"AeroScenery" Tutorial

• I am no expert but this is the way I make my scenery using Nick Hod's free "AeroScenery" software.

The main panel I have marked with RED lines to indicate what you have to set up before downloading the images.

IMAGE SOURCES: ArcGIS, Bing or Google.

IMAGE DETAIL I do all my main scenery in 2.389 M/PIX (Airports or areas of interest you can remake in a different resolution)

CHOOSE FOR ME This is a very useful button and takes away all the guess work

Then select the three boxes, "Download Image Tiles", "Stitch Image Tiles" and "Generate AID/TMC Files"

Main Panel

Settings Panel

Select your tiles to download. In size 9 I usually select 6 tiles as shown in the picture below and marked in red.

Now your OK to press the "START" button.

Once the download has completed you can view your stitched images in "Documents", "AeroScenery" "working" folder.

To make the scenery for FS 2 you now untick the 3 boxes and tick the "Run GeoConvert" and press the "START" button.

This takes about 60 to 90 minutes per tile.

When you are happy with the finished scenery you can delete all the other files leaving only the TTC to save space on your hard drive.

Editing the coastlines has already been covered in one of my earlier tutorials.

• Hi Michael,

maybe you can add in Tom's picture on adapting the number format setting for German (and supposedly some other) users:

AeroScenery made scenery loading in patches

(including a remark this may haven an impact on other programs).

While I don't know what the TMC parameter does, there is certainly a difference in the generated files depending on the settings 0.01 and 001. I guess a lot of non-English AeroScenery users are caught by this trap, most of them without knowing it.

I dropped an issue report at GitHub, but I am afraid Nick has abandoned the program so I doubt this will get modified.

Kind regards, Michael (II)

Intel i7-6700K 4.0 GHz / Asus MAXIMUS VIII RANGER / Kingston 32 GB DDR4 / Samsung SSD M.2 500 GB + Samsung SSD 1 TB + Intel SSD 500 GB (AeroflyFS2) + WD HD 6 TB / EVGA GTX 1080Ti 11 GB / LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440 / HP Reverb / Win 10/64

• So, whats now the value I need to have there. I am confused.

I have 0.01 in there. (Default Switzerland the decimal separator is DOT

Still, I downloaded all Switzerland in ZL17 and I got patches loading as described. Sometimes when flying on the F18 it would not even load. This does not happen on the AS default Switzerland ortho.

Do in need to generate level 9 through 15?

I do primarily ZL16 and ZL18 at the airport if available.

X-Plane 12.x | DCS 2.5.7 | War Thunder | Aerofly FS4

Win11-x64 | Lenovo Legion T7 34LMZ5 | Intel i7-10700K @3.6GHz | Kingston FuryX RGB 32GB DDR4 PC3733 | 6TB SSD Samsung 850 Pro | 3TB M2 PCI 4x | Gigabyte RTX 3070 Ti Vision OC | TM Hotas Warthog | Saitek Combat Pedals | Reverb G2 V2 | Lenovo Legion Y25g-30 360hz

• So, whats now the value I need to have there. I am confused.

I have 0.01 in there. (Default Switzerland the decimal separator is DOT

Still, I downloaded all Switzerland in ZL17 and I got patches loading as described. Sometimes when flying on the F18 it would not even load. This does not happen on the AS default Switzerland ortho.

I don't think anymore the 0.01 issue and the patches issue are related, as your example confirms. Nonetheless, users should make sure they have the 0.01 default TMC value while using AeroScenery.

I still get the patches, Any means I tried failed so far. And as in your case I don't get them in default scenery. If memory serves me right, I didn't get them either in FSET/GeoConvert helper made scenery.

I still hope "someone" who does not get those nasty patches with AeroScenery can help locating the origin of the issue.

But perhaps this rather belongs to the other thread instead of this Tutorial thread.

Kind regards, Michael

Intel i7-6700K 4.0 GHz / Asus MAXIMUS VIII RANGER / Kingston 32 GB DDR4 / Samsung SSD M.2 500 GB + Samsung SSD 1 TB + Intel SSD 500 GB (AeroflyFS2) + WD HD 6 TB / EVGA GTX 1080Ti 11 GB / LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440 / HP Reverb / Win 10/64