I control with the controller the elevator, aileron, rudder, flaps, power, gear and view. The additional visible control elements on the screen do not bother me. It is important for me to be able to operate the copilot via the screen.

Bye, Michael

Tschüss, Michael (🍎🚁)

Configurations:

- MacBook Pro (16", 2021); Chip: Apple M1 Max; actual macOS || Thrustmaster TCA AIRBUS EDITION: 1x Sidestick, 2x Quadrant, 2x Quadrant Add-On || Pro-Flight-Trainer PUMA X

• The overlay for all flight controls is removed from view when you connect a controller as it would only clutter the view, the copilot interface and view menu should still be visible though, maybe you have them set to fade out?

I’ve been using the Nimbus controller with Aerofly FS 2019 on iPad Pro (2017, 12.9 inch) and on iPad Mini 5, and have noticed the following:

1.    As noted above, if the program is started after the controller is already turned on, the screen has no overlay – but not even for the copilot and view menus. So I can’t find any way to access the copilot or autopilot menus. Am I missing something?

2.    As also noted, if the controller is turned on only after the simulation begins, I get all of the overlays. An older note on the forum from September 2016 said that the autopilot can be activated with the ‘A’ button, and navigated with the cross button, but the ‘A’ button doesn’t do anything for me. It also says that “menu” or “Y” will active replay, but they don’t do anything either. I assume that this was for Aerofly FS – have these functions been removed in Aerofly FS 2019? If so, any way to map them to the controller?

Thanks for your help!

Rob

• Official Post

2.    As also noted, if the controller is turned on only after the simulation begins, I get all of the overlays. An older note on the forum from September 2016 said that the autopilot can be activated with the ‘A’ button, and navigated with the cross button, but the ‘A’ button doesn’t do anything for me. It also says that “menu” or “Y” will active replay, but they don’t do anything either.

These are referring to keyboard commands, which you don't have on the mobile version.

• Thanks, Jan – I appreciate your note, and I could be wrong, but I think the message I had found was in this Mobile subforum (see message titled “AF2 and nimbus steelseries controller for IOS”, started on September 5th, 2016), and it’s describing the buttons on the Nimbus. That’s why I wonder if these features were in a previous version of Aerofly FS mobile, and not in the 2019 version.

But I also want to note again the more serious problem that with the Nimbus controller on, there are no overlays present – not even for copilot – and without the copilot interface it’s impossible to access the Copilot or Autopilot functions. That’s a little different from what you mentioned above, so perhaps that is not the intended behavior.

Again, thank you for your quick response and for your help!

Best,

Rob

• How do you connect a controller? I don’t see a option in the controls menu.Note I don’t have a controller yet.

I only know the NIMBUS controller, which can be connected to the iPad, iPhone or PC via Bluetooth. After establishing the Bluetooth connection, the controller can be used immediately. On the iPad and iPhone there are no further setting options, on the PC there are.

Bye, Michael

Tschüss, Michael (🍎🚁)

Configurations:

• Thanks, Jan – I appreciate your note, and I could be wrong, but I think the message I had found was in this Mobile subforum (see message titled “AF2 and nimbus steelseries controller for IOS”, started on September 5th, 2016), and it’s describing the buttons on the Nimbus. That’s why I wonder if these features were in a previous version of Aerofly FS mobile, and not in the 2019 version.

But I also want to note again the more serious problem that with the Nimbus controller on, there are no overlays present – not even for copilot – and without the copilot interface it’s impossible to access the Copilot or Autopilot functions. That’s a little different from what you mentioned above, so perhaps that is not the intended behavior.

Again, thank you for your quick response and for your help!

Best,

Rob

Hi Rob,

Yep, that’s what I was getting at. With the Nimbus connected, there’s no way to access the autopilot settings etc as it’s all hidden.

Could this be added as an option in a future release? This really does detract from an otherwise almost perfect mobile flight simming rig. Last night I was flying FS 2019 on the iPad Pro, with the Nimbus controller and FSWidgets GMap on my iPhone and it was pretty damn cool, I must say. The only thing that spoilt it was the overlay disappearing when using the Nimbus...

• Today the new version "Aerofly FS 2020" was released in the Apple App Store. :)

Unfortunately the overlay buttons can only be seen in this version if no external controller (I use the Nimbus) is connected. Therefore it is still not possible to set the co-pilot officially with a controller.

@IPACS:

Is there any plan to change this so that external controller and co-pilot are not mutually exclusive?

Note:

In this article I have described a WorkAround, but without a WorkAround it would be better:

Overlay for autopilot etc when using controller

Tschüss, Michael (III)

Tschüss, Michael (🍎🚁)

Configurations: