Control settings for different planes

• I just saw someone asking for a possibility to save the current sim state. Here is a related plea: Saving different aircraft controls configurations.

I alternatively use the C172 (most often), but also the A320, the B737, the R22, and others. The R22 has separate control settings, but how do you guys handle the other ones? The C172 requires Yoke and (Saitek) TPM, the A320 requires a sidestick - i.e. my (Thrustmaster) Joystick - plus Saitek Throttle Quadrant, the B737 requires Yoke and Throttle Quadrant. And so on.

At present, I saved several versions of both gc-map.mcf and main.mcf copying them over as needed which procedure could be refined using batch files. However, this isn't only nasty but error-prone, even more in case you make changes to the settings or IPACS decides to modify or add to the couple of control files.

Or is there any better way to handle this which I just didn't get yet?

Thanks and kind regards, Michael

Intel i7-6700K 4.0 GHz / Asus MAXIMUS VIII RANGER / Kingston 32 GB DDR4 / Samsung SSD M.2 500 GB + Samsung SSD 1 TB + Intel SSD 500 GB (AeroflyFS2) + WD HD 6 TB / EVGA GTX 1080Ti 11 GB / LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440 / HP Reverb / Win 10/64

• I use the on/off function in the settings menu of each individual joystick. Click on the image of a particular controller in the setting menu.

Regards,

Thomas

i7-14700KF @ 5.6 GHz, Geforce RTX 4090, 32MB RAM, 1TB SSD M.2, 1TB SSD M.2, 2TB SSD M.2, 32" Monitor 4K, Pimax Crystal

• Official Post

Hi Michael,

We had similar threads in the past were we explained our intentions.

I always asked what exactly you need to have different between aircraft but never got a really good answer.

What stops you from having several devices like your yoke and sidestick connected all the time? As far as I know we allow multiple devices to control the same axis and the last one you used will become the active controller.

The only thing that I see that maybe needs a differentiation is the assignment of the throttle levers. You might want to have a different assignment for a single engine, twin engine or multi-engine aircraft, gliders or fighters if you only have a single throttle quadrant. But you probably don't need to change something within one aircraft category... Or, realistically speaking, what would do different between say...

an A320, B737, LJ45, F15, F18 or any other twin jet?
    or between C90, B58, P38 or other twin engine aircraft?

or between B747, A380 or any other jet with that many engines?

or between C172, Camel, DR400, Extra, Pitts, F4U, Jungmeister? (e.g. switch flaps for propeller speed)

Or maybe you could live with a totally different solution?

Define which device axes are your priority axes (axis 1, 2, 3, 4 in that order)

and which functions you prefer to control with axes: E.g. throttles (all together or individual), next your propeller speed, then mixture, then flaps and maybe airbrakes (in that order).

And then the simulator could decide what to assign where. E.g. if the simulator sees an aircraft with flaps but without propeller speed it could swap those out for you. This way you don't have to setup anything much and it doesn't depend on the aircraft specifically but we can find an optimal solution for you.

We could even break this down further into few basic decisions:

Multi throttle controls | one axes for all | two axes (smart) | as many axes as there are engines |

Multi propeller-speed controls (same options as above)

Multi mixture controls (same options as above)

Please reorder to change the priority

| Throttle | Propeller Speed | Mixture | Flaps | Airbrake | (you could for example drag them left and right)

• To begin with, I'll try Tom's suggestion which is really simple but I never might have detected.

Jan, I think there is a difference between, say, the A320 and the B737. In the A320 I assign ailerons to the sidestick/joystick while I assign them to the yoke in the B737, and I can only assign them once, can't I (otherwise I get the yellow exclamation mark, for a reason)? Otherwise I agree, you don't need a host of configurations but just 3 or 4 basic classes like single propeller or twin jet etc., yes.

Anyway, thanks to you both for the suggestions giving me some ideas to play with.

Kind regards, Michael

Intel i7-6700K 4.0 GHz / Asus MAXIMUS VIII RANGER / Kingston 32 GB DDR4 / Samsung SSD M.2 500 GB + Samsung SSD 1 TB + Intel SSD 500 GB (AeroflyFS2) + WD HD 6 TB / EVGA GTX 1080Ti 11 GB / LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440 / HP Reverb / Win 10/64

• The yellow exclamation mark only shows that you have multiple assignments but in your case that is exactly what you want, right? Have you tried it with both controllers connected and assigned at the same time?

No, I didn't. I guessed the yellow exclamation mark would be poisonous;) and avoided it by any means. But I'll try if it works and report back. If it works, it might indeed provide a proper solution.

Thanks and kind regards, Michael

• What stops you from having several devices like your yoke and sidestick connected all the time? As far as I know we allow multiple devices to control the same axis and the last one you used will become the active controller.

This is why I use the on/off function. I have a yoke and a joystick. If I have flown the R22 (joystick) and I change to the Cessna the joystick is active and I cannot use the yoke until I set the joystick to 'off'. Then I change to the FA-18 I set the yoke to 'off' and the joystick to 'on'.

Regards,

Thomas

i7-14700KF @ 5.6 GHz, Geforce RTX 4090, 32MB RAM, 1TB SSD M.2, 1TB SSD M.2, 2TB SSD M.2, 32" Monitor 4K, Pimax Crystal

• I guessed the yellow exclamation mark would be poisonous ;) and avoided it by any means.

I also thought at first the exclamation mark in that yellow triangle was a warning that needed immediate attention and a fix but it isn't: as Jet-Pack said it's just a mark to let you know the button or axis or whatever has been assigned to more than one function. I think it's actually normal and unavoidable to see it here and there.

I do think however a different icon would be more appropriate, like a green circle with a + in it. Green means 'okay' while yellow means 'watch out'. The exclamation mark also makes you think something is wrong. In addition: a triangle usually is used when something is forbidden..! So maybe IPACS might want to change this to prevent confusion? A green circle with a + won't scare anyone. ;) Every time I go to the control screen I immediately think something is wrong even though I know it's all fine. ;)

• I did experiment a bit. I settled assigning several control devices to the axis and switching them off/on depending on the plane, which does the job perfectly and gives clear configurations. Thanks once more for the idea, Tom.

From my side this topic might be marked "resolved" to help others with the same question detecting it.

Kind regards, Michael

• I'd still prefer that a profile could be saved for each aircraft. For example I use two Saitek throttle quadrants for the Duchess with the two levers on the left for the throttle, the two in the middle for the prop pitch and the two on the right for mixture. When I fly the Learjet, I use the same Saitek throttle blocks with the lefternmost lever for the spoilers, the right lever of the first and the left of the second for the throttle and the right lever of the second quadrant for the Flaps. Same for the A320, I use some modified Levers for that. Either way, I have to reprogram the throttle blocks every time I switch from the Duchess to the Learjet iror the other way around. So separate control configs for each plane like in FSUIPC or at least an option to save different profiles like in default P3D would be nice.

• Official Post

I'd still prefer that a profile could be saved for each aircraft. For example I use two Saitek throttle quadrants for the Duchess with the two levers on the left for the throttle, the two in the middle for the prop pitch and the two on the right for mixture. When I fly the Learjet, I use the same Saitek throttle blocks with the lefternmost lever for the spoilers, the right lever of the first and the left of the second for the throttle and the right lever of the second quadrant for the Flaps. Same for the A320, I use some modified Levers for that. Either way, I have to reprogram the throttle blocks every time I switch from the Duchess to the Learjet iror the other way around.

So you are willing to setup all controls for all 20 default aircraft? Don't you think there is at least a little bit of similarity between the control assignments for a twin engine piston Baron B58 and a twin engine piston Duchess?

Between these two aircraft, what would you assign different? And doesn't the C90 fall into the same category, too?

And what would you switch if you change from the Learjet to the A320?

Of course different assignments are desired between different aircraft categories, but could you live with having one assignment for the different categories, instead of for each aircraft? This could then switch automatically, depending on what aircraft you load. And it would work for any new aircraft that you install - without the need to set up everything all over again.

And what do you think of my other suggestions, i.e. prioritizing which functions you want on your throttle quadrants and then not even needing to assign anything specifically for the different categories?

• IMHO the best approach is the way FSUIPC by Pete Dowson handles it for FSX and P3D. You create a profile and assign each axis and function to a lever or button of your hardware. Then you can save different profiles, for instance : single engine prop, twin engine prop, twin jet engine and so on. Or you can create a profile for each single aircraft, theoretically even for different subtypes of aircraft like float, ski and tundra versions of the Turbo Otter. Whenever you load a new aircraft, you are asked which profile should be assigned to it. You can still change that later if you made a mistake. Every change to a profile applies to all aircraft assigned to it. You should keep in mind that some of us not only have a yoke and throttle but maybe a full blown Homecockpit with dozens of switches. I had a generic Homecockpit with interchangeable controllers, simplugins panel builder for instruments and around 50 switches and buttons on a panel. With FSUIPC I could customize it to many different types of aircraft.

If all this is not possible then let us at least save a number of controller profiles that can be used for different aircraft.

• Like in P3D, you can load a specific xml config file. My setup is like this

Helo.xml

VRS F18.xml

single engine.xml

dual engine.xml

It would be great if we could do some loading like this. The way DCS handles it however would be far better, fo course. You store the settings for each AC independently in easy and in pro mode.

X-Plane 12.x | DCS 2.5.7 | War Thunder | Aerofly FS4

Win11-x64 | Lenovo Legion T7 34LMZ5 | Intel i7-10700K @3.6GHz | Kingston FuryX RGB 32GB DDR4 PC3733 | 6TB SSD Samsung 850 Pro | 3TB M2 PCI 4x | Gigabyte RTX 3070 Ti Vision OC | TM Hotas Warthog | Saitek Combat Pedals | Reverb G2 V2 | Lenovo Legion Y25g-30 360hz

• And, XP 11.xx where it provides for each individual aircraft to have a profile assigned that automatically loads with the respective aircraft. Sometimes even small but useful distinctions e.g. between a Spitfire, Hurricane and P51 are captured and recreated when the respective aircraft is selected in the aircraft menu. It follows that different button and joystick/yoke/throttle(s)/mixture/prop(s) assignments for single, multiple engine, turboprop and jets are accommodated in a simple, uncluttered, non-conflicted way. :)

P3D 3.4/XP 10,11/AFS2/DCS/Flyinside FS - Win 10 Home 64 - ASRock Z270 Extreme 4, Intel i7 7700k 4.5GHz, 32Gb 3,200 G.Skill Trident RAM, Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti Extreme 11Gb, Samsung 960 Pro 512Gb M.2 NVMe + 2Tb WD Gold, NZXT Kraken X62 Oculus Rift.

• Hey'all, I simply have to join this conversation..

This is my post from Novenber 2016:

"Here's another idea of mine that would make our lives much easier.

As we have many different aircraft in this beautiful sim I was wondering if IPACS could implement the option to save individual controls assignments to a custom profiles. We could then load these profiles to have best control over the chosen aircraft.

For example with Saitek TPM module, I prefer to fly single props in a way this module was designed. However flying 737 gives this module great advantage to control each engine individually with (P) & (M) levers, leaving the (T) for spoilers.

This is very comfortable set-up for 737 by the way, but having to reassign these controls every time I want to change aircraft is just little bit pesky.."

I understand the need for IPACS to keep things simple and "casual" but let's be honest here.. In which world did the casual users build extremely sustainable and supportive base for any sim developer....?

Over and Out

Jay

• I understand the need for IPACS to keep things simple and "casual" but let's be honest here.. In which world did the casual users build extremely sustainable and supportive base for any sim developer....?

There are actually many examples, all of which, not having been forced into a hardcore only niche went on to make the type of money consumer-level study sims can only dream of. We could start with War Thunder and its millions of users, and go on to the Ace Combat series with its millions of users and numerous sequels. From there we could mention Arma 3, Vtol Vr, etc......

The list is pretty long, and the one thing they all have in common is that they are very popular, made money..... And are not often spoken of on hardcore FS dedicated forums. :S

Devons rig

Intel Core i5-13600K - Core i5 13th Gen 14-Core (6P+8E) @ 5.5Ghz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 32GB RAM DDR5 6000 / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070Ti GAMING OC 12G / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 6x Samsung SSD/NVME's various sizes / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 ATX Motherboard DDR5

• In another words..

As soon as you leave the "save grounds", the real adoption will take place and AFS will become interesting for 3rd party devs, cockpit builders, hardware developers and the real flight sim enthusiasts.....

No sim is gonna make it over a decade without proper hardware punk! (just my opinion though)

There are actually many examples, all of which, not having been forced into a hardcore only niche went on to make the type of money consumer-level study sims can only dream of. We could start with War Thunder and its millions of users, and go on to the Ace Combat series with its millions of users and numerous sequels. From there we could mention Arma 3, Vtol Vr, etc......

The list is pretty long, and the one thing they all have in common is that they are very popular, made money..... And are not often spoken of on hardcore FS dedicated forums. :S

But we're not after money here.. are we?:/

Also I was thinking more "simulation"...

Anyway , back to the subject, I would very much appreciate more complex control options though..

Over and Out

Jay

• Official Post

HI Jay, welcome back I guess :)

Profiles are one possible solution but there could still be an even better solution that just nobody has thought of yet. That is why I keep asking what you want to assign specifically and what things are actually different between aircraft. Because as I see it only the throttle quadrants have been mentioned so far and a few custom home cockpits that have a lot of controls that could be used differently for different aircraft. But I'm not yet hearing anyone that says: no I want the landing light switch in aircraft A to be on my switch 1 but it in aircraft B it should be on switch 2. Nobody actually likes assigning all these buttons and switches and we all tend to assign the same stuff on the same switches to not get confused with what they do every time.

Just some ideas that I want to throw in here which would mean less menu clicky thingy and more powerful and intelligent assignments.

Maybe we can detect that you have a throttle quadrant connected and then prioritize which controls you have on there. Then all you need to do is connect it via usb and depending on the aircraft the assignments switch automatically - no configuration needed and you desired controls (e.g. left+right throttle for 737 and throttle and mixture for cessna) will be assigned for you. Just as an idea: we could also map the controls from left to right like in the virtual cockpit, so if you got 6 levers you will automatically have the exact same setup like in the virtual cockpit.

I could also imagine a 3D menu for the assignments: click the thing in the virtual cockpit, move the hardware switch or lever to assign the control, click the next one and proceed until you customized your home cockpit. The downside is that that way still needs options to transfer a setup to multiple aircraft. Otherwise that would be a pretty neat solution.