Duchess 76 Repaint Loaded to Flight-Sim.com N76RM

• This sure is a classy looking repaint. But, it is so much more than a new repaint. Sure, it is an older airplane but, it is a new airplane to most of us here at AFS2. This one comes not only with a new ID on the fuselage and a totally unique paint scheme (I have never seen this on a Duchess before) it comes with a brand new interior. Yep, a cleaned up panel, shinny new engine and fuel gauges that look like the factory delivery - 40 years ago, and those new seats - wow. Plus another couple of dozen upgrades and cleanups.

I just love the smell of a new airplane and the look of bright and non-faded instruments. Although, not really new, but totally new and unique exterior colors and paint scheme, new panel with clean and refurbished instruments, and full new upholstery with matching colors. It doesn't get much better than this.

Thanks a million, GACSavannah.

Regards,

N76RM

• Wow, new seats and everything. Yes this is much more than a repaint. Its a full restoration. Maybe the repainters could go even further (I'm getting carried away now) and add a clipboard like this? Then IPACS could give us a quick and dirty way of rendering some text into there from a TXT file in the My Documents folder e.g. a file called CLIPBOARD.TXT - great for flight plan notes, personal checklists etc. This needn't be a substitute for the super duper electronic flight bag that IPACS have said they're looking into, but something simple that one or two planes could choose to include. Is it feasible Jet-Pack (IPACS) and admin ?

• Official Post

Wow, new seats and everything. Yes this is much more than a repaint. Its a full restoration. Maybe the repainters could go even further (I'm getting carried away now) and add a clipboard like this? Then IPACS could give us a quick and dirty way of rendering some text into there from a TXT file in the My Documents folder e.g. a file called CLIPBOARD.TXT - great for flight plan notes, personal checklists etc. This needn't be a substitute for the super duper electronic flight bag that IPACS have said they're looking into, but something simple that one or two planes could choose to include. Is it feasible Jet-Pack (IPACS) and admin ?

And how would this 2d overlay work in VR?

• And how would this 2d overlay work in VR?

Thats the whole point. Its what we need in VR. What do you see as the difficulties?

I don’t see it as an overlay. Its part of the aircraft, just requires dynamic rendering of txt to ttx on launch. Of course it would be nice if you could click it and it would move from copilot seat to somewhere else easier to read for the pilot and back again, but as-is wold be a good start.

• Official Post

Thats the whole point. Its what we need in VR. What do you see as the difficulties?

I don’t see it as an overlay. Its part of the aircraft, just requires dynamic rendering of txt to ttx on launch. Of course it would be nice if you could click it and it would move from copilot seat to somewhere else easier to read for the pilot and back again, but as-is wold be a good start.

We have to ask the question; Is this such a high demand and need for this? Just thinking about this a bit makes me ponder if anyone except maybe a couple of individuals even care or have a true need for this.

IPACS Development Team Member

I'm just a cook, I don't own the restaurant.
    On behalf of Torsten, Marc, and the rest of the IPACS team, we would all like to thank you for your continued support.

Regards,

Jeff

• I can only speak for myself but, the lack of being able to read notes (approach charts, frequencies and courses) in VR is why I quit flying VR. I like to make approaches and landings more than just flying around looking at clouds.

I guess it is a holdover from all those years of being required to have a physical Approach Plate on your knee when flying. The modern pilots use iPads now or built-in Garmin units. I use the fsWidgets maps in a side window flying 2d AFS2.

Spit40 - Maybe one of the upcoming updates to the Just Flight Duchess 76 will have something that can be adapted. 8o

Ray

• We have to ask the question; Is this such a high demand and need for this? Just thinking about this a bit makes me ponder if anyone except maybe a couple of individuals even care or have a true need for this.

It certainly would make it much easier than keep peeking out from under the rift to check my notes...

Edited once, last by Thuster (May 1, 2019 at 10:37 PM).

• If you could create a virtual clipboard that could display a selected .pdf file, then you could clip your pdf approach plate to the clipboard, and turn it into something truly useful when VR, as you would have access to the plate. Most of your online nav data providers such as fltplan.com provide the charts in pdf format.

• If you could create a virtual clipboard that could display a selected .pdf file, then you could clip your pdf approach plate to the clipboard, and turn it into something truly useful when VR, as you would have access to the plate. Most of your online nav data providers such as fltplan.com provide the charts in pdf format.

Exactly. :P

• I just love the smell of a new airplane and the look of bright and non-faded instruments. Although, not really new, but totally new and unique exterior colors and paint scheme, new panel with clean and refurbished instruments, and full new upholstery with matching colors. It doesn't get much better than this.

Thanks a million, GACSavannah.

Regards,

N76RM

I'm glad that you are enjoying her. I too love the smell and feel of a new plane. It funny, but just this afternoon at work I was having a discussion with some people about being around the new airplanes (and the old ones as well) and what a nice feeling it is to go out into the hangar and get into a new plane. There is just something about it, that never gets old or tiresome, and we all felt blessed to be able to do it. I personally actually prefer the older planes that have comeback to us, and been overhauled with new paint and new interior over the new ones. There is just something about the energy and the spirit that they develop, that the new ones just have not earned 'yet'.

Wishing you many many happy hours together with your new bird.

• I can only speak for myself but, the lack of being able to read notes (approach charts, frequencies and courses) in VR is why I quit flying VR. I like to make approaches and landings more than just flying around looking at clouds.

I guess it is a holdover from all those years of being required to have a physical Approach Plate on your knee when flying. The modern pilots use iPads now or built-in Garmin units. I use the fsWidgets maps in a side window flying 2d AFS2.

Spit40 - Maybe one of the upcoming updates to the Just Flight Duchess 76 will have something that can be adapted. 8o

Ray

I had not realised that you had quit VR Ray. However I did wonder, as I’m looking forward to this tutorial for the Duchess which features a fair bit of VOR navigation. I like this style of flying but perhaps other people have better memories than me as once I put the VR headset on I can’t remember all those radials and frequencies. Slipping the headset off to take a peek surely isn’t the kind of authenticity IPACS are aiming for. And yes I’ve tried OVR drop – very clumsy and awkward to use.

Am i missing something drhotwing1 (IPACS) ? I haven’t been simming for a fraction of the time other people have here. Am I doing it the wrong way or unlike everyone else? Is everyone else following the neon green sky frames?

I’ll keep my fingers crossed for this Duchess update.

• Not being able to easily check charts or flight plans etc. is one of the (minor) reasons I stopped using VR. Learning to fly a complicated plane for which you really need a manual/pdf is impossible for me in VR.

I often follow the line on the GPS (I absolutely hate the neon green sky frames) but also love to fly using VOR only and that's another thing that's a bit hard to do in VR right now.

You are not doing it the wrong way: there is no wrong way in flight simming. That's one of the great things of this hobby. ;)

• I still have my VR setup, I just choose not to use it. I switched from triple monitors to a single 34 IN curved Alienware screen and I use about 80% of the screen for AFS2 and the 6 - 8 inches on the left side is for fsWidgets maps and approach plates, forum, etc.

Ray

• We have to ask the question; Is this such a high demand and need for this? Just thinking about this a bit makes me ponder if anyone except maybe a couple of individuals even care or have a true need for this.

Hi Jeff,

I also fly exclusively in VR and I would be very happy if I had the possibility to have e.g. PDF's in the cockpit for approach charts, checklists, ICAO maps etc.. This would make it easier to train procedures in addition to the realistic flight feeling.

Regards,

Thomas