R22: Changed Flight Model [Professional Mode] ??

• I still have to say, its broken for me, and I'm on the verge of giving up.

In "easy" mode, if I use the vr hands to pull back on the collective, there is also a very gentle adjustment to the rudder, I suspect to help in controllability.

Use an Xbox controller, or even the VR thumbsticks to move the collective up/down, and the pedals/rudder are violently yanked from side to side, throwing the copter out of control. I simply can't use it.

Devons rig

Intel Core i5-13600K - Core i5 13th Gen 14-Core (6P+8E) @ 5.5Ghz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 32GB RAM DDR5 6000 / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070Ti GAMING OC 12G / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 6x Samsung SSD/NVME's various sizes / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 ATX Motherboard DDR5

• HiFlyer: We just updated the Steam version. Could you please try the R22 again with either Xbox controller or VR controllers in Easy Mode. Is it controllable now?

Yes!!! Finally my evil, rudder-stomping invisible copilot has been retired.

Devons rig

Intel Core i5-13600K - Core i5 13th Gen 14-Core (6P+8E) @ 5.5Ghz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 32GB RAM DDR5 6000 / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070Ti GAMING OC 12G / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 6x Samsung SSD/NVME's various sizes / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 ATX Motherboard DDR5

• Perhaps Torsten Jan and Jeff could consider allowing profi mode in mobile (and fixing the reverse movement mobile turn coordinator). After using profi R 22 in PC, the mobile permanant easy mode is simply unpleasant. PC and the brilliant 2019 are delightfully close but the R 22 is an exception.

• HiFlyer: We just updated the Steam version. Could you please try the R22 again with either Xbox controller or VR controllers in Easy Mode. Is it controllable now?

dvd updated too?

X-Plane 12.x | DCS 2.5.7 | War Thunder | Aerofly FS4

Win11-x64 | Lenovo Legion T7 34LMZ5 | Intel i7-10700K @3.6GHz | Kingston FuryX RGB 32GB DDR4 PC3733 | 6TB SSD Samsung 850 Pro | 3TB M2 PCI 4x | Gigabyte RTX 3070 Ti Vision OC | TM Hotas Warthog | Saitek Combat Pedals | Reverb G2 V2 | Lenovo Legion Y25g-30 360hz

• Iv also tried to give this new model a chance, but in my opinion its not as real as the previous one. I fly with flightlink professional helicopter controls, collective with twist throttle, floor mounted cyclic and helicopter pedals. I have 180 hours in the real R22 and in my humble opinion the previous model was a much closer redemption of the real R22, it was not at all difficult to fly (if you have the propper controls) it felt just right. My only criticism of it was the exagerated yaw at the end of an auto when you recover by adding throttle, and also the speed could be tweeked a bit, it didn't accelerate after transision quite as much as the real R22, (a working fuel system and carb heat would also be welcomed) but those critisms are minor and I was more than happy to live with them. Unfortunately now I'm finding myself flying DCS huey more than Aeroflys R22 because the new flight model is just not as enjoyable as the previous one.

simple test , real R22 and previous flight model, when you lift off in the real R22 and the previous flight model you need to apply a little bit of left pedal in anticipation of the rotor torque that will catch you when you pull collective , once you apply left pedal and catch the spin you need to stabelize all other movement with the pedals and cyclic before gently raising the collective to lift off into the air. this model requires almost zero left pedal and zero stabelization, you can just pop in to the air without hardly any correction. the previous model was spot on in this regard.

how real pilots are saying that it is more accurate now is beyond me!

The worst day of flying still beats the best day of real work.

• simple test , real R22 and previous flight model, when you lift off in the real R22 and the previous flight model you need to apply a little bit of left pedal in anticipation of the rotor torque that will catch you when you pull collective , once you apply left pedal and catch the spin you need to stabelize all other movement with the pedals and cyclic before gently raising the collective to lift off into the air. this model requires almost zero left pedal and zero stabelization, you can just pop in to the air without hardly any correction. the previous model was spot on in this regard.

how real pilots are saying that it is more accurate now is beyond me!

There must be something seriously wrong with your setup, the new flight model still needs massive left pedal input to counter the torque induced yaw during takeoff and still a whole lot of cyclic corrections to counter the roll tendencies, it just doesn't bounce from full left to full right within a fraction of a second or by moving the pedals or cyclic by the a millimeter anymore like it did before. Are you sure you checked the professional mode checkbox?

• Are you sure you checked the professional mode checkbox?

Maybe, because the checkbox is not very obvious - it is a white square in my case, when active.

X-Plane 12.x | DCS 2.5.7 | War Thunder | Aerofly FS4

Win11-x64 | Lenovo Legion T7 34LMZ5 | Intel i7-10700K @3.6GHz | Kingston FuryX RGB 32GB DDR4 PC3733 | 6TB SSD Samsung 850 Pro | 3TB M2 PCI 4x | Gigabyte RTX 3070 Ti Vision OC | TM Hotas Warthog | Saitek Combat Pedals | Reverb G2 V2 | Lenovo Legion Y25g-30 360hz

• I just purchased the non-Steam version of Aerofly FS2 on the recommendation of another real world R22 pilot who said that it was the most realistic R22 simulation, but he has not used the simulator for a long time since starting his real world flying. I agree with the original poster (OP) that I feel the version 2.04.07.31 flight model is too easy in some aspects of flight in the professional mode. For example, transverse flow effect and yaw effect in achieving effective translational lift is less pronounced than real world. I am worried that using the simulator will promote bad habits in my real world R22 training, since I don't have to compensate as much in the simulator.

What is the original version of the R22 that the OP liked better, is it version 2.04.03.15? Is it possible to download the original version of the R22 flight model for me to try? Thank you.

Edited once, last by helisim8 (February 27, 2020 at 6:09 PM).

• after the last update of the dvd version, I have no choice in R -22 professional mode, there is no window indicating whether it will be corrected or only changed by me. I also noticed that the pedals move depending on the lifting of the overall stroke lever, it's strange I hope you will correct it :)

• Can a profi-like R-22 mode be made available in mobile Jan?

I realise that rudder and throttle sliders can inhibit each other a bit when 2019 and 2020 are maxed out by the user selections and conditions. Perhaps mobile Aerofly cannot do this?

Edited once, last by Overloaded: Wrong Moderator addressed, sorry Jeff & Jan. (March 5, 2020 at 7:27 PM).

• Hello,

A potential new Aerofly user here.

I have invested a great deal in realistic helicopter flight controls. These work great and feel very realistic in XP11, but I have also been interested in AFS2 especially because of the EC135, but also the R22.

The thing is, reading this thread and watching some youtube videos I am a bit uncertain if the helicopter flight model really is intended for advanced/professional setups, or more for a general gaming audience?

One thing I notice in the youtube videos that people seem to have no problem controlling the heli with VR motion controllers, which seems more "game'ish" to me, as it could never give the fine detailed input a high-end cyclic controller would.

Another thing is that in real-life the R22 is quite tricky to hover and not all to stable, but in this thread many claim it feels very stable in the hover.

If this simulator is meant more towards the big gaming market, it would make sense they make the helicopters a bit more forgiving than in real-life due to the fact gamers use such low-fidelity controls such as gamepads or VR motion controllers. They mostly look for eye-candy, not realism.

To sum it up: Should I just look elsewhere if I want to make full use of my controls and get a very realistic helicopter simulation, or does the AFS2 have option to take full advantage of this kind of setup?

• The R22 is very realistic and quite hard to get perfectly still in a hover, the EC135 and the freeware Lynx are more stable as they should be...

I do fly rotorcraft in XP11 and DCS for years now but the R22 in Aerofly is my favourite heli for more then a year now, also because I like light heli's.

Compared to the RC heli's I have flown for years Aerofly has a pretty good flightmodel, and some real life R22 pilots do think so too....

Just give it a try, it's only 60 bucks for a sim and three rotorcraft!

Regards,

Peter Splinter

i5-7400@3,4 GHz, 16GB RAM, GTX 1660 Super, Pico 4, Quest 2 , 'Vintage' Pro Flight Trainer, X52 Pro, VKB pedals

• For me heli flying in Aerofly FS2 is great because it is a combination of:

- a very realistic flight model

- a great VR experience

- an exellent performance

You won't be disappointed in this respect.

However you did not say too much about your setting and what you expect from a settings point of view.

Regards,

Thomas

i7-14700KF @ 5.6 GHz, Geforce RTX 4090, 32MB RAM, 1TB SSD M.2, 1TB SSD M.2, 2TB SSD M.2, 32" Monitor 4K, Pimax Crystal

• I use flightlink professional cyclic, collective and pedals with aerofly fs 2, I have around 500 real life flight hours in R22s and R44s, iv also been an avid flight simmer since the 80s, I have x-plane 11, DCS, flyinside. Plus loads of payware helicopters for x-plane) And in my humble opinion there is no better or more realistic flight model of an R22 than the one you will find in aerofly fs 2. Also the ec 132 albeit still in beta, is my most enjoyable helicopter to fly across all the sims, DCS huey and DCS mi 8 come in a close third and forth, and behind those maybe the dream foil 407 for x-plane In 5th place. But aerofly fs 2 takes top position hands down, add to that the amazing VR experience, and it's a no brainer, every helicopter flight sim enthusiast should have aerofly fs 2.

The worst day of flying still beats the best day of real work.

Edited once, last by cgerada (August 14, 2020 at 7:32 PM).

• cgerada Question since you've flown R22 in real life: Do pilots need to descend vertically with great care to avoid entering Vortex Ring State? I ask because the R22 and Lxynx in FS2 inspired me to buy a chopper in another sim. The other sim chopper is very sensitive to VRS, yet I didn't even know about the effect before, from my R22, Lynx sim experience.